Update-transporter job

Well i just thought i give and update on my new job.
Now to start im a new pass (but have exp in car logistics) and im not in anyway used to 4/5 nights out a week.
Ive now done my 2 weeks training and been on the road for just over a week.
My training was done at company head office north of belfast 1s
t week practising loading n unloading with various load combos.
2nd week was on the road driver training for 4 days.all in all it was a steep learning curve but the trainers were both top notch great guys.the company takes it time to ensure your ready to go.
I was sent back over in my truck with a load to drop at my home base.then over to pick up a load of new volvos for ireland.
All in all im loving it and i wont lie its hard at first being away all week but its getting easier.im working with some great guys and to all wanna be new or recent passes dont despair the work is out there for good companies who take on new pass and train up.

Well done mate.I thought transporter jobs must be hard to get into.

Great stuff !Enjoy

Good news mate and nice that you are enjoying it. Hopefully in the longer term you will continue to do so.

Well done on getting your foot in the door.

One question I have, I was following a transporter the other day and we were approaching a smallish bridge 4.7m and from behind it looked like one of the cars on the top deck came perilously close (although in reality probably didn’t), but how do you measure the height of the load when cars are at different angles on the back and of different sizes?

Height stick, long pole basically

Seems a bit impractical, so you have to climb up to the highest point on the load and somehow thread the stick to the ground? :stuck_out_tongue:

What about using a laser distance meter? To calculate height is probably pricey though.

Well done mate, new pass straight on a transporter, talk about a baptism of fire :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

norm:
Seems a bit impractical, so you have to climb up to the highest point on the load and somehow thread the stick to the ground? [emoji14]

What about using a laser distance meter? To calculate height is probably pricey though.

Extends upwards from the ground with a angled piece at the top. Markings on the stick to give you the height.

Similar to a ladder in the way it extends. The best way I can think to describe it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Do you have a photo/link to this device.

Do you have to have the air suspension set at its highest when you measure it?

Juddian:
Well done mate, new pass straight on a transporter, talk about a baptism of fire :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

That reminds me of a chap I worked with at Inchcape Automotive. He was a traffic planner ( Never driven a truck before! ) and passed his class one on the Friday and started on the transporters on the Monday… I done 20+ years on general haulage before getting a break on the transporters… Jammy or what? :smiley: