Class 2 Advice

eagerbeaver:
I believe there are a few forum members who may be able to supply you with a sat-nav for a very reasonable figure :wink:

Can someone help me with this, I have looked everywhere and can not find one! Anyone able to sell me something reasonable today, tyne and wear :open_mouth:

Cazzum1337:

eagerbeaver:
I believe there are a few forum members who may be able to supply you with a sat-nav for a very reasonable figure :wink:

Can someone help me with this, I have looked everywhere and can not find one! Anyone able to sell me something reasonable today, tyne and wear :open_mouth:

The Beaver was referring to a thread on the main forum where a retailer cocked up the price and some members on here brought a load.
However I doubt they have plans to sell them on mate, or at least not cheap… :cry:

As for Sat-Nav’s there is plenty of choice, and you generally get what you pay for…
Most of them are discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128456

Co pilot truck on app store is brilliant for me. Used it at Palmer and Harveys and now using it where I am now however I don’t need it here just use it for live traffic.

Anyway as it’s Thursday now I hope so far it’s gone well for you.

Just an update to this thread.

I had my week tramping Class 2 and thoroughly enjoyed it. By far the best work I’ve ever done, I feel that a lot less stress was involved because although I was driving a lot of places I’ve never been, I feel as though I had a lot more time.

For example, when doing local multidrop with cages etc, you have to be quite quick about it when you have say 15+ drops a day, parking up in some tight little highstreet, full of parked cars, cages heavier than they should be having to be dragged all over the place, then back in the cab, all sweaty and out of breath, then onto your next drop.

With tramping, I felt like 99% of the focus was on driving, following road signs, looking out for low bridges, manouvering around other lorries at drops i.e. a busy warehouse with every dock full. So I feel like my driving experience jumped massively in that week, as it’s all I done all day every day, and it was great!

The first day I did some Newcastle local stuff around the Quayside which was horrendous as there is nowhere to park and I ended up reversing the wrong way down a one way street and blocking that off as the only option, but managed it alright. Later on in the afternoon after tipping around a few locals, and being loaded back up at the depot I was given my first long distance run.
Newcastle > Peterborough, It was a great drive down, I was on the motorway a lot so I got to experience that a lot more than I have whilst doing locals, radio on, nice and comfortable, roads quieting down, it was great! I ended up staying in a layby right on the a1 that night as I was a bit anxious about going into a truckstop and didn’t really know where to go, terrible night sleep due to other passing trucks all night, which I never thought about beforehand, but now atleast I know to try and steer clear of that! :grimacing:

On my later days, I stayed in an industrial estate right out side of a DPD warehouse, that was well lit so it was safe and very quiet, lovely and peaceful! Although in the morning I woke up surrounded by a swarm of DPD Vans that must have been there to get loaded up, but no one seemed to mind. Other than that I stayed at a small truck depot that i was advised to stay at by the company as it was on my route that day, had showers etc but no food! On my last night I stayed at leaming bar services which is alright for a price and for the meal voucher included you can’t go wrong.

Other places I went on my travels were, Sheffield, Hartlepoole, Luton, Manchester

I can imagine that tramping really is more of a Class 1 thing, as there really isn’t much room in a Class 2 for a whole week and it starts to get a bit cramped! I mean you have your sleeper behind your seats, my hold-all full of my clothes/gas cooker on the passenger seat, and a little drawer under the sleeper. Apart from that there’s a few glove box sized cupboards but you can’t really fit anything in them!

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, although haven’t got anymore chances via agency since so I’m back on local multidrop for now, seems that there isn’t much opportunity to tramp Class 2.

Class 1 in the future is in my sights i think!

So you don’t like the cab rocking you to sleep with trucks passing at speed a few feet from you? :smiley:
Glad you liked it mate, and yes Class 1 is where the tramping work is, along with your self respect! :wink:

Cazzum1337:
Just an update to this thread.

