Class 2 Advice

Hey Guys,

I’ve been trying class 2 for a few weeks so far via Agency. I wouldn’t say I’m struggling but I think obviously it takes more and more practice until your confidence gets better driving.

I’m in a predicament that I’m hoping you guys can help with.

I’ve been doing multidrop so far with early starts and afternoon finishes, but no nights out or anything like that, but it’s quite stressful when delivering to busy high streets or tight drops…

So the agency have offered me tramping, or to continue doing multidrop.

At my current experience level, what would you say is the best to do? Obviously with Tramping I’d be out on my own for 5 days/nights, but obviously there is a lot more distance driving involved which I guess means less rushing around, less heavy lifting cages into drops, and less town centres?

But then again, With tramping, If I need help, or have a problem due to lack of experience, I have no one to ask, for the week? Or what if I have a drop in London City Centre? What would you find the easiest, with lack of and to gain experience.

Thanks!

The idea of tramping does peak my interest though!

Stick with what you’re doing. I felt exactly the same way and felt physically sick before work because of the fear of city centres etc.

However, 4 months on and nothing phased me. I’m now confident that thanks to the steep learning curve in the early days I can handle most situations.

If you drop the multi drop now without addressing these issues you have it will follow you around for your whole career.

I think I agree with Jonnyboat, as only you will know when you’re ready!

As already said, these thoughts of alien city centres terrorise you now, but in time (more experience) the thought of it will no longer phase you. What you should probably thinking about now as a limper (agency) is what job is going to keep me in work post Xmas when things go a bit quiet.

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

What if…?

You get a farm in the middle of nowhere?

You don’t know where to park up for the night?

You can’t handle sleeping in the truck at night?

Your night heater breaks?

Your milk goes sour?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that ANY type of driving jobs will have its draw backs and things that you could potentially struggle with. Just because you go tramping doesn’t make them suddenly disappear.

There’s nothing wrong with fearing the unknown, it’s natural. But the only way you’ll get over it, is to keep at it, and keep careful.

When I started multi-dropping round our fair capital, I would ■■■■ my pants, and spent hours looking up routes on google street view. But it doesn’t take long before it all starts clicking into place. Now I really don’t care, in fact I prefer the hard stuff that other people complain about, keeps my edge up and I enjoy the challenge.

Good luck, keep up the good work.

Give tramping a try , if you don’t like it go back to day work
If you’ve got young kids don’t do tramping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I was going for the softy softy approach F-reds? :open_mouth:

But you do have a point… :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

That’s a first for you beazle [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

Evil8Beezle:

That’s a first for you beazle [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I think it’s my time of the month! :open_mouth:

Same as what the others have said stick at it and the way jobs are a plenty at the minute you will have the experience to get a better job or carry on what your doing… I’d take the first few replys to your posts and make a decision based on that because soon after you will get the usual members picking apart your posts and asking humorous irrelevant questions…

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention. A job done right first time is much quicker, than one put right later. So take all the time you need to get your runs done right, first time, and with no damage to personnel/property/pride.

I promise you it WILL get easier and less stressful. Some of us even enjoy it :sunglasses:

Was that “softly, softly” enough for you Beeze??

In my limited experience, stick multidrop and relish the experience, anyone can point a truck in the right direction on a motorway and class2 multidrop is great for keeping the waistline in check :laughing: if you need to gain a few inches of girth class 1 beckons :slight_smile:

F-reds:
Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention. A job done right first time is much quicker, than one put right later. So take all the time you need to get your runs done right, first time, and with no damage to personnel/property/pride.

I promise you it WILL get easier and less stressful. Some of us even enjoy it :sunglasses:

Was that “softly, softly” enough for you Beeze??

Yes, wrap it in Andrex and sugar coat it please! :smiley:

So if you enjoy it mate, why are you now driving a desk? :laughing:

Ts&Cs Beeze Ts&Cs…

Plus I still get one month a year on the road. Oh and I don’t start till December :wink:

F-reds:
Ts&Cs Beeze Ts&Cs…

Plus I still get one month a year on the road. Oh and I don’t start till December :wink:

Whatever suits you mate, I drove a desk for years and glad to be free if it…
I’m too old and bitter to be responsible for others these days, I’d a liability and say the wrong things! :blush:
You’ll get there! :wink:

I’d stick at the multi drop bud! As many others have said it can be a steep learning curve but it’s a good one and doesn’t take to long to come together! As long as you get the job done without damage or injury to anyone or anything then you should be proud, don’t worry about how fast others do it as you’ll get faster with time and experience. At my place we have guys of all speeds, experience levels and ages but the boss only asks that we get the job done safely and within the law! Carry on and enjoy the experience it’s better then an office job any day! :smiley:

Thank you for all of your replies.

Although short-lived I took advice on board and have kept doing multidrop. The experience is obviously only gained by doing…

But anyhoo, Agency offered me tramping next week and since it does interest me I thought I’ll give it a go, haven’t heard much about the people i’ll be working for, only… to “rely on…r” :open_mouth:

I don’t have a hgv sat nav hopefully that isn’t going to make this week incredibly hard, i’ll just keep my wits about me? I did think that they would provide but agency tonight said to take one, not thinking tomorrow is a sunday and no where has them in stock :blush: Oh well, let the adventure commence, any tips? :grimacing:

I believe there are a few forum members who may be able to supply you with a sat-nav for a very reasonable figure :wink:

Buy a truck specific truck map…Ie philips navigator…Or the aa one…Then if you have google maps or whatever you can use that to get to the delivery point…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Lock your cab door at night as dipper is around
also make sure night heater works

Personally tramping isn’t for me but as you’ve got the chance and it’s early doors, give it a go and see if you like it. Don’t shy away from something because you’re worried about cocking up though. We all start some where and it’s how you learn to deal with these situations that makes you a professional driver.
Whatever you do, it gets easier , you will learn how to get around and cope with it all it just takes time. I regularly drive artics into London, I used to find it terrifying but after a year or so you learn where not to go etc. It’s easy really just common sense.
Sometimes you have to stop traffic etc then so be it, it’s normal. Just stay calm and do the job as best you can.
Good luck.