First day on Class 1 tomorrow

Hi guys, passed class one just over a week ago and tomorrow the company I work for are moving me up from Class 2 work to Class 1 work.

My job for the day is shunting for a local business who’re moving sites (only around 10 minutes down the road distance wise). I’m basically strapping the load and swapping an empty for a full trailer at each site all day long. Within the past few weeks 2 of our experienced drivers have actually hit the gatepost at said site because of how tight it can be there and the way cars are parked. They’ve given me some advice but I’m obviously nervous knowing it’s going to test me.

I’ve got a few quick questions and anymore tips or advice would be appreciated

1.Do all trailer brakes work the same way in terms of if the knob is pulled out it’s on, and if the knob is pushed in it’s off? That’s how the trailer I used on test worked
2.I know I’ll need to check the unit has enough straps, am I right in thinking 13 is a full set for a trailer?
3.Our fleet consists of all of the same make/models, during test I didn’t use the air suspension/leveler at all when coupling/recoupling. I’ve read on here that it’s good practice to back under with the unit too low then lift it with the self leveler to save the legs (ofcourse after checking the trailer brake is applied), is this recommended or should I not worry about it tomorrow?
4. How aware should I be of snapping airlines when making tight maneuvers? Is there a rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance

Normally there’s a picture near the trailer brake or something somewhere to explain. I’ve only ever come across brakes where put is on and in is off but I dare say there’s different setups knocking about.

Depends on how many pallets will fit on the trailer. Generally it’s 26 so 13 would be right.

When coupling and uncoupling I always use the suspension. Go under with it lowered and once you’re part way under lift it which will lift the trailer. It also stops grease being scraped from the fifth wheel onto the trailer. When uncoupling pull out a bit then drop the suspension as you slowly pull away from the trailer. Saves the legs on the trailer.

As for airlines there’s no real rule of thumb and it depends on trailer. Some gave fixed connectors, others have floating connections that will move as the likes are pulled one way or the other.

A lot of it is ■■■■ it and sea and take it steady and check if your unsure. Eventually you get your own way of doing things just like you would have done on Class two. Let us know how it goes

Park brakes are always red pull to park in my, limited, experience. Take your time with their gateway and you’ll be fine. Be confident in your abilities but don’t get complacent.
Good luck.

sent using smoke signals

1. Trailer brake is pull to park. If the button is out it’s on if it’s pushed in it’s off.
  2. Number of straps depends purely in the load. There is no specific number just strap as you see fit. The more you have available the better.
  3. Under low then stop lift it and then continue till you engage the pin. You can get out to check your height/ distance from the pin if needs be. Make sure there’s enough space for you to fit in and connect your lines.
  4. Snapping air lines is unlikely. I’m regularly near enough jackknifed when getting turned in the yards I visit. Electric lines is another story if you’re worried about them just pull them from their sockets and leave on the cat walk you can reconnect when you’re finished the manoeuvre.

Thanks for the advice chaps, that’s cleared a few things up. Time now for me to crack on and give my my best shot :slight_smile:

Good luck tomorrow take your time and watch everything twice if needed,get out and look too if your unsure.
As for snapping lines,popped electrics out before but not snapped an airline thankfully,if it is that tight a turn and your where your shopping trailers,as said take electrics and ABS out and yellow airline,just leave the red line in,you will have to take em out to swop trailers so taking them out a bit earlier will save time and hassle getting them changed.

Jeff.

One thing i will say about airlines and curtainsiders is make sure the curtain covers the handle.As a tight turn can see your airlines catch on it.And there is a chance it will snap them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:
One thing i will say about airlines and curtainsiders is make sure the curtain covers the handle.As a tight turn can see your airlines catch on it.And there is a chance it will snap them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was just about to post, I have been caught out a couple of times ripping lines on curtain handles.

Good luck tomorrow, try and enjoy yourself.

That’s the first day done.

Everything went ok to be honest, the one yard I was worried about was quite tight and due to the layout I had to blindside reverse every time (which took me many tries and the help of a banksman watching me back) but the space I was backing the trailer into was quite wide luckily. Everything pretty much went to plan, the site I picked the trailer up from must’ve caught the curtain as it was ripped quite badly so popped back to the yard with it to exchange it for a different one.

I didn’t do all that much driving to be honest, a lot of time was spent being tipped/strapping etc which did get a little boring. Tomorrow I’m on a run up to Blackburn with a drop in Liverpool on the way which I think I’ll like more than todays shunting job.

All in all so far so good

Shunting is great practice. Always good to do if your still nervous about hooking up and reversing.

Used to quite enjoy shunting 12months ago when I was starting out… bloody well hate it now! But it done a lot of good to get those skills up. I had an absolute bellend of a blindside today at drop 13 but prefer this then shunting now. Well done on today and good luck with tomorrow… you’ll soon be in the swing of it [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been shunting since September, I love it! Regular 8 hrs a day, 14 quid an hour (more than the drivers) lovely job in the sun, if it’s cold or wet, no problem, move 2 or 3 trailers then go watch you tube for half hour. We have not boss, it’s left to us how we manage our time. I may work 8 hrs, but 4 of them are ■■■ breaks. If you can find a cushy number shunting, I guarantee you you will love it.

I’m shunting today , I’ve moved 2 trailers and now sitting on a bay waiting to pick a load up to take either back to depot or run with it and deliver in morning
I’ve done more coupling and uncoupling than actual driving or other manual work.

Oh yeah another thing… when you fudge a reverse there’ll be a huge audience and it’ll make you feel conscious of it.

But blindside it onto a narrow bay in a short yard first time and there’ll not be a soul in sight :laughing: