Experienced Class 2 driver, now going for Class 1

Got my Rigid licence exactly 3 years ago, managed to drop straight onto agency work (3.5 T for first couple of months, then Class 2) ended up where I now work in Spring 2017 and by the summer they’d offered me a permanent position.

This website was a great help in the early days but barely even been on here for a couple of years, in a nutshell - provided you are not scared of a little bit of manual handling - my job is ■■■■ easy (typically a 30 hour week over 4 days and an average of two drops a day :open_mouth: ) so I’ve not really had that much to write about :slight_smile:

A definite highlight of the job has been my 12t Man TGL250 (with 4 over 4 manual box). With the bigger 250 engine and the instant drive from a manual box, it’s loads more satisfying to drive than some asthmatic 180 wedded to a sluggish auto, especially as I’ve often got no more than a couple of tonnes on the back…

Definitely time to go for my Class 1 though, so got training and test booked next week . Passed my Class 2 first time with the same training school, so feeling reasonably confident overall, will have to see how quickly I get the hang of the reverse :wink: (they use artics not W&D).

Not the end of the world if I don’t get through first time, at the moment i’m just looking forward to getting to grips with an Artic on public roads. Had a 30 minute try out in it the other week and could not quite believe how big it is (about twice the length of my TGL) as I was watching the trailer swing about in the mirrors.

Felt like I was in charge of my own rolling mini village :laughing:

Good luck with it mate :smiley:

Good luck for your training and test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

good luck matey :slight_smile:
as for the size of vehicle,you’ll soon get used to it.

So needless to say I didn’t pass (as I would have been straight back on here to update this thread otherwise) but doesn’t really matter now as I got through at the 2nd attempt yesterday.

Daft as it sounds I think part of the reason I passed at the 2nd attempt yesterday rather than at the first attempt a month ago is simply because I wanted it more badly (not least due to the financial pressure, as the thought of multiple artic + instructor re-hires and retests soon gets a little scary financially).

Despite the month gap, I felt at home straight away as soon as I was back behind the wheel of the Volvo FM, after a 9am start I’d already dashed off two pretty decent reverses and an uncouple / recouple by about 9.30 and both my instructor and I felt I was more confident and relaxed behind the wheel once I was out on the road than I probably was at any point last month.

15 or so hours of Artic training and then straight into a test (as I did last month) can be pretty intense and therefore pretty mentally draining.
Out on the road yesterday and finding the right lines on junctions and roundabouts came straight back - well more or less, will come to that - so overall I’d benefited from the break - I was pretty much straight back to the level I’d been at a month ago, but:

1. more relaxed (after my ‘holiday’)

2. more confident (having already done the test once before helps here :slight_smile: )

3. more focused (partly from that financial pressure I mentioned earlier).

So I passed,with ahem 11 minors ( I think the theoretical max for a pass is 15).

Two were in the yard (took a shunt on the reverse and didn’t re-couple successfully at the first attempt either) so that leaves 9 out on the road, 4 of which were for steering :open_mouth:

If like me you were under the impression that 4 minors in any one category would be a fail, then it turns out it ain’t that clear cut. I think it’s a fairly safe bet that if I’d picked up another one here I would have failed (the examiner stressed it was a fairly close run thing) but I think essentially he was marking me down for two different faults - both committed twice :

1)“kissing” a couple of kerbs on roundabouts

and

1. Using too much of the “wrong” side of the road turning left into T junctions (to avoid “kissing” any more kerbs naturally) :slight_smile:

Anyway, very very pleased to have got through. Did both licenses with Tockwith Training. I’d passed my Cat C first time with them and they’re on my doorstep. Instructors, vehicles and facilities all great, but they ain’t cheap.
If I’d not got through yesterday I think I’d have left it a few months and booked a few days on Wag and Drag with PSTT, but as it is I’ve already got 20 hours experience in the type of vehicle I’m most likely going to be driving and I got to go the 7 miles home every night while training to hang out with my cat (oh and the wife).

Another point to note, Tockwith also run a Volvo FH (think it stands for ****ing high) which is what I drove on my hour taster session with them (and wrote about at the top of the thread as feeling a bit like a “mini village”). When I turned up for my 3 days training discovered I was in the FM which I felt MUCH happier in straight away (as the cab height is much nearer to my TGL) so unless you’re coming from some huge - 3 steps up - 26 tonner I would say it’s the FM you want if you go with Tockwith (or anyone else offering a similar choice).

Although, the exact same length , the FM “feels” smaller and I found the view into the mirrors and back to the rear wheels much more natural.

I think I’d have left it a few months and booked a few days on Wag and Drag with PSTT,

Just as well you passed - - we dont run drawbar now. Only full size artics. So congratulations on the pass and all the best for the future.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done on passing.
Is a first-time failure of coupling supposed to be a minor? I didn’t get one when I messed mine up (I thought I had coupled but on the pull forward test I went shooting off :blush:). Like you I did get one for taking a shunt on the reverse though.

PASSING CE ARTIC.jpg
PASSING CE WD.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Thanks all.

SJB:
Well done on passing.
Is a first-time failure of coupling supposed to be a minor? I didn’t get one when I messed mine up (I thought I had coupled but on the pull forward test I went shooting off :blush:). Like you I did get one for taking a shunt on the reverse though.

Good point - yes that’s what happened to me, so assumed the minor on the coupling exercise was for that, but thinking about it I did also pull the wrong end out for one of the electrical accessory cables (leaving it momentarily not attached to anything :laughing: ) so maybe it was that instead - if he was even watching at that point…