Decision Made (Sort of)

Hey guys,

I’ve decided HGV driving is definitely something for me. I’m thinking of getting my Class 2 and then going back in a year or so’s time to do the Class 1 and eventually doing my ADR. I’ve got two training companies in mind but I wanted to run them past you guys and get some opinions/feedback on them.

Wallace School of Transport - This company is very local to me in the Slough area, I’ve seen their trucks driving around numerous amounts of times on my way to work/college and I was thinking about making a stop and checking out their site some point within the next few weeks. I browsed through this forum and saw some good feedback about them however it was left around 2-3 years ago so I just wanted to know if anyone has had any success with them recently.

Peter Smythe Transport Training - I’ve seen a lot of good feedback on this forum about this company and I would have probably already booked with them, however I live 2 and a half hours away from their site and it would cost me a pretty penny in petrol getting up there every day to do the course. I’m not against going with them, again, because of the positive feedback I’ve seen on here. However with no offense intended to this company, if I could get my HGV licence with a company more local, I think it would make sense to do so.

Also, I’m thinking it would be beneficial to learn in a manual truck as opposed to an automatic. I think I’m right in saying most newer trucks are automatics now and manual boxes aren’t as common however they are a little more complex - so would it be worth spending a little extra to learn in a manual or should I just stick with an automatic?

Apologies for asking a lot of questions during my short time on this forum, however I’m just trying to get the best understanding for (hopefully) my new career! :wink:

Hi smify I passed with Pete, I think he offers free board for trainees over 70 miles away. I’m sure he’ll reply to your topic soon

Living where you do, we would offer you free accommodation. To limit time away from home, happy to conduct the course over a weekend ie all day Saturday and Sunday with test on Monday.

Why even think about training on a manual? Most 2 axle rigids are either auto or 6 speed. 3 or 4 axle might have a range change (which will take a few minutes to sort out if you come across one).

A further bonus is our Christmas Offer. You will find that unbeatable.

Any questions, just fire away.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll throw in my 2p. Peter Smythe is worth the fuel bill or better yet you could stay up there.

I learnt on an auto with them and it’s great. One less thing to worry about, why make life harder for yourself? First job I’ve got and it’s a manual 6 speed. Just like the car and aside from getting used to where the gears are and the clutch bite point it’s not difficult. If you’re experienced in manual cars then manual trucks won’t be a great leap.

Splitter boxes I’ve not yet encountered but don’t imagine it would take much to figure out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wallace School of Transport are on the recommended trainers list and I believe they have a very good reputation.

I would always recommend people use a local training company if they have one with an excellent reputation, if you don’t have a local training company with an excellent reputation be prepared to travel.

WFC Smify:
Also, I’m thinking it would be beneficial to learn in a manual truck as opposed to an automatic. I think I’m right in saying most newer trucks are automatics now and manual boxes aren’t as common however they are a little more complex - so would it be worth spending a little extra to learn in a manual or should I just stick with an automatic?

Apologies for asking a lot of questions during my short time on this forum, however I’m just trying to get the best understanding for (hopefully) my new career! :wink:

I did drive a 16 plate manual rigid this year, with a range change and splitter, but it was specced for draw-bar work and you don’t have to change gear that much with a 500+ bhp 18tonner. :laughing:
But I think most fleet spec rigids that aren’t auto’s will be a 6 speed gearbox, no range change or splitters, any other options are likely to change from maunfactuer to maunfactuer, so you might learn on one type and go somewhere and get presented with a completly different type.

This is what happened when I did my training many years ago, I passed in a truck with a 6 speed box, no range change and no splitter, the next truck I drove had 16 gears, 4 speed box, range change and splitter on every gear and probably a crawler in there as well.

Provided you know what a gear lever and clutch pedal does and understand what a range change and a splitter does, you should be ok, or if the school has a manual with those get a quick trip or at least somebody to show you how it works.

I passed with Wallace recently in Croydon, test in Guildford, can’t say anything bad. Professional instructor, professional customer service on the phone, possibly a bit more expensive compared to some schools but you get to drive nice brand new truck, automatic by the way, so I could really concentrate on driving. Had assessment drive with another school on manual and every time I stopped had to try 3 - 4 times to stick in first gear, asked instructor if I’m doing anything wrong, no answer so I assumed it’s just the truck.Whatever was the reason I just decided I have no time and money to sort it out. One advice though, always check meeting place with your instructor as once they told me wrong place but I was clever enough to call my instructor and double check.

milesahead:
One advice though, always check meeting place with your instructor as once they told me wrong place but I was clever enough to call my instructor and double check.

Thought they would have had there own premises to set out from etc rather than a random meeting point. Seems strange.

I travelled from the South West up to do both my class 2 , & a few months later, class1 training with Peter Smythe transport training.
The training I had was second to none, & I was lucky enough to have Peter himself to driver train me, with his expert knowledge
I achieved my class2 , & later clean sheet Class I pass , I have no regrets whatsoever in travelling the distance I did , & I stayed in very comfortable accommodation arranged for me by Peters Smythe’s company, for the duration of training & tests .
Pay for good training & past first time. If you go somewhere else and pay for inadequate training, you could probably pay a lot more money on further training on failed tests , vehicle hire & another test or two!

Aurri:

milesahead:
One advice though, always check meeting place with your instructor as once they told me wrong place but I was clever enough to call my instructor and double check.

Thought they would have had there own premises to set out from etc rather than a random meeting point. Seems strange.

They have, but not in Croydon, in Croydon they have only parking space where they keep lorries overnight, and another pick up point in Mitcham, where they swap pupils as they normally do 1 to 1 training 4 hours, than drop you off in Mitcham if they have some one else on that day, if no then you will drive back to Croydon. You will also drive to one of their places to practice reverse, so it’s fine. Normally in the morning you will meet your instructor in Croydon, where lorries are parked and I was told to meet him in Mitcham 7.00 which was obviously strange.