Wages in decline?

A newbie driver looking to undertake c+e training in next few months, I noticed an advert for XPO Logistics saying rated one of best employers.

I went onto their website and a couple of miles from me is one of their depots sounded ideal. They have a vacancy :

Our depot in Staveley is currently recruiting a Bulk Powder Class 1 Driver who will be working Monday to Friday. Your basic hours are 40 and the rate is £8.64 per hour. Overtime is paid at £12.96 between Monday and Saturday and £17.28 on a Sunday. Nights out are paid at £25. You’ll have access to a variety of high street discounts, as well as cycle to work scheme, a workplace pension and many other perks.

£8.64■■? My local supermarket pays more for a cleaner!!!

Is spending nearly £3000 on training from car to lorry worthwhile ■■

No doubt hours will be about 60 so wage boosted with time and half.

I do shifts for xpo through agency & the full time guys are on a lot more than that. Agency can earn double that for class 1.
Decent firm to work with by all accounts.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

enzo:

So why don’t you simply go for the cleaning job?

Is spending nearly £3000 on training from car to lorry worthwhile ■■

No doubt hours will be about 60 so wage boosted with time and half.

£8.64 is disgraceful and anyone should stay well clear. Then the rate will have to increase to attract anyone to the job.

Spending £3k on gaining licences for £8.64 per hour is clearly not a good plan. Fortunately, this is the exception and not the rule.

I hate the idea that anyone should have to live at work to earn a decent wage. Of course the job can easily run to 60 hours but that should be earning you much more than a decent wage. Ridiculous to have to rely on overtime just for a decent wage.

Any good employer will be paying as much as they can possibly afford. But I’m not stupid and I know there’s plenty that try and take advantage. So it’s up to the driver to work out if the offer is fair or not.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The only plus i can see to that rate is they will probably have to take anyone and it’s a good way to get trained on powder tanks. Get the training and get gone.

Otherwise I am sure there must be better round there