Test tomorrow need advice uncoupling/coupling

Hi got my class 1 test tomorrow mid day and my brain (nerves) can’t seem to think of it !

It’s a tow bar trailer not the artic

1. turn off engine apply brake
  2. get out and apply trailor brake
  3. lift legs
  4. take off lines
    5)there is a black box with a vertical and horizontal lever this what I can’t remember which one to do
  5. pull forward reverse by trailor

Couple

1. check trailor brake
  2. check trailor Certs
  3. check trailor tyres etc
  4. get in lorry reverse into position
    5)Get out check height
    6)reverse until you hear click and green light is on
    7)try to move forward to check trailor fitted
    :sunglasses: get out is it pull levers back to lock pin ■■? Not sure which one
    9)lift legs
  5. put lines back on
  6. take trailor brake off
  7. check lights

Please tell me if I’m correct or is there easier way to remember

Yes my instructor is spot on and great but my mind has gone blank

You might fail if you do step 3 on the un-coupling procedure :wink:

Don’t stress too much. Any good trainer/school will have you out before your test and let you practice. Run through any questions with your trainer you have. He can’t answer questions if you don’t let him know what they are.
Relax and go do something now that takes your mind of things. Over analysing this now will make it worse for you. Go have a beer and play a computer game or something.
Enjoy tomorrow and good luck.

m1cks:

Put legs down lol

Any tips please really need them rather then funny comments

Bag of nerves as usual

Timothy3049:

m1cks:

Put legs down lol

Any tips please really need them rather then funny comments

Bag of nerves as usual

I’ve edited my comment to add a little more. Hope this helps a bit.

m1cks:

Don’t stress too much. Any good trainer/school will have you out before your test and let you practice. Run through any questions with your trainer you have. He can’t answer questions if you don’t let him know what they are.
Relax and go do something now that takes your mind of things. Over analysing this now will make it worse for you. Go have a beer and play a computer game or something.
Enjoy tomorrow and good luck.

Cheers mate :slight_smile:

It’s just that black box with the two levers that get me everything else is ok

Was like this on my class c , hate exams people watching you lol

Remember you start the test with a clean pass sheet. All you’ve got to do is keep it like that. One of the only test you actually have to fail as opposed to gaining a pass.

m1cks:
Remember you start the test with a clean pass sheet. All you’ve got to do is keep it like that. One of the only test you actually have to fail as opposed to gaining a pass.

Cheers

Timothy3049:
Hi got my class 1 test tomorrow mid day and my brain (nerves) can’t seem to think of it !

It’s a tow bar trailer not the artic

1. turn off engine apply brake
  2. get out and apply trailor brake
  3. lift legs
  4. take off lines
    5)there is a black box with a vertical and horizontal lever this what I can’t remember which one to do
  5. pull forward reverse by trailor

Couple

1. check trailor brake
  2. check trailor Certs
  3. check trailor tyres etc
  4. get in lorry reverse into position
    5)Get out check height
    6)reverse until you hear click and green light is on
    7)try to move forward to check trailor fitted
    :sunglasses: get out is it pull levers back to lock pin ■■? Not sure which one
    9)lift legs
  5. put lines back on
  6. take trailor brake off
  7. check lights

Please tell me if I’m correct or is there easier way to remember

Yes my instructor is spot on and great but my mind has gone blank

I appreciate you’ve said wagon and drag but here’s what I was taught on the artic when I did mine. BLEAK.

B - Brake
L - legs
E- Electrics
A - Air Lines
K - King Pin

So. Get out. Trailer brake on. Legs down. Disconnect electrical lines then disconnect air lines. Release kingpin/fifth wheel jaw/towing eye and pull out.

I found BLEAK useful and was even going through it in my head when I did the trailer drop on test day.

Couple of pointers. 1) Make your check of the trailer brake obvious - pull on it even. 2) don’t forget to turn the collars on your air lines. Your examiner WILL check.

Lastly, get your instructor to go over anything you’re unsure of before test. I asked my instructor to let me do the uncouple/recouple without guidance to see if I did it right. You’ll probably surprise yourself if you do the same!

Good luck!

GREENY3 hit nail on head. Remember B.L.A.C.K. i wasnt taught that in training i just seen it on this fantastic forum. As i was doing my uncoupling coupling i just went over B.L.A.C.K in my head as i was doing it. Cant go wrong. Take your time reversing. Not a race. Mirriors mirriors. And more mirriors. Good luck bud :smiley:

Mines was Brakes Legs Airlines Chain Kingpin :smiley:

I use BLACK too. The “C” is rather important, as if you forget the CLIP on the kingpin then you’ll fail. Presumably not an issue on a tow bar.

I had a worrying mental block on my test. I had the legs down and just couldn’t engage brain to figure out the next step. I was staring blankly at the examiner, he just stared back and said “there’s no point looking at me…”. I nearly folded, but pulled myself together and figured the rest out.

Good luck for the test, and fingers crossed that all the traffic and lights work in your favour.

The one thing you have forgotten on both couple and uncouple is the number plate.

4 hours to test !!!

Thanks for the coded word b.l.a.c.k
I’ll write it in my tattoo so I don’t forget :wink:

Break
Lower legs
Air lines/electrics number plate
Lift pin
Pull forward
Lower rear bumper

Then re couple
Check brake
Check trailor safe mot discs etc
Pull up about foot or two before trailor get out
Check height
Lift bumper
Engage pin
Reverse until click
Pull forward to see if it’s attached
Get out
Connect lines
Lift leg
Undo break
Put number plate on
Check lights !■■

Is that it!■■

Yes. Just explain your concerns to your instructor. Relax and you’ll be fine.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

Where’s your black box in all this then…
Don’t the switch in it operate the air pin ? if so is it only one leaver that moves between the Horz and Vert plane…

All in All chill out enjoy the ride take it steady your out for a jolly it’s not a race …Good luck

m1cks:
Yes. Just explain your concerns to your instructor. Relax and you’ll be fine.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

Will do I just texted him asking can he do a verbal walk through he said no problem meet me there well before test .:slight_smile:

Cheers everyone fingers crossed 12.30 test begins!

How long is the test for !? Hour !? Or longer

nick2008:
Don’t the switch in it operate the air pin ? if so is it only one leaver that moves between the Horz and Vert plane…

All in All chill out enjoy the ride take it steady your out for a jolly it’s not a race …Good luck

It’s a 14 plate daf

Black box is rear of the drivers side

There is a plastic lever goes up and down

And a metal looking pin going right and back to left

Timothy3049:

nick2008:

It’s a 14 plate daf

Black box is rear of the drivers side

There is a plastic lever goes up and down

And a metal looking pin going right and back to left

is that the air operated pin then

Yes that’s the air pin but can’t remener what the plastic leaver that goes up and down does

There are some really good pneumonics on here. The one I use is BLANK
B - Brake
L - Legs
A - Airways
N - Number Plate
K - Kingpin

Use this in reverse when Coupling. I use it everytime and it hasn’t failed me yet. Good luck on your test buddy; keep us posted on how you do.