Class 2 Tramping

Hello all
I have managed to get a job today with Longs of Leeds who take on new passes as a class 2 tramper driver.

They say I will do day work until they feel I am fit to do tramping work all on my own.

The company is about 80 plus miles from where I live but as its tramping that’s not so much of a problem.

The work does involve multidrop around London which sounds stressful.

Anyone here work or worked for Longs of Leeds ?

Personally I see it as much needed break to get experience.

I am going to enjoy the calm before the storm now
regards

London isn’t As bad as it sounds - just a load of little towns stick together

Try not to get stabbed though

jonnyboat:

That’s good to know, as for getting stabbed they want the truck always parked in secure places, trucks stops and msa’s I am guessing.

Tseal:

jonnyboat:

That’s good to know, as for getting stabbed they want the truck always parked in secure places, trucks stops and msa’s I am guessing.

Unfortunately nowhere is that secure.Even on the services.Or truckstops.But you’ll struggle to park anywhere in London anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Don’t work for Longs, but as for London…

I’d rather drive in and around London than Birmingham, but that’s just personal preference.

Take your time, keep checking mirrors and breathe.

Just watch for cyclists, and scooteroos hopping down your near side at any traffic lights, specially during rush hours, 05:00 to 21:00. It helps if your truck has a blind spot camera covering that.
Brace yourself for road closures and road works. So basically, plan your route through London well before setting off, get a truck satnav (cheaply) just in case you are not familiar with the big smoke and the road you were planning on using is now ruled by the high-viz gang. Go slower but not too slow, watch your mirrors (all 6) like a hawk, indicate well well in advance and a kind soul will always give you space. You will get to know that once you manage busy London you will be fine anywhere.

Thanks for the advice everyone its just what I need. I was kind of expecting everyone to say its a nightmare driving a LGV in London.

What I am hearing is that its not that bad and like any other city.

I have ordered a large print A-Z of London and I have two sat navs a TruckNav which was cheap but is excellent.

Also I have Tom Tom 6200 go proffessional which does live traffic updates but if I am honest I am a bit disappointed with it, maybe I am using it wrong or something but it has taken me down not very good roads in a car when I have set it up as a 44 ton artic on the satnav.

Maybe I haven’t set it up right or something.

Any advice on navigation would be great as I think I am really going to need it Lol.

I hate London with a passion! It’s ■■■■ tight roads and suicidal road users.

But like any cloud, it has a silver lining… it’s ■■■■ easy to navigate round. I always run my sat nav with the phone running google maps next to it (sometimes with an az in my lap) with the possible exception of Milton Keynes, it’s the place I find easiest to navigate, the signage is second to none. It’s just a shame that London causes me claustrophobia!

Fortunately I don’t go there often

johnteller:
But like any cloud, it has a silver lining… it’s ■■■■ easy to navigate round.

At least that is one less thing for me to got wound up about.

I have the Tom Tom 6200 professional and I think it’s really good actually. I got it for £150 when Very were doing an offer which was posted on here. I don’t use the live traffic and I don’t 100% rely on it but for general guidance it’s pretty good.

I don’t know much about Longs of Leeds except that the money is ■■■■, like you I was offered a start with them but couldn’t afford to live on what they were paying. If you can of course, go for it as from what I hear they aren’t that bad to work for so a good place to learn the ropes.

Jimmy McNulty:
I have the Tom Tom 6200 professional and I think it’s really good actually. I got it for £150 when Very were doing an offer which was posted on here.

I think you’ll find it was a mistake, not a special offer!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Jimmy McNulty:
I have the Tom Tom 6200 professional and I think it’s really good actually. I got it for £150 when Very were doing an offer which was posted on here.

It was special to me!

Jimmy McNulty:

Roymondo:

Jimmy McNulty:

It was special to me!

It must have been - the mistake/offer was on the price of a TomTom 6000 Professional, not a 6200 :wink:

Jimmy McNulty:
I have the Tom Tom 6200 professional and I think it’s really good actually. I got it for £150 when Very were doing an offer which was posted on here. I don’t use the live traffic and I don’t 100% rely on it but for general guidance it’s pretty good.

I don’t know much about Longs of Leeds except that the money is [zb], like you I was offered a start with them but couldn’t afford to live on what they were paying. If you can of course, go for it as from what I hear they aren’t that bad to work for so a good place to learn the ropes.

There class 2 rigids have reverse cameras on all of them, on my assessment drive I found this incredibly useful I am amazed its not a legal requirement.

The pay per hour is low but its bumped up by night out money.