Driving assessments and interviews

I have an interview ext Wednesday which includes a driving assessment.
I’m not worried about that, but just wondered what others had to do during the assessment out of interest?

Day 1 A theory test (basically the RSA/or UK) theory you sit when applying for a permit. 38/40 was discusted [emoji23][emoji23] as I only passed my test 2 months before hand.

Day 2 Assessed drive with senior driver and manovours that youd do on a day to day.

For 2-3 weeks after my induction I had someone shadow me basically till I understood the diamensions of the truck and learnt about the turning circle as I had passed me Class2 in January and was employed in March so I had only lession time in a truck. So maybe the company where just being sure they werent taking in a headcase who would write off a truck on day 1.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sounds like they near enough retested you! :laughing:
I’ve been told to allow an hour and half for interview and assessment, so I guess it will be a short drive somewhere and some manoeuvres etc

Yeah was more or less [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Id say it will be some sort of local run maybe to an industrial estate an openish area so you can get the manovours in and show you know what your doing and then back to the yard. I treated it like a test and felt better afterwards was sweating buckets during but was happy at the end when we parked up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It all depends on who is doing your assessment: the ones you do when you sign up with an agency are pretty straightforward, but I had a driving theory test and driving assessment for DHL a couple of months back. The driving assessment was fine but the theory was pretty difficult, only a handful of questions from the DSA HGV theory test, but quite a lot of drivers hours/WTD questions.

Both me and the other guy who sat his test with me (both of us with more than 10 years HGV driving experience each) scraped through by the skin of our teeth :open_mouth:

It’s with Gregory’s, so not an agency

Stussy:

There assessments are easy I done one with them last year they just want to see your ability to drive in a safe manner and are also capable of hitching up and dropping a trailer without any issues. I never had any theory questions it was just all driving.

Stussy:

As long as you don’t hit anything your in

Sounds good to me!

Which depot of GDL will you be working from , if you get the job, and are you class one or two ?
Drivers get an App phone to log your shift times when away from base on nights out.
Parking is on Snap,you do not pay on Snap, if you pay it,hand in the receipts, at the end of the week at base, use their computers and enter your expenses.
As others said , a short drive with their driver trainer, pick up a trailer, drop it, a tour of the premises and a briefing on health and safety,uniform measuring.

If on day run class two, they load it for you, and tell them where you want the pallets depending on your route, which you work out .

If on class one , nights out, it is cab hopping until you get an allocated truck.
Beware of planners with imposible timed deliveries,if late, just ring in.

It’s class 1 nights ex farm milk collecting based at Davidstow

The assessment turned out to be a 15 minute route, the job is for class 1 but they didn’t have any spare empty trailers so was made even easier driving a rigid!
Interview was more about them telling me about the job rather than them asking about me!
Good pay, bonuses and incentives, so fingers crossed :slight_smile: