New driver advice from myself

I passed my class 1 and 2 all within a few months of one another back in 2015 - 2016. Paid a lot of money to do this.
I was fed up with my old job as a supervisor in a factory. Same bull ■■■■ day in and day out. So I fancied a change of career.

Now as a new pass driver we all know how hard it is to get your foot in the door. Especially matching anywhere near what I was on as a supervisor.

I would have to start at the bottom and take a huge pay cut. Then the majority of work offered is via agencies. They ALL lie just to get you on their books. Then offer you MAYBE 1 day here and 1 day there. That was no good to me back then. Bills to pay. Then there’s the old one where they keep telling you. Oh they need people with experience and have had their licence either 1 or 2 years. Demoralizing, I know.
So I put off the search for a new career. For the time being anyway.

Anyway, last year in October, I decided the factory job was enough. I threw a months sick note in, and after 2 weeks I drove to around 10 agencies. No points on my licence. Class 1. Had it for over 2 years. But no experience yet.
Straight away, I was offered work, multi drop carpets starting on class 2 to get some driving hours behind me. Paid the same rate as class 1. £12.75 An hour. I did this until Xmas shutdown. Then after Xmas this work dried up.

So after Xmas I drove to another few agencies and told them I only want class 1 work. Within a couple of days the phone calls started. I am now getting agency work every day, and weekends. So now I have experience in class 1. I still spent a lot of time applying for jobs, through CV library, and was offered an assessment and interview with Wincanton, Heinz factory in Wigan. 5 hours long. I got offered the job and start the 5th February as class 1 driver.

My point here is, you have to do a lot of leg work, driving around, and online applications. Believe me at first makes you feel a bit demoralised but just keep applying.

Now in the last few weeks, believe me it is daunting showing up at new places and being given a set of keys and some paperwork and being told this is what you’re doing today. I don’t think some people realise that you are a new driver. I never like to show that this is all relatively new to me. At first you do worry are you going to get it right and not ■■■■ things up.

My advice is definitely speak to other drivers. Most are very helpful and friendly and have great advice. I’ve met some top blokes on my limited travels. My reversing isn’t the best in tight spaces but is definitely improving. This is the one thing on my mind constantly when on my way to drop off a load.

So for all you newbies, get a cv on cv library because apparently a lot of calls I get, do actually say they found my cv on this site. Make sure you get to a few agencies, I spent a week driving to a lot in my surrounding areas. Accept class 2 for the driving hours. Don’t give up.

Good luck guys. There is work, but like I said, I started at the bottom and now the only way is up.

Jetset I have tried unsuccessfully to reply to your email. I don’t know what is going on, but if you want to send me your phone number I will gladly send you the details via text message. If this is allowed. Good luck buddy.

playmate222:
Jetset I have tried unsuccessfully to reply to your email. I don’t know what is going on, but if you want to send me your phone number I will gladly send you the details via text message. If this is allowed. Good luck buddy.

Yes, that’s allowed, but I’d advise that you use the Private Message (PM) system at the top left of your screen.

:bulb: For various reasons, not everybody reads/responds to emails. :wink:

Thanks dieseldave I think I,'ve done it now.

playmate222:

Hi mate, thanks very much for the help and advise, its very much appreciated.

I thought I had sent a PM to you :unamused: :unamused: But sent email by mistake :laughing:

Thanks again, good luck with the job!

I start my training Tuesday next week with the test being on Friday morning. I can’t wait to start driving and actually leave my job, i’ve started applying to places already claiming i have a full class 2, Digi card and CPC and all that just to see what the response is. I’m expecting to get shot down just down to experience but i thought why not?.

I was wondering how to get my foot in the door and was going to make a post about it but then read the above, thanks for the insight. If all else fails my girlfriends mum is a warehouse manager that hires drivers all the time and she can get me a job straight away starting on 26k but i don’t really want to be working with the mother in law :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DannyM271091:
I start my training Tuesday next week with the test being on Friday morning. I can’t wait to start driving and actually leave my job, i’ve started applying to places already claiming i have a full class 2, Digi card and CPC and all that just to see what the response is. I’m expecting to get shot down just down to experience but i thought why not?.

I was wondering how to get my foot in the door and was going to make a post about it but then read the above, thanks for the insight. If all else fails my girlfriends mum is a warehouse manager that hires drivers all the time and she can get me a job straight away starting on 26k but i don’t really want to be working with the mother in law :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You would not be actually working with the mother in law. Just ■■■■ it up, say hi and goodbye then get on with your job where you will be on your own. 26k is a good start pal.
Good luck pal

playmate222:
You would not be actually working with the mother in law. Just ■■■■ it up, say hi and goodbye then get on with your job where you will be on your own. 26k is a good start pal.
Good luck pal

Yeah not directly everyday but she would be giving me my routes and deliveries etc, and if i ■■■■ up or get in any trouble, it would be her griefing me etc, bit too close to home for me.

DannyM271091:

playmate222:
Good luck pal

Yeah not directly everyday but she would be giving me my routes and deliveries etc, and if i [zb] up or get in any trouble, it would be her griefing me etc, bit too close to home for me.

I had the ex mother in law working for me in my last job. Oh what fun I had

playmate222:
My point here is, you have to do a lot of leg work, driving around, and online applications. Believe me at first makes you feel a bit demoralised but just keep applying.

Now in the last few weeks, believe me it is daunting showing up at new places and being given a set of keys and some paperwork and being told this is what you’re doing today.

My advice is definitely speak to other drivers. Most are very helpful and friendly and have great advice. I’ve met some top blokes on my limited travels. .

Good post! I always say, as you are driving around, if you are early call in the smaller transport companies ready to work, later in the day, call in with CV in hand. I would much rather a driver appeared on my doorstep than have to advertise and wade through CVs, half of which appear to be applying because the man at the dole office said they have to. When someone says no, maybe they irrationally don’t like you or it’s simply what they say, they have everyone they need at that time.

If you can get on with a company direct, then here we don’t let you out on your own for a few days. Abroad, it’ll be weeks before we let you loose on those unsuspecting French people on your own :wink:

And don’t just speak to other drivers about routes, low bridges, how to strap something, ask what there place is like and if it sounds good and the do the type of work you want, ask them if there are any vacancies. All my drivers come via recommendation.

Some great advice on this thread.

Attitude goes a long way in this job and that ranges from how you speak to people to your approach to the job and even dealing with deliveries.

Think about it… If someone is ratty with you from the word go what’s your response? Exactly… you snap back.

Also never get stressed about things you can’t affect.

toonsy:
Attitude goes a long way in this job and that ranges from how you speak to people to your approach to the job and even dealing with deliveries.

Think about it… If someone is ratty with you from the word go what’s your response? Exactly… you snap back.

Also never get stressed about things you can’t affect.

As I’ve said before, my TM called into the yard of a mate of his, spotted a young lad doing some yard work, hoping to get his break on Class 1. Good attitude and a willingness to work, so we took him on. You never know who you are meeting, so be nice to them all!