Realistic wages for a newbie

Hi,

I’m looking at changing my career to become a truck driver as it’s what I’ve wanted to do since I was a kid.
However one of the questions I need honest answers on is how much will I get paid?
I’m looking at doing my class 2 and class 1 to keep as many job prospects as possible
What could I look to earn a month in either class working during the day (no nights out) with the odd weekend?
I don’t mind early mornings but nights out are a no.

Thanks in advance
Bucky

Have a look on the job Board websites. Ignore all the agency adverts and it should give you a rough idea of potential earnings in your area.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The variation is massive. Some places will pay minimum wage and a dip in the lucky bag. On the other hand, Co-op pay £32k for C and £33k for CE and take on newbies.

Whilst there isn’t a driver shortage, the pool of available drivers is shrinking - so things are looking up and the cheapskates wanting to pay next to nothing will end up with no driver.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That’s not much incentive to drive artic for Co op. Barely notice an extra grand after the tax man’s been.

That’s not much incentive to drive artic for Co op. Barely notice an extra grand after the tax man’s been.

Agreed, but I would expect the work to be easier. And it only looks so bad cos the CAT C drivers are generously paid. £33k for CE is good money - no matter how you look at it. (No nights out!)

Depends on what part of the country your in

Peter Smythe:

Agreed, but I would expect the work to be easier. And it only looks so bad cos the CAT C drivers are generously paid. £33k for CE is good money - no matter how you look at it. (No nights out!)

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

True, can’t say as I’ve seen any cat C that high. Thought it topped out about 28k.

I am 7 weeks into first job in south Lincolnshire. I take home near as 500 per week for Sunday to Thursday class 1 day rate. I have some long days but short one’s as well. Thats about a 32k basic

Nights out are on top and parking paid

Peter Smythe:

Working weekends and crap start times.

And shed loads of hours…and grafting like a fool…and driving knackered old stinking Scania’s with nose contents all over the side of the seat…enjoy :wink:

eagerbeaver:

Peter Smythe:

And shed loads of hours…and grafting like a fool…and driving knackered old stinking Scania’s with nose contents all over the side of the seat…enjoy :wink:

I’m not being confrontational - but for someone with no experience that might be a great start. Most people coming into driving are not leaving magic circle law firms or investment banks in Canary Wharf to do so… And 32k is a very respectable salary for someone with no experience in most fields.

You can look at it in a negative way or you can see it as experience when you earn some decent money. I have a degree and specific skills in my field of engineering. I currently earn less than half of the amount quoted… And I’ll be up for the next 24 hours working on getting a submission ready for a conference. So it sounds pretty wonderful to me.

Peter Smythe:
Agreed, but I would expect the work to be easier.

Wish the class 1 work for coop was easier, but its basically the same as its all lugging cages off the truck and into the storeroom.

Mind you, I prefer the class 1 shorter trailers as they are often easier to park in some of the daft places than those insane rigids they have. Turning circle of the QE2 and tailswing of an oil tanker.

Doesn’t pay as well on agency but that probably the robbing gits not coop. :slight_smile:

trevHCS:

Peter Smythe:
Agreed, but I would expect the work to be easier.

Wish the class 1 work for coop was easier, but its basically the same as its all lugging cages off the truck and into the storeroom.

Mind you, I prefer the class 1 shorter trailers as they are often easier to park in some of the daft places than those insane rigids they have. Turning circle of the QE2 and tailswing of an oil tanker.

Doesn’t pay as well on agency but that probably the robbing gits not coop. :slight_smile:

Now now don’t be so cynical about the robbing git agency bosses

sammym:

eagerbeaver:

Peter Smythe:

I’m not being confrontational - but for someone with no experience that might be a great start. Most people coming into driving are not leaving magic circle law firms or investment banks in Canary Wharf to do so… And 32k is a very respectable salary for someone with no experience in most fields.

You can look at it in a negative way or you can see it as experience when you earn some decent money. I have a degree and specific skills in my field of engineering. I currently earn less than half of the amount quoted… And I’ll be up for the next 24 hours working on getting a submission ready for a conference. So it sounds pretty wonderful to me.

I’ve got to agree with this point. There are lots of jobs that people WITH experience don’t earn that kind of money whilst still working long hours, weekends and hard work. I was a night manager in a supermarket working the same sort of hours that I am now. I was working “harder” as well. I take home about £50 a week more now. For far less responsibility as well.

Beaver I have seen your post in the PDF about your new job and I hope this one works for you. By your own admission your experience and record has got you that. By putting in your “apprenticeship” at Co-op, Iceland etc you have got the good job. As an “apprenticeship” wage for a couple of years £32k isn’t bad!

I do fridges at the minute but the company I work for also do tanks- ad blue and powder. I am hoping in a year or so time to try and get onto that and then get that experience to either continue or look for a “better” job in the way you have. We all have to start somewhere and if I was near and still looking that doesn’t seem bad as a start.

Fair point KC. The idea of the post was to clarify to newbies that good money initially is usually hand in hand with various degree’s of crap :wink:

Thanks though for the wishes with the new job. Own account work Mon-Fri 48 hrs £29k :wink: Took me 2.5 years of cack general haulage/fridges/containers etc to get in, but hard work and NOT bending over can get new drivers a good result.

I would suggest to newbies to try and strike a balance of getting work/experience but NOT working for peanuts, as this will only undermine drivers wages in the long run.