Newbie from East Midlans.. :)

Hi,

I’m 21 (will be 22 this year), and I’m thinking about doing C, C+E licence. I also wanted to ask if anyone knows any companies that pay for the licence (And then you have to work for them [It’s not cheap and I’ve lost my job]) in the East Midlands area or do you know any good schools?

What are my chances of getting work after passing all the tests?
I’ve been driving a van for the past 6months.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the link in my signature below

Are you near Mansfield :question:

I’m in Peterborough. I’ve heard that Apex Driving School is one of the better ones… I was thinking about Taylors or Eddie Stobart, I’ve heard they pay for the licence and then you can work for them :question:
I know something about the job, been driving with my uncle when I was younger. I don’t mind early starts, don’t mind to finish late, I know how they treat/pay the drivers, experienced that everyday for the past 6 months but still love it… Passing the test etc. is not my biggest concern, it’s getting work, you know 21yo, no experience on big trucks, that’s why I thought about taking the test through the company I can later work for. :confused:

Hi, I am from Coalville. Leicester heavy haulage will train you, as will widdowsons at glenfield. J a rentons do it at thringstone and nwldc, to name but a few.

I passed class 2 & 1 with Hughes driver training at Loughborough. I would recommend them. You would do your training and test in Loughborough which makes it ■■■■ easy. Good luck with it mate if you’re sure that it’s what you want.

When you pass, jobs are easy to get in the East Midlands

jbaz73:
Hi, I am from Coalville. Leicester heavy haulage will train you, as will widdowsons at glenfield. J a rentons do it at thringstone and nwldc, to name but a few.

I passed class 2 & 1 with Hughes driver training at Loughborough. I would recommend them. You would do your training and test in Loughborough which makes it ■■■■ easy. Good luck with it mate if you’re sure that it’s what you want.

I thought widdows were no more :question:
thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidl … owing-2-2m

Quite right. They used to have a training program, but they are no more. They were not a bad place to work.

Back to the op. Sorry to hear you’re out of work. Your age will go against you. If you’re thinking of signing with an agency, driver hire may be worth giving a try. They train drivers for hgv also. There are a couple of folk on here that got the jobcentre to pay, unfortunately I can’t give you any info on that because I have no idea how they got blood out of that particular stone.

Not being able to find work is the only thing I’m afraid of tbh…
I’ve heard that it’s very hard to get it done through jobcentre :unamused: but I might go there and ask one day. Still waiting for response from the companies I wrote to, will probably have to wait till Monday tho…

ROG:

jbaz73:

I thought widdows were no more :question:
thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidl … owing-2-2m

i heard from a long-term driver of theirs,that Widdows had started up again…under a different name :open_mouth:

try mick george, i know that they do have their own driving school

Widdowson’s went into admin early in 2017 I believe, but they were part of Davis Haulage, and from what I heard on the grapevine (so probably a load of [zb]) is they were being looked after by Buffaload. However since then I think Birds Logistics are running the ops and paying the wages, but as yet have not actually named the new company. Have a wander round for a chat with their transport manager, you’ll find out then and you can let us all know the score.

As above Mick George will set you on. I believe they only do C though and I can’t think of anyone else in town who will put you through, you could try Agri over Alconbury when I trained at Apex they were putting some of their apprentices through.