British gypsum/ xpo sherburn in elmet

Iv applied for a position as a day driver here but just wondered if anyone had any inside info…
It says 1-2 drops a day and £650-700 a week and to be honest that sounds good for this area,
I applied when xpo first took it over but turned down the interview as I decided to stay where I was but think I’m ready to go now due to certain things.
Any advice on then let me know
Cheers

I used to work at CCF in Leeds and we’d have CEVA trucks with British gypsum trailers coming in first thing. The contract has obviously changed to xpo but it sounds like the same job. warehouse strap the load and you deliver straight to builders yard. I do see a few parked up in Whitwood on a night but I think they have trampers too.

I few drivers have left ours (sainsburys) for there, they seem happy as well. The reason pay is good for the area is the nearest driver base is Leeds (14 miles away) and Wakefield, even further. As a result they offer attractive rates to entice drivers to travel.
Our place is £14.72ph and £21.45 for overtime. Night rate is £1.30ph between 6pm/6am. Just our rotas put drivers off, the work is easier than BG by far

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I did it for years…

On nights for WH Malcolms and the full time day men were well looked after. Good money, good kit, steady job and steady work load. The place is H&S mad, if you ■■■■ at the wrong time without making a ‘■■■■ plan’ or filing the aforementioned ‘■■■■ plan’ with the ‘■■■■ plan’ department, you’ll be hearing from someone with a brighter hi-viz than you.

As already mentioned, it’s a better rate cos it’s in the middle of nowhere.

If I was looking for day work in that area, I’d be looking there first.

stuwozere1:
I few drivers have left ours (sainsburys) for there, they seem happy as well. The reason pay is good for the area is the nearest driver base is Leeds (14 miles away) and Wakefield, even further. As a result they offer attractive rates to entice drivers to travel.
Our place is £14.72ph and £21.45 for overtime. Night rate is £1.30ph between 6pm/6am. Just our rotas put drivers off, the work is easier than BG by far

I applied to Sainsbury’s last year and was offered an interview but the shift pattern was horrendous,you any idea what time then lads on BG start and finish,
I’m looking for stability,sick of been home at 4pm one day 8pm next day etc had 20 years of not been able to plan anything on an evening

yorkshire terrier:
I’m looking for stability,sick of been home at 4pm one day 8pm next day etc had 20 years of not been able to plan anything on an evening

I don’t plan…

The loads but, when I did it (20 years ago) the day men were kicking tyres around 6 every morning.

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

I applied to Sainsbury’s last year and was offered an interview but the shift pattern was horrendous,you any idea what time then lads on BG start and finish,

Sorry mate, haven’t a clue. The shift plan I’m on at the moment is ok, can be a bit hit and miss as there’s over 50 rotas to choose from. Unfortunately supermarkets now are a 24h/7 day operation and they need driver cover at all times. One sweetener coming soon is 4 on 4 off, possibly around April. My take home is approx £3,400 every 4 weeks

stuwozere1:

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

Sorry mate, haven’t a clue. The shift plan I’m on at the moment is ok, can be a bit hit and miss as there’s over 50 rotas to choose from. Unfortunately supermarkets now are a 24h/7 day operation and they need driver cover at all times. One sweetener coming soon is 4 on 4 off, possibly around April. My take home is approx £3,400 every 4 weeks

If they ever advertise for 4 on 4 off I’d love that shift

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

It’s being banded about at the moment as it’s the main reason 99% of drivers leave. The pay is fantastic and the work is a piece of urine [emoji106]

Heavy-metal-Hodge:
it sounds like the same job. warehouse strap the load and you deliver straight to builders yard.

And there’s where it turns to ■■■■ if you’re doing a site delivery. First point of order is even finding the place and once you have then how you get in because new builds aren’t on Satnav or maps yet. You then get to join the long queue of trucks who’ve also decided to turn up as early as possible to get there for when the workers arrive. Then there’s navigating on the site to find someone to ask where you need to be avoiding lovely things like raised manhole covers several inches above the surface you’re driving on and builders vans randomly dumped everywhere. Then you waste time trying to find the contractors you’re supposed to be delivering to then there’s a delay whilst they go find something to unload you with.

AND…you get to drive these dwarf wagons [emoji106]

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

+1 on the 4 on 4 off. In saying that if I could get a Tuesday-Saturday or something like that I would be on it like a shot for that money - only problem is the works a little bit tedious but I could probably get over that

Your take home at Sains is £850 per week? [emoji102] Nice.

I heard with BG they always go back empty so at least you ain’t dicking about with back loads although I appreciate finding and faffing about on building sites isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Conor:

Heavy-metal-Hodge:
it sounds like the same job. warehouse strap the load and you deliver straight to builders yard.

And there’s where it turns to [zb] if you’re doing a site delivery. First point of order is even finding the place and once you have then how you get in because new builds aren’t on Satnav or maps yet. You then get to join the long queue of trucks who’ve also decided to turn up as early as possible to get there for when the workers arrive. Then there’s navigating on the site to find someone to ask where you need to be avoiding lovely things like raised manhole covers several inches above the surface you’re driving on and builders vans randomly dumped everywhere. Then you waste time trying to find the contractors you’re supposed to be delivering to then there’s a delay whilst they go find something to unload you with.

Sorry, by builders yard I meant TP, CFF, SIG and the like so nice easy industrial estate drops. I wasn’t aware of BG delivering straight to sites when I did plasterboard delivery although I could be wrong and it could of changed

If you go with BG don’t go over a closed bridge on a windy day like this 2 days ago on the Dornoch…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohh, the H&S wallah’s will be having kittens. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They never use the signs on the Dornoch bridge to tell you it’s closed you either need to constantly check the Traffic Scotland app or have the TA on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

I wish our lot (Asda) would consider 4 x 4 I’ll be right into that I know, Talking of BG they’re in our yard for the foreseeable as they was kicked out of their place and they start from about 05.00 onwards by the looks of things but also have night trunkers too and days seem to be Mon to Fri with some Saturdays by the looks of it.

Thread resurrection time.

Did you end up getting the job there? I notice they’re hiring again and I’m quite close to that site, definitely interested in cutting my commute times down.

Anyone else work there? What’s the work like?

Conor:

Heavy-metal-Hodge:

And there’s where it turns to [zb] if you’re doing a site delivery. First point of order is even finding the place and once you have then how you get in because new builds aren’t on Satnav or maps yet. You then get to join the long queue of trucks who’ve also decided to turn up as early as possible to get there for when the workers arrive. Then there’s navigating on the site to find someone to ask where you need to be avoiding lovely things like raised manhole covers several inches above the surface you’re driving on and builders vans randomly dumped everywhere. Then you waste time trying to find the contractors you’re supposed to be delivering to then there’s a delay whilst they go find something to unload you with.

So if you don’t like a challenge dont apply,I did bricks and blocks for years and the best part of it was aforementioned challenges, keeps the driving skills up.