Finally Took The Plunge

Hi all, glad I found this forum. I’m a new addition so I thought I’d post and say “Hi”

After 20 years of working in a call centre, I finally took the opportunity earlier this year to take my redundancy and work towards a career I have wanted to do for a number of years. Driving trucks.

The DWP have (amazingly) been really helpful with this and I am now working my way through a Warehouse & Storage course (inclusive of DGV Qualification and Land Based FLT Licence) at the end of this they will put me through my Class 2 Licence and I cannot wait.

I’m really looking forward to the experience and a new career to hopefully take me right through to retirement (eventually). I realise that before going for my C+E Licence I will need some experience working as a Class 2 Driver but, on average, how much experience would be advisable before considering going for my C+E Licence?

Look forward to speaking with you all and thanks for taking the time to read the post.

Cheers

There seems to be two schools of thought , some do a few months of class 2 then do class 1 others do class 2 training and test then as soon as their licence is back they then do class 1

It’s down to individual choice really I think , I did class 2 then 6 months of driving then did class 1 I also changed career from management to driving after 20+ years of sales and retail etc I have never looked back on the change of career

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Gaz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t need any experience before going for c+e, you can do it as soon as your licence comes back after your cat c. I went straight for my class 1 as i knew that’s what i wanted to do, i don’t think it was any more difficult than if i had done a couple of months work on rigids.

It just comes down to what you have your eyes on and how much you have saved up.

Enjoy the rest of your training and good luck for when it’s test time!

I did my Class 1 straight after. It made it easier for me as I was still in the habit of doing all the extra mirror checks and so on and hadn’t lapsed into a normal style again yet.

Since passing it I’ve been driving rigids for 3 months anyway so I’ve gotten the experience from them anyway and I’m now looking for class 1 work.

Anyway good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk