Carrying portakabins

just a quick question for you all…

on my way back down from scotland on tuesday, my backload is a portakabin. what’s the best way to strap it on to the trailer? is it just a simple case of strapping over the top or is there more to it?

Ive seen a couple of rigids carrying portaloos before 2 side by side about 4 or 5 in length and it was just a strap over the 2 side by side all the way down like youd do with pallets. Unless yer good with ropes? :wink:

Use the legs it sits on to secure it to the trailer, they don’t weigh much so no problems, if you strap it over the top you could damage it. Last time I carried one Used ropes I doubt they weigh more than 1.5 tonnes.

if its on wheels (some are) it will need jacking up & blocks placing under axle, then strap it down to chassis not bed. no wheels just strap it
most are very light

thanks, but i meant a site office/cabin. its 32ft by10ft and i hope it’s not full of ■■■■! :laughing:

timmo:
thanks, but i meant a site office/cabin. its 32ft by10ft and i hope it’s not full of [zb]! :laughing:

i have moved this size which have had a single central axle for ease of manoevering on site, if it has block it up rigid at each corner & axle
i always strap them over top onto chassis never damaged one, never had one move

cheers for the advice. :smiley: i didn’t really want to strap over the top and have the whole thing fold in on itself! :open_mouth:

but is it a real portakabin, or just a 32x10 cabin that everyone refers to as a portakabin?
theres plenty cabin firms out there, ravenstock/hewdens/elliotts, all get called cabins

the way i’ve always done it, if its got legs then 4 short straps n 4 ratchets on the legs normally does it, just fasten round bottom pulling down,

if its just a 32x10 cabin then 3 straps over the top.

as already said they don’t weigh much, just a bit of timber and plasterboard.

if its a cabin with legs then use the legs to strap down with and if its a cabin thats a bit like a container then you could go over the top with straps.

glenman:
if its a cabin with legs then use the legs to strap down with and if its a cabin thats a bit like a container then you could go over the top with straps.

As he said^^^^, but you also need to remember to “mark-up” if it overhangs…Sounds obvious but one of our “veteran” drivers didn’t “mark-up” the other week and was given a £60 on spot fine the other week by the vestapo!

tashlad666:
but is it a real portakabin, or just a 32x10 cabin that everyone refers to as a portakabin?
theres plenty cabin firms out there, ravenstock/hewdens/elliotts, all get called cabins

sorry, it wasn’t my intention to infringe any trademarks :wink: :smiley: it says portakabin on the pick up notes.

Clarky:
As he said^^^^, but you also need to remember to “mark-up” if it overhangs

i’m quite used to overhangs. or was that hangovers?! i have some triangles and some stripey tape. and a note from my mom :laughing:

if its from scotland its probably sibcas and their 32x10 are just over 4ton,if it is then there is a chassis the full length of the unit just use two straps under the chassis of the trailer and hook them onto the chassis of the cabin,also use a bit of rubber or tape to hold the leg pins in,they have a habit of vibrating out

thanks for all your replys and advice. unfortunately, while loading my traIler this morning, the gremlins have struck and my unit is spewing diesel everywhere :cry: . one of the other lads is doing my run now and i’m going to manchester in the shunter :open_mouth:

I used to carry porta cabins just straight over the top usually near the legs but also used to put one where there was a door incase the idiots did’t secure it, and worth checking whats inside incase anything can become a missile inside, some cabins can be a bit weak in parts, and make sure any windows can’t flap around. also DON’T FORGET TO MEASURE YOUR HEIGHT and this is the unbelievable bit if a copper asks you the height and you don’t know it’s an offence, like aswell and i’ve done it is going under a bridge when it says for instance 13" 1 and you’re 13"6 but you can still get under it it’s illegal apparently to try

Be aware of the difference in circular signs and triangular signs.
A circular sign is mandatory, that is You MUST comply. A triangular sign is a warning, presumably the rollocking is not as severe if you do wallop the bridge then!
The A48 Chepstow to Gloucester road used to have triangular warning signs and I knew that 14’6" would easily pass under, even though the warning was 14’3". After a number of bashes by overheight vehicles the signs were changed to Circular mandatory which now means a trip through the forest.