Three Years as a new driver. What to expect

So I have been driving class 2 for three years and thought I would put a post up about my experience as this forum was a big help to me and provided me with a wealth of knowledge, Its mainly about what new drivers should expect compared to how they think it will work out.

The first big thing is try not to expect mega bucks because without earning your stripes you don’t get it.

I have had to graft my ■■■ off to get to where I am in my current company, don’t get me wrong I have loved every minute of it but its been a slog.

I started out doing Random same day deliveries all over the country with my current company, in a 61 plate 7.5 tonner with just shy of 500,000 on the clock in all kinds of weather and at all different times of the day in wind, rain, sleet and snow.
There can be a lot of handballing with this kind of work but there is equal amounts of A to B work straight load and unload. When I say handballing too I don’t mean just shuffling cages or pallets around I mean picking up hundreds of boxes of aircargo from a airport and having to load them all by hand then unload them at the other end, don’t get me wrong some customers will help you but some just simply aren’t bothered.

The way I seen it when I was starting out, was I either took the job that required physical graft and got paid a OKish wage or I did easy work with low pay. Doing this work based on a 40-50 hour week I Usually took home around £350 after tax per week.

Also when I was looking for my first job trucking I went to a few job interviews. Some I wasn’t keen on the job and some I was, so in the end I picked the job that suited me best, my advice would be always go to the interview even if you are unsure of the job as it is good practice. I also stayed clear of agencies,I found they would advertise a good job, get you in, take your details and then offer you something totally different and utterly [zb].

Also a lot of drivers here will tell you to go Knocking on doors ready to do a test drive day with a company if they like you. This is probably the best advice you will get. When I was looking for my first Job the amount of small firms that said they admired how forward I was in doing this and how much it would go in my favour. Even if they didn’t have a position to fill they said they would call when they did, and in all fairness to them they did some even up to 6 months later, because when you do this you stick in the employers mind.

As the company has grown (Small family company) they have taken me with them, as they have won contracts they have upped my pay without being asked, and now as I am in to my third year I am head driver of the company, I spend the first part of my day doing deliveries in my top spec 18 plate 18 tonner. The second part of my day is then spent assisting the fleet manager with the vehicles and helping the drivers with anything that they may need. I now take home around 480 a week after tax. I do less hours, have weekends off and don’t often finish past 5pm.

What I am trying to get across is that if you want the good job with good pay then you need to get off your ■■■ and earn it, nobody will give you something for nothing and why should they.

You will take years to earn in excess of £30,000 a year like some of the older guys on here and in all fairness they have more than earned their stripes and have a fountain of knowledge in the trade, but if you enjoy the job and stick with it you will benefit from the perks in the long run.

If anyone has any questions or needs any advice send me a message.

Cheers.

Jonny.

Oh and PS if you are ever unsure on the roads/loading/unloading just ask another trucker, we have all been brand spanking new at some point and have all needed help. We are all here to help each other.

Stay safe Gents.

Taking years to earn 30k isnt true, not for the south east anyways.

I passed out on class 2 about 4 months ago and walked straight into a 29k a year job with no experience. Heard from more than one company that theres a major class 2 shortage for good reliable drivers at the moment.

Its hard to find anything near 29,000 in the northwest. Brakes used to come close with 28,000 even they have lowered it to 26,500 in the last few job posts. Maybe with the cost of living being slightly more in the South East it could contribute to higher wages.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Jonnylascouser:
Its hard to find anything near 29,000 in the northwest. Brakes used to come close with 28,000 even they have lowered it to 26,500 in the last few job posts. Maybe with the cost of living being slightly more in the South East it could contribute to higher wages.

Brakes took over Fresh direct at Ashton in makerfield. the adverts paying 26500 are likely reffering to that site, which was the wage when it was Fresh direct, i believe the actual Brakes site at Warrington is paying 31k

Agree with don’t be afraid to ask, I’ve been driving casual for a while now it suits my situation and found most drivers helpful even ones working for ‘competing’ brands as well as the ones in my Depot. Everyday is a school day as they say.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Hi Jonny

Thanks for posting this! I’m a new class 2 pass and start my first job on Monday with a local company. I’m a bit nervous though - I passed in a 14 t and will be driving a 27 t! I’ll be with the driver trainer for the first week though so I’m sure I’ll pick it up quickly.

This gives me hope that I can achieve something similar :slight_smile:

Hayley

Hayley293:
Hi Jonny

Thanks for posting this! I’m a new class 2 pass and start my first job on Monday with a local company. I’m a bit nervous though - I passed in a 14 t and will be driving a 27 t! I’ll be with the driver trainer for the first week though so I’m sure I’ll pick it up quickly.

This gives me hope that I can achieve something similar :slight_smile:

Hayley

You will be fine Hayley. The angles may be a bit tighter with the extra length but you will pick it up in no time. Just take everything a bit slower to start with and I am sure you will smash it.

Jonnylascouser:
Just take everything a bit slower to start with and I am sure you will smash it.

ERR - which way was that meant :question: :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe the wrong choice of phrase in this instance. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji598][emoji597][emoji598][emoji597]