Do I need to take my license with me while driving

New to this game, past my class C a couple of months ago and have been driving for a local firm for about six weeks. I understand about keeping 28 days (as well as the current week) of tachos with me but I’ve never carried my license. Do I need to legally? And if so which bit(s), just the paper, the photo card or both?

Thanks in advance.

Strictly speaking i don’t think you need to carry it on you at all times. However i always have mine with me (both parts) in case i do get stopped by vosa/police and asked to see it. Saves having to produce it at a later date.
I may be wrong though. Can anyone else confirm this?

jad24369:
Strictly speaking i don’t think you need to carry it on you at all times. However i always have mine with me (both parts) in case i do get stopped by vosa/police and asked to see it. Saves having to produce it at a later date.
I may be wrong though. Can anyone else confirm this?

You are correct - they will give you a ‘produce at a police station of your choice within 7 days’ if you cannot produce at the time of being stopped.
Same thing applies to insurance and MOT (if required)

I believe that strictly speaking it is an offence to fail to produce your licence when requested by someone in authority, so if you’re stopped and don’t have it then technically you’ve broken the law. However producing them within 7 days is a valid defence. Not 100% sure on this though.

Cheers guys.

I’ve had a producer while car driving before, wasn’t sure whether driving the truck would bring a different requirement though.

burntoutbanger:
Cheers guys.

I’ve had a producer while car driving before, wasn’t sure whether driving the truck would bring a different requirement though.

Same rules apply

burntoutbanger:
New to this game, past my class C a couple of months ago and have been driving for a local firm for about six weeks. I understand about keeping 28 days (as well as the current week) of tachos with me but I’ve never carried my license. Do I need to legally? And if so which bit(s), just the paper, the photo card or both?

Thanks in advance.

It’s the current day plus the previous 28 days :wink:

tachograph:

burntoutbanger:
New to this game, past my class C a couple of months ago and have been driving for a local firm for about six weeks. I thought I understood about keeping 28 days (as well as the current week) of tachos with me but I’ve never carried my license. Do I need to legally? And if so which bit(s), just the paper, the photo card or both?

Thanks in advance.

It’s the current day plus the previous 28 days :wink:

Corrected.

:blush:

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:07 pm Post subject:

I believe that strictly speaking it is an offence to fail to produce your licence when requested by someone in authority, so if you're stopped and don't have it then technically you've broken the law. However producing them within 7 days is a valid defence. Not 100% sure on this though.

It’s the same as in your car - you’re technically “arrested” for not having it on you, but de-arrested if you produce it at a police staion within 7 days. It’s a police thing (i don’t understand)
I always carry both parts on me when ever I’m driving (but not together)

i’m not a 100% but in my book written by an ex traffic cop, he states that the police will normally only pull you if they think or know you’ve done something wrong and if you produce your licence at the roadside it’s an “unintentional admission of guilt” so he advises that even if you have it on you, not to show it.
what do you think? [zb] or not?

chris:
i’m not a 100% but in my book written by an ex traffic cop, he states that the police will normally only pull you if they think or know you’ve done something wrong and if you produce your licence at the roadside it’s an “unintentional admission of guilt” so he advises that even if you have it on you, not to show it.

I think that would be “to surrender” rather than simply produce. :confused:

Take for example a fixed penalty notice for say speeding,

In England & Wales, you can surrender it at the roadside, or to the police station of choice within 7 days. Then the FPN can either be paid within a set time (28 days?) or a court hearing requested.

In Scotland, you send it to the clerk of the court with the fixed penalty notice within 28 days.

It’s something like that anyway. It’s ages since I’ve had one and of those two (1 Sco, 1 Eng) I was never fined or prosecuted anyway. (1 ran out of time due to their incompetence and in the other the licence was sent back after requesting a court hearing with no covering letter (just the licence) and the matter dropped :open_mouth: :laughing: )

My understanding, right or wrong, has always been that a car licence can be produced later but an HGV licence (obviously this dates from the days when they were seperate documents) must be carried at all times that a heavy goods vehicle is being driven.
Makes no difference to me. I have always carried all my documents with me, including passport, as, in the days before my first trip abroad I was always hoping for someone to say ‘just get yourself down to the docks…’ :unamused:
My habit proved to be valid. My first trip abroad was when I tipped in Middlesborough, rang for the backload, and got a load of doors for Dublin. :laughing:
I would really have kicked myself if I’d been unable to take that job.

Even today I never leave home in the car without my wallet which contains, licence (required in France), FCOS (cpc), passport, carte de sejour (residence permit), petanque licence, library card. :blush:
I wasn’t a Boy Scout for nothing. :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

With the modern computer checking systems, the cop at the roadside can check what licence catagories you hold very quickly and will allow you to produce within 7 days. If the cop is not satisfied as to your identity then that is a different matter.This applies to UK citizens but I do not know how it works with non UK ones.

When you produce your license they require both parts the id card and the paper section.

The paper section holds your provisional entitlements and your endorsements.

I agree with what chris quoted from his book, if i have my licence and you show them it with a couple of offences on it, they may decide to proceed rather than give you a lecture about what you done wrong.

I know that i have to carry my ADR at all times when driving so you can prove at the roadside you have the competency to be driving hazardous goods.

Spardo:
My habit proved to be valid. My first trip abroad was when I tipped in Middlesborough, rang for the backload, and got a load of doors for Dublin. :laughing:
I would really have kicked myself if I’d been unable to take that job.

How so? You don’t need a passport for Ireland as it’s part of the Common Travel Area. I remember visiting in 1997 and I only had an old paper licence for the purposes of ID. :wink:

bbez:
I agree with what chris quoted from his book, if i have my licence and you show them it with a couple of offences on it, they may decide to proceed rather than give you a lecture about what you done wrong.

It may also work the other way. The story of “if you do me it’ll mean I lose my licence” has been told so many times, only to then find out that someone has a ‘clean’ licence. :wink: The idea is not to put people out of work.

We’ve got enough ‘scrotes’ sponging off the ‘welfare system’ without intentionally, or otherwise, adding to that number. The objective is to promote safer driving. If, having gained a serious number of points, some idiot seems unresponsive to gaining another few, then let that be their downfall. However, if it be a case of a marginal ‘error of judgement’ which causes harm to no other, then people realise that drivers have a family to feed and a life to lead.

If the term was ‘surrender’ as opposed to ‘produce’, then the argument has legs. Otherwise it is [zb].