Strapping loads (another angle)

I think us time served drivers generally agree that all this load restraint nonsence is simply revenue generating. Now we can all moan but ive come up with a method that I’d have my day in court with and would welcome your thoughts.

Ive currently around 25 ton of pop ont trailer (old cirtain sider) it was loaded and will be tipped though the back doors.

The restraint method I have used is 2x5 ton straps across the back (spread over the last 6 of 26 pallets) then 6 straps spread every 3rd clip over the entire trailer finishing on the rear axle (hope that makes sense)

The advantage is I can strap it as its loaded and i wont need to strap the return load except the rear end.

As I say Id have my day in court over this but just wondered your thoughts on it.

marlow:
I think us time served drivers generally agree that all this load restraint nonsence is simply revenue generating. Now we can all moan but ive come up with a method that I’d have my day in court with and would welcome your thoughts.

Ive currently around 25 ton of pop ont trailer (old cirtain sider) it was loaded and will be tipped though the back doors.

The restraint method I have used is 2x5 ton straps across the back (spread over the last 6 of 26 pallets) then 6 straps spread every 3rd clip over the entire trailer finishing on the rear axle (hope that makes sense)

The advantage is I can strap it as its loaded and i wont need to strap the return load except the rear end.

As I say Id have my day in court over this but just wondered your thoughts on it.

My thoughts are it’s too much, 2 over the back and go.

The authorities’ thoughts are probably that the power point says it needs to be chained to the floor, twice.

My thoughts are one of our lads was fined for having double stacked toilet roll in a similar way. Ie not every pallet but a cross strap every other stack. And it was a load bearing curtain. So if they ain’t happy with that they ain’t going to be happy with seeing drinks with anything other than every single pallet strapped.

It’s irrelevant what you say. With your real world experience and scenarios.

Now what does Nina say, that’s what matters!

I felt like a right badass mofo yesterday driving past DVSA and I had a bit of broken wood off a pallet in the otherwise empty trailer NOT STRAPPED AT ALL.

DickyNick:
My thoughts are one of our lads was fined