Soon to be Class 2 newbie - hopefully

Hi everyone, im sure by the thread title you have guessed im new to the forum.

A bit of background. I started saving money at the start of 2016 to do at least Class C as i knew the place i was working for were cost cutting, and unfortunately i happened sooner than everyone thought and i was one of the casualties. So my saving went in hold for a while until I got a new job and a wage to carry on. Around the end of May i started the process with a recommended company (quite luckily only about a mile away from where I live). So far ive done mock tests and hazard perception almost daily ready for the tests at the start of August and the practical provisionally booked in September which should be enough time for the CPC in between.

I contacted a few companies to see if they would give me a days work experience and out of about 10 i emailed, only 1 got back to me. However ive not heard anything since.

My plan is to get C+E or at least work towards it after ive done the Class C.

I have sort of experience in multidrop as it was part of my old job but it was in a van with no timings but im not under any illusions that Class C and C+E would be easy

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

In addition, if anyone would be willing to give me a day with a driver it would be appreciated. I can make my way to a depot and provide my own safety boots and hi-vis jacket. I live in the S44 postcode so if its something you could do please message me. I know it would be unpaid and there would be stuff i couldnt get involved with. Its mainly for the experience and advice on what i could expect day to day.

Many thanks

S44 postcode = not far from Peter Smythe (the forum sponsor) training centre :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

See the link in my signature for loads of info

Emailing firms for work trials is not the best option, it is better to drive around there in your car and bang on their doors to speak to the traffic or transport manager at a time when they are not too busy .
If you go to the Dvsa website in the applications and decisions pages, it lists all the local hauliers in your area, the addresses are there , then Google phone numbers to make an appointment to see them .

Multi drop in rigids or artics is a Marmite job, some love it , some hate it .Timed deliveries will be like this ~Pre 9 am, pre midday, or penalty from the pallet depot to the employer .
Customers can be a right pain, you have to remain calm and polite, as they will soon email your firm to twist the facts and what you said, to get money knocked off their delivery.

Heavy and awkward pallets, can cause back and muscle damage if not handled in the right way, you may have 4 to 5 pallets of turf, compost, pet food, paving slabs, bricks, food, drinks, wheat for flour mills,machines, or horse pellets, that can weigh a ton or more .
If the delivery location is on a slope, adjust the air suspension on the rigid, so you are using gravity to free wheel out the load, with the pump truck, for an artic, i drop all the air in the trailer suspension, then raise up the air on the tractor unit, this makes life easier .

Rural lanes can damage the lorry mirrors by hitting low hanging branches and trees, cars on a rat run daily commute , will not slow down for lorries and expect you to dive bomb in the ditch and get stuck, with half the load tipped over .

An old car or truck tire can be used to secure the pump truck on the floor of the truck, but DVSA insist it is secured by straps.
You may have to load your own truck , and locate the pallets, scan them, then good to go, check delivery instructions before leaving, and make the calls to give them an eta, but allow extra time on top .
On delivery, scan off the goods, client signs on hand held Gizmo .
Farmers may say the keys are in the tractor ignition, to unload yourself.
They tend to disappear with a hand ball drop, or will have a bad back or gone to market .