Fact or Fiction

I was told the other day that Driver’s of Large Goods Vehicles now have to carry both parts of their driving license with them when driving (since 1st September 2009). Now I can’t find any proof of this legislation…so ist fact or fiction :question:

fiction

friction. well there will be now you’ve given vosa a new made up rule. :laughing:

FICTION
but I know why this rumour has arisen :slight_smile:

Many said that with the introduction of the LGV driver cpc on Sept 10 this year that the authorities would need to check that the driver has aquired (grandfather) rights for it and they said that they only way this could be done is if the driver produced their licence - ABSOLUTE RUBBISH !! - the authorities can do what they have always done… check on the DVLA database :smiley:

hope that clears things up

I have always understood if you dont have both parts of your Driving License to produce either at the roadside or Police Station, neither part is valid.

That doesnt just apply to HGV/LGV drivers, it’s for everyone!

Maybe ‘they’re’ (enter mythical creature) are just enforcing this!

Strictly speaking it’s an offence if you don’t produce your licence (both parts) if requested to do so by someone with the relevent authority; this applies to any licence holder, not just HGV. If they issue a ‘producer’ giving you 7 days to produce it at a police station then complying forms a valid defence against the offence.

like rrpj said

and i will give you an example!!

if you have been pulled by a police and they ask for your insurance and DL etc and you don’t give it to them you are liable to be arrested for it there and then, But this is where the horti comes into it. police can give you a Producer and give you 7 days to take it down to your local police station and show it there.

so yes it is a fiction because by you giving your Date of birth and home address it can be checked there and then if you have one or not
Mick

I’ve never been asked for my licence at the side of the road always got a produce!

as an agency driver i always carry my licence…most places want a copy,some like stobart take a copy every shift!..no licence…no work.

I have always got my licence on me, but would never admit to having the paper part because I’m scared of a coppper putting an endorsement straight onto it.

tofer:
I have always got my licence on me, but would never admit to having the paper part because I’m scared of a coppper putting an endorsement straight onto it.

Coppers don’t put endorsements in licences anyway. The old way when the council ran the local licensing offices was for the courts to write the endorsement in your licence book, nowadays the magistrates court sends the licence to DVLA, the points are then checkable by electronic means

i got told a couple of weeks ago that if you do produce your licence at the side of the road and give them the paper part and the photocard and your paper bit is folded so they can see your driver number and your address but cant see the endorsements section they are not allowed to open it up, and if they do and give you points you can contest it and maybe get away with it as them seeing points, or no points at all, as the case may be could have influenced thier decision t=o give you points.

i dont know if this is true or not but would anybody like to try it if they ever get stopped? i certainly would!

mrpj:
Strictly speaking it’s an offence if you don’t produce your licence (both parts) if requested to do so by someone with the relevent authority; this applies to any licence holder, not just HGV. If they issue a ‘producer’ giving you 7 days to produce it at a police station then complying forms a valid defence against the offence.

That’s a load of baloney, as I don’t have ‘both parts’.

I have a paper-only licence, which I’ve had for over 20 years.

Andrew Leitch:
That’s a load of baloney, as I don’t have ‘both parts’.

That’s ok - if got paper only then only that part is necessary

Andrew Leitch:
I have a paper-only licence, which I’ve had for over 20 years.

how come you have never had to change it for a photocard one :question:

ROG:

I’ve never had any reason to send my licence back, e.g. change address etc, and my paper licence is still in date as I’m not 45 yet.

Andrew Leitch:

ROG:

I’ve never had any reason to send my licence back, e.g. change address etc, and my paper licence is still in date as I’m not 45 yet.

That was the same for me - had to change it at my 45 years medical

Andrew Leitch:
That’s a load of baloney

opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1988/uk … 0052_en_14

Rule 164 (1)(a)

mrpj:

Andrew Leitch:
That’s a load of baloney

Rule 164 (1)(a)

mrpj:
Strictly speaking it’s an offence if you don’t produce your licence (both parts)

Rule 164 (1)(a) which you refer to does not mention ‘both parts’ of a licence.

What you posted is baloney.

Andrew Leitch:

mrpj:

Andrew Leitch:
That’s a load of baloney

Rule 164 (1)(a)

mrpj:
Strictly speaking it’s an offence if you don’t produce your licence (both parts)

Rule 164 (1)(a) which you refer to does not mention ‘both parts’ of a licence.

What you posted is baloney.

Actually what you posted is baloney too :laughing:

We are required by an EC Directive to issue photocard licences to all UK drivers by 29 July 2001.

Wheel Nut:

We are required by an EC Directive to issue photocard licences to all UK drivers by 29 July 2001.

That is issue - does it refer to a new licence issued only or does it say retrospectively as well ■■