Fact or Fiction

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

We are required by an EC Directive to issue photocard licences to all UK drivers by 29 July 2001.

That is issue - does it refer to new licences only or does it say retrospectively as well ■■

Exactly…it is issue. My paper licence was issued before the EC directive came into effect.

My paper licence is valid until such times I send it back and I am issued with a photocard.

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022084

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) no longer issue paper driving licences. The European Union has a directive requiring all member states to issue driving licences in a card format containing the licence holder’s photo and signature.

Now if mrpj & Wheel Nut would be man enough to both admit they were wrong…we can move on.

Lee G:
i got told a couple of weeks ago that if you do produce your licence at the side of the road and give them the paper part and the photocard and your paper bit is folded so they can see your driver number and your address but cant see the endorsements section they are not allowed to open it up, and if they do and give you points you can contest it and maybe get away with it as them seeing points, or no points at all, as the case may be could have influenced thier decision t=o give you points.

i dont know if this is true or not but would anybody like to try it if they ever get stopped? i certainly would!

Its a load of rubbish Lee.

Andrew Leitch:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

We are required by an EC Directive to issue photocard licences to all UK drivers by 29 July 2001.

That is issue - does it refer to new licences only or does it say retrospectively as well ■■

Exactly…it is issue. My paper licence was issued before the EC directive came into effect.

My paper licence is valid until such times I send it back and I am issued with a photocard.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) no longer issue paper driving licences. The European Union has a directive requiring all member states to issue driving licences in a card format containing the licence holder’s photo and signature.

Now if mrpj & Wheel Nut would be man enough to both admit they were wrong…we can move on.

My paper only one is still valid too. don’t see why i should pa for a photocard one either.

openeurope.org.uk/research/euandyou.pdf

Photocard driving licences. EU Directive 91/439/EC required all driving licences issued by the UK after July 2001 to be in card format and to contain the licence holder’s image and signature and the EU flag. Photocard licences began to replace paper licences in 1998.
Because of the introduction of the photo, drivers must renew their photocards every 10 years from 2008.

I’ve never had any reason to send my licence back, e.g. change address etc, and my paper licence is still in date as I’m not 45 yet.

A new, updated (medical or new catagory aquired), or replaced licence counts as a new issue so will be required to be a two part photocard and paper licence.

Andrew Leitch:

Actually I think we’re both right :smiley: . When I said both parts I simply meant licence, the point being that if you do have a photocard (which I accept isn’t a legal requirement) both parts are needed in order to be accepted. I think we’re talking about two separate issues :exclamation:

Andrew Leitch:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

I took the quote from a DVLA document after a mate of mine tried to hire a car at East midlands Airport with a paper licence, they refused it and I had to hire it on my photocard licence, it was they who gave him the document. but heyho move on then, sorry if it confused anyone.

Wheel Nut:
I took the quote from a DVLA document

Seems like you got hold of a partial regulation - it happens :slight_smile:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:
I took the quote from a DVLA document

Seems like you got hold of a partial regulation - it happens :slight_smile:

I think it was a guide Rog :laughing: