Confusion of CPC expiry and no training

Hi

I am looking for some advice and guidance. I am little confused so hoping you guys could help regarding the driver CPC.

I currently have Category D on my licence and have passed all the tests and been given a driver qualification card( Passed Mod1,2,3 and 4).

I did this catagory to drive minibuses at my employment and it was cheaper for me to get full Cat D course then it was to get just a D1. I don’t need a CPC to drive these minibuses. While I was at that driving school they advised to do the CPC (Mod2 and Mod4) even though I did not require this for my employment at the time i did it anyway since it was included in the package.

The same school also had an offer for training to get a Category C on my licence and I kind of got talked into doing that also and took Mod 1, Mod 2 and Mod 3 but never did the MOD 4 as I did not intend to drive lorries commercially and was only really getting it because it was costing me only £500-700 additional to my CAT C course, whereas if I had done it individually it was going to cost me the triple amount.

My MOD 2 is due to expire as I have nearly had it two years and I have been contacted by the school stating If I don’t do the MOD 4 then the MOD2 will expire meaning I will have to take it again in the future if I wish to drive lorrys commercially.

Currently, I am happy in my current employment and don’t have any intention to drive commercially be that CAT C or CAT D. I currently have not done any course towards the 35hrs CPC and simply have been given the DQC card on completing the MOD4 for the CAT D.

My questions are if I don’t do any training towards the 35hrs CPC within 5 years will my DQC expire meaning I have to resit the MOD 2 and MOD4 again? if i wish to driver commercially in the future and
and not taken the 35hrs training to keep my DQC alive will the DQC expire meaning starting over MOD 2 and MOD 4 again?

I currently don’t intend to take any training every 5 years but I don’t want to lose the MOD 2 and MOD 4 for my CAT D. For example I dont take any of the CPC training but then in 7 years time my circumstances changes and I wish to drive buses comcercially, will it be case of simply doing the 35hrs or doing MOD 2 and MOD 4 again as well as the 35hrs?

If I have to keep it alive by doing the 35hrs every 5 years then the I am thinking in doing the CAT C MOD 4 as I will only have to sit one set of training for both CAT C and CAT D. However, If my DQC won’t expire then I will leave everything as it is and only do the training if In the future If I wish to driver commercially.

Can anyone assist with the above as I am mega confused and I hope I have not confused others too.

Kind Regards

PCV - you have passed mod 4 so if you let that initial 5 years run out without doing the 35 hours then you can simply re-instate the PCV CPC in the future by doing the 35 hours

LGV - you will need to do both mods 2 + 4 when the current mod 2 lapses after its 2 year expiry date

Thanks Rog, Makes sense now.