Strapping heavy plant

Had a JCB telehandler on the trailer today and used 8 straps in total. 2 from each anchor point front and back and either side at 45 degree angles.

Is this overkill? Would 1 per anchor point have done? No chains

SuperMultiBlue:
Had a JCB telehandler on the trailer today and used 8 straps in total. 2 from each anchor point front and back and either side at 45 degree angles.

Personally I would have used cable ties but if I’m not going far I don’t bother strapping it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James96:

SuperMultiBlue:

Personally I would have used cable ties but if I’m not going far I don’t bother strapping it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out of sellotape so had to use the straps.

SuperMultiBlue:

No such thing as overkill when it comes to strapping/chaining/roping,
I get the ■■■■ taken out of me sometimes, but I never get anything falling off

10 minutes extra strapping could save a whole lot of clearing up later

The curtains will keep it secure, I use some nice floral ones from Dunelm Mill.

Toddy2:

SuperMultiBlue:

No such thing as overkill when it comes to strapping/chaining/roping,
I get the ■■■■ taken out of me sometimes, but I never get anything falling off

10 minutes extra strapping could save a whole lot of clearing up later

Was a smart alec comment off the office monkey where I was loaded. I think he was jealous.

In my opinion whatever you use to strap it is just for show.
If its coming off, its coming off :laughing: :laughing:

The-Snowman:
In my opinion whatever you use to strap it is just for show.
If its coming off, its coming off :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing:

I like to use a can of silly string. The yellow tends to work the best [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SuperMultiBlue:

Probably a bit depending on how big a tele it was but if it didn’t fall off then it’s a winner. Chains are best if you have them 4 way secured to each corner but straps will work just fine as long as you bear in mind the weight of the machine. When they are delivered from the factory they are strapped around the tyres so as not to damage the paint, doesn’t strike me as ideal but the verges are not littered with smashed up machines so must be OK

8wheels:

SuperMultiBlue:

Probably a bit depending on how big a tele it was but if it didn’t fall off then it’s a winner. Chains are best if you have them 4 way secured to each corner but straps will work just fine as long as you bear in mind the weight of the machine. When they are delivered from the factory they are strapped around the tyres so as not to damage the paint, doesn’t strike me as ideal but the verges are not littered with smashed up machines so must be OK

It was medium sized with about 6" from outside of tyre to edge of flatbed. Not carried owt like that before.

Thought it better safe than sorry and I agree 4 chains in each corner, 2 pulling in other direction from other 2 would have sufficed.

Cheers

Somewhere on the chassis of the machine, usually somewhere near to one of the anchor plates there should be a little silver plate with the model number, serial number, year of manufacture and weight on it.

You can then decide the best course of action regarding securing based on that info.

Years ago when I started driving on fridges I used to work with another driver who said to me that if there was any doubt about strapping the cages, put another ■■■■■■■■ it and be sure rather than wonder if it’ll be OK. Straps are more useful being used than in the toolbox. It seemed like sound advice and is advice that I have followed for the last 10+ years moving heavy plant.

I think you should have used chains on a telehandler, even a 7 metre handler is over 7 tonnes

Didn’t realise plants were that heavy? I remember bringing some flowering dogwood back from the garden centre last week in a carrier bag.

eagerbeaver:
Didn’t realise plants were that heavy? I remember bringing some flowering dogwood back from the garden centre last week in a carrier bag.

Your lucky last week I had 2 bags of daffs AND and a bouquet of roses all on my own and I didn’t have a hi viz or a Bluetooth in and a didn’t have a limp lol

Daytrunker:

eagerbeaver:

Your lucky last week I had 2 bags of daffs AND and a bouquet of roses all on my own and I didn’t have a hi viz or a Bluetooth in and a didn’t have a limp lol

No way.jpg

Howardplant:
I think you should have used chains on a telehandler, even a 7 metre handler is over 7 tonnes

Undoubtedly better but with 8 ratchet straps on it wasn’t going to go anywhere.

One thing to consider is that if an anchor point fails then two lashings on the same point are going to fail simultaneously. So in that way it’d be only secured on three corners, admittedly that’s pretty unlikely to happen on a telehandler but the same rule applies for any anchor that is double used. Possibly another example would be securing two chains to the same D ring on the body.

despite showing them photos, sometimes doing it for them , pointing out the lashing points, you I still get this kind of rubbish happening. top photo is how the vehicle arrived in Moscow, rear backhoe had all the straps pulling it forward instead of stopping it from moving forward or backwards, consequently , he braked and the backhoe didn’t . the next 2 photos just a complete dogs dinner, straps going everywhere , including going under the front axle and pulling the machine off the deck. I have actually had 1 geezer who wasn’t going to strap either backhoe at all , destination - Moscow.
there are 4 good lashing points on these , at the top of the stab legs , and behind the front loader bucket. there’s also 2 more lashing points at the bottom of the stab legs ( good for chains if you feel the need) and also 2 more on the chassis near the front axle ( these aren’t big enough to put a hook straight on , but you can thread a chain or strap through them)the last 2 photos show these lashing points in use on curtainsider trailers.
I’m not saying this is the definitive way to strap a backhoe onto a trailer and lots will say ‘gotta use chains’ or have other ideas, but , this is tried and tested over the last few years, and so far nobody who uses this method has damaged or lost anything and we send these things out all over Europe any further and they’re stuffed in to a container. same method applies to when they’re loader on the usual semi low loaders for uk work.

images (2).jpg

What something this big.