I had my week tramping Class 2 and thoroughly enjoyed it. By far the best work I’ve ever done, I feel that a lot less stress was involved because although I was driving a lot of places I’ve never been, I feel as though I had a lot more time.

For example, when doing local multidrop with cages etc, you have to be quite quick about it when you have say 15+ drops a day, parking up in some tight little highstreet, full of parked cars, cages heavier than they should be having to be dragged all over the place, then back in the cab, all sweaty and out of breath, then onto your next drop.

With tramping, I felt like 99% of the focus was on driving, following road signs, looking out for low bridges, manouvering around other lorries at drops i.e. a busy warehouse with every dock full. So I feel like my driving experience jumped massively in that week, as it’s all I done all day every day, and it was great!

The first day I did some Newcastle local stuff around the Quayside which was horrendous as there is nowhere to park and I ended up reversing the wrong way down a one way street and blocking that off as the only option, but managed it alright. Later on in the afternoon after tipping around a few locals, and being loaded back up at the depot I was given my first long distance run.
Newcastle > Peterborough, It was a great drive down, I was on the motorway a lot so I got to experience that a lot more than I have whilst doing locals, radio on, nice and comfortable, roads quieting down, it was great! I ended up staying in a layby right on the a1 that night as I was a bit anxious about going into a truckstop and didn’t really know where to go, terrible night sleep due to other passing trucks all night, which I never thought about beforehand, but now atleast I know to try and steer clear of that! :grimacing:

On my later days, I stayed in an industrial estate right out side of a DPD warehouse, that was well lit so it was safe and very quiet, lovely and peaceful! Although in the morning I woke up surrounded by a swarm of DPD Vans that must have been there to get loaded up, but no one seemed to mind. Other than that I stayed at a small truck depot that i was advised to stay at by the company as it was on my route that day, had showers etc but no food! On my last night I stayed at leaming bar services which is alright for a price and for the meal voucher included you can’t go wrong.

Other places I went on my travels were, Sheffield, Hartlepoole, Luton, Manchester

I can imagine that tramping really is more of a Class 1 thing, as there really isn’t much room in a Class 2 for a whole week and it starts to get a bit cramped! I mean you have your sleeper behind your seats, my hold-all full of my clothes/gas cooker on the passenger seat, and a little drawer under the sleeper. Apart from that there’s a few glove box sized cupboards but you can’t really fit anything in them!

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, although haven’t got anymore chances via agency since so I’m back on local multidrop for now, seems that there isn’t much opportunity to tramp Class 2.

Class 1 in the future is in my sights i think!

Well if you ever head down to peterborough again…Couple of truckstops on the A1…Colsterworth is a good one…The fox…Is’nt really a truckstop as such…More a pub type place…With parking for hgvs…Newark lorry park also…On the cattle market and further down.Stibbington diner…Quite a few spaces on there too…If you do use laybys…Always pick one with a reservation or set back from the road…As you will sleep better…Without the rocking…And worryng if someone will runnin to the back of you…There are a few laybys set back on the A1…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Industrial estates are the way forward. There are a few that won’t let HGV’s park overnight because some idiot truck drivers destroy grass verges and litter the place, but most have no restrictions.

I’m guessing your truck was a single bunk midget cab :wink: As my MAN 18TGM has a high cab with a bunk and top hammock type bunk where all my stuff goes and I don’t go home during the week most weeks , I don’t feel cramped in there and I’m 5ft 10 and 18st :open_mouth: :blush:

blue estate:
I’m 5ft 10 and 18st :open_mouth: :blush:

Have they uprated your front axle? :open_mouth:
And is your air pressure nice and high? :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

blue estate:
I’m 5ft 10 and 18st :open_mouth: :blush:

Have they uprated your front axle? :open_mouth:
And is your air pressure nice and high? :smiley:

Yes they told me they uprated it for your EGO but you never came :grimacing:

blue estate:

Evil8Beezle: