Case study. Feet n inches or meters?

Been at home revising for weeks and weeks for my lgv theory test. Hours and hours worth as due to not being one for classroom situations, i thought id over revise (if there is such a thing) to try and lower the pressure at time of the test.

Ive been revising length, width and height in feet and inches.

I bought a case study practice disc and all of the questions were in meters only. Sufficient to say i got most/every one wrong.

Is the official test in meters or feet and inches or both?

Dont want to have to re learn them all again as time is against me.

Cheers Rich

I seem to remember when I did mine they were both imperial and metric

I got my self in a real state about the case study as I couldn’t find any sensible study material. eventually I rang the dvsa and asked them what did they recommend and was told the dvsa haven’t released any official study material. The material I bought including that bloody stupid pamphlet (ok its a book technically) the drivers cpc was a complete waste of time it was asking me all sorts of silly questions like your driving from England to Russia what paperwork do you need. Well if I had a job where I was required to do that then the transport office would provide it. if I was a driver owner then I would do the advanced cpc. 90% of the questions asked were things that would be dealt with on further training. The odd question that was sensible was covered by the theory book (drivers hours and the like).

My advice is don’t fret I know its easier said than done but honestly if your confident with your theory you will be fine. if you want to just bone up on all the rules for drivers hours including double manning and ferry journeys and make sure you can calculate the load weight from the mam and kerbside weights

hope this puts your mind at ease
coop

just to add I might of had some questions about the tacho as well.

Thanks for your reply.
Drivers hours and weight calculations are my weakness at the moment even thought ive read up on it time and time again…
Still got a couple of weeks to go so will be putting the hours in on those 2 subjects.

Thanks again.

Rich

Both mate.

You’ll get as an example a question saying what’s minimum height for uk Road Bridge, answers will be in ft…

Then you can guarantee same question, re worded, and the answers will be metric, reason being, please see attached images [emoji38]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

load weight is easy to calculate its mam - kerb weight so you might get a question like paul is driving a truck with a max autherised mass of 40,000 his truck weighs 12,000 how many pallets can he legally carry if each pallet weighs 2,000.

driving hours:
driving break: 45 min after 4.5 hours driving to be taken as a single rest or split into 1 of at least 15 min and 1 of 30
daily driving hours: 9 hours but can be extended to 10 twice a week
daily rest: 11 hours but can be reduced to 9 three days a week
duty hours is max of 15 per day
max duty per week is 56 hours however max fortnight duty hours is 90 so if you do 56 one week you can only do 34 the second.

wtd hours is a break of at least 20 min every 6 hours. however in 99% of situations this is immaterial as drivers hours tend to over rule.

there is special rules for ferries and trains if the journey is over a certain length you can take your daily rest during the crossing as long as there is a couchette / bunk available and this can be interrupted upto twice for no more than a total of an hour for boarding/disembarking etc.

if anyone spots a issue let me know and I will change it
coop

Top man.
Thank you.

opps meant to say there is a weekly rest period of 42 hours I think (someone please check this) however it can be reduced to 24 hours but has to be made up over the following 3 weeks. there is more to it than that but I never managed to get my head round it and as there was only one question out of 1000 on it in the dvsa question book I didn’t bother. Again maybe someone else can shed more light on it.

last thing they might ask you for the theory test on driving hours is the working week it starts at 00:00 Monday and finishes at 24:00 sunday.

as far as the case study goes you might get a question like billiy bob starts work at 5.30 he takes 30 min to do his checks then leaves the yard he hasn’t had a break and the time is now 10 how long can he carry on driving for before he legally has to take a break. The answer is 30 min because drivers checks count as other work not driving time.

hope this is helpful and has put your mind at ease a little
coop

cooper1203:
opps meant to say there is a weekly rest period of 42 hours I think (someone please check this)

45 hours :smiley:

ROG:

cooper1203:
opps meant to say there is a weekly rest period of 42 hours I think (someone please check this)

45 hours :smiley:

opps sorry for the bum info. Rog what are the rules for paying it back if you take a reduced weekly rest

If you collect a container in the UK it will be 6, 9 or 12metres

If you collect same container in Continental Europe it will be 20’ 30’ or 40’

Braking Distance maybe in Yards or Metres

cooper1203:
Rog what are the rules for paying it back if you take a reduced weekly rest

Paid back in full in one go by the end of the third week
May be attached to the end of either a weekly or daily rest

Example
Reduced weekly rest of 36 hours on saturday 1st leaving 9 to pay back = that is week 1
9 must be paid back in full by sunday midnight on the 23rd = end of week 3

Think I said that right…

thanks for that
coop

cooper1203:
load weight is easy to calculate its mam - kerb weight so you might get a question like paul is driving a truck with a max autherised mass of 40,000 his truck weighs 12,000 how many pallets can he legally carry if each pallet weighs 2,000.

driving hours:
driving break: 45 min after 4.5 hours driving to be taken as a single rest or split into 1 of at least 15 min and 1 of 30
daily driving hours: 9 hours but can be extended to 10 twice a week
daily rest: 11 hours but can be reduced to 9 three days a week
Daily rest can be reduced to 9 hours three times between weekly rest periods not three times a week.

duty hours is max of 15 per day
max duty per week is 56 hours however max fortnight duty hours is 90 so if you do 56 one week you can only do 34 the second.
Maximum driving time is 56 hours per week and 90 hours in two weeks.

Maximum working time per week is 60 hours but that comes under the WTD not the drivers tachograph regulations.

wtd hours is a break of at least 20 min every 6 hours. however in 99% of situations this is immaterial as drivers hours tend to over rule.
For the road transport working time regulations you should not work more than six hours without a break of 15 minutes.

there is special rules for ferries and trains if the journey is over a certain length you can take your daily rest during the crossing as long as there is a couchette / bunk available and this can be interrupted upto twice for no more than a total of an hour for boarding/disembarking etc.

if anyone spots a issue let me know and I will change it

cooper1203:
what are the rules for paying it back if you take a reduced weekly rest

Compensation for reduced weekly rest periods must be paid back en-bloc by the end of the third week following the week the reduced weekly rest period was taken for.
Compensation can be added to any rest period of 9 hours or more i.e. added onto daily or weekly rest periods.

cooper1203:
I seem to remember when I did mine they were both imperial and metric

I got my self in a real state about the case study as I couldn’t find any sensible study material. eventually I rang the dvsa and asked them what did they recommend and was told the dvsa haven’t released any official study material. The material I bought including that bloody stupid pamphlet (ok its a book technically) the drivers cpc was a complete waste of time it was asking me all sorts of silly questions like your driving from England to Russia what paperwork do you need. Well if I had a job where I was required to do that then the transport office would provide it. if I was a driver owner then I would do the advanced cpc. 90% of the questions asked were things that would be dealt with on further training. The odd question that was sensible was covered by the theory book (drivers hours and the like).

My advice is don’t fret I know its easier said than done but honestly if your confident with your theory you will be fine. if you want to just bone up on all the rules for drivers hours including double manning and ferry journeys and make sure you can calculate the load weight from the mam and kerbside weights

hope this puts your mind at ease
coop

It sounds like you got stuff covering the Operators CPC, what you consider an advanced CPC, but basically the qualifications you need to run any hire and reward haulage operation, it includes international work even though very few UK operators now run abroad.

With the help of Tachograph, I posted this on Drivers Hours and WTD regulations.
If you think it would help you I can email copies as PDF’s or Word Docs.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134561&hilit=tachograph

Geeeeezzzz.
Did another mock test today on the computer.
Do i really need to gem up on medical forms abroad?

Rich T:
Geeeeezzzz.

that’s what I said to you these computer simulators for the cpc case study is crap they ask you all sorts of silly stuff and there is no need for it. just read your theory book if it isn’t in there you don’t need it for your cpc

Rich T:
Geeeeezzzz.

I assume the course has to cover going abroad, for those that might do that, however if it like the Operators CPC, there might not be many if any questions on it.

I know you said you didn’t like classroom situations, but if the last time you were in a classroom was when you were at school and you hated it, I think you’ll find its very different in adult study.

The advantage is an instructor knows what the examiner is looking for, what subjects are likely to have more questions, so what you should concentrate more on and can guide you and give you tips in getting a few extra marks.

Im in the car trade so find myself in a classroom once in a while
I think most jobs out there these days, whatever you do you end up in a classroom st some point.

Got no instructor at the moment ( working on the missus at the moment so i can have a week away at Peter Smythes haha).
Heavy weekend of revising ahead. Got hazzard perception and theory next week and case study mid December.

Ive been doing the case study disc and tests on there.
But seems to be driving abroad or chemical etc carrying tankers etc.

Was getting 25 out of 50 a week ago now 39 out of 50. Pass mark is 40.

Pretty happy about theory and (touch wood) hazzard perception.

Rich