Dropping to a realistic salary?

As I have recently passed i have a few months to pay off a little debt then I can afford to drop salary. As it stands im earning around £25,000. As a class 2 driver with no experience im guessing i need to be planning to be on around £9 an hour for a while is this about right? Ive seen jobs for a little under and way above but wondering if these will go straight to the more experienced guys?

its very early days yet and at the minute im learning about WTD and drivers hours as it seems the initial cpc teaches you very little on this. I havent applied for much yet apart from a couple of jobs at a similar wage bracket. If I fail to get anywhere by June I will re assess what I need to be realistically looking at. Obviously I did some research before on adverage wages but im wondering now if that applies to experienced drivers and a newbie should be aiming lower?
Im in the Manchester area if that makes any difference?

£9 is a pretty good rate for class 2

You won’t get the cream of the jobs when your just starting out.

You’ve got to gain that all important experience whilst proving yourself and gaining a good reputation at the same time.

OK makes sense. I should be able to drop soon. 1 step back to go two steps forward I guess!

On a side note I’m guessing you get paid only for driving and other work and all breaks are not paid for and taken out the daily shift?

If CE is in the grand scheme at some point, maybe consider getting that done while you’re earning reasonable money. This would widen your employment opportunities and you really shouldn’t be getting any noticeable drop if you can secure CE work.

If you take a big drop in money to work on CAT C, you could end up trapped and unable to fund CE in the future. But, for all I know, it’s not even a consideration.

The other thing to think about is a drivers’ hours and tacho cpc course. This would be credited to the period following your current expiry (which I’m assuming is 2020). Two birds, one stone.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

On a side note I’m guessing you get paid only for driving and other work and all breaks are not paid for and taken out the daily shift?

It’s not unusual for breaks to be unpaid. But it’s also getting more common to have some paid breaks. All depends who you work for.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete,
Something to think about then. Maybe I wait and get class 1 done later on in the year. I have looked at the wtd/tacho course. Like you say I’ll have to do it anyhow. £65 so nothing too much really.

I get paid all my breaks.

Good job you do in your case, otherwise you would be broke Paul.

There’s dozens of pay schemes out there, all of which have their merits, all of which can be to your loss if things don’t go right.

BeakFreak81 was spot on. :sunglasses:

eagerbeaver:

Me? Toss it off?

PaulNowak:

eagerbeaver:

Me? Toss it off?

So much so that you could pick up a full wagon of toilet paper, and only have half left by the time you deliver it…

Jealousy is such a cruel mistress

PaulNowak:
Jealousy is such a cruel mistress

I’d prefer jelly and a cruel mistress! :wink:

BeakFreak81:
You won’t get the cream of the jobs when your just starting out.

You’ve got to gain that all important experience whilst proving yourself and gaining a good reputation at the same time.

We’ve taken on new starts. Wether we are the cream of the jobs is always subjective, but suffice it to say, our drivers tend to stay for years, decades even. So it is possible, but in fairness, not many better companys are willing.

We pay breaks all the way through.

If your drivers are showing you that kind of loyalty you must be doing something right.

We’re a bit old school beak, everyone in the company has been a driver bar the finance guy and he’s learned to jump in a 7.5. It helps if you actually know what drivers have to deal with instead of being remote.

Out of intrest are you a family run company Albion?

If I was you and I had the money I would just go straight for class 1.
A lot more work and opportunities for C+E, especially if u don’t mind working away.
Also better pay. Do a crap job for 6 months then you be able to pretty much pick n chose what companies you want work for and type of work that suits you.
With class 2 your pretty much restricted to day multi drop.

You need find what you enjoy and suits your family lifestyles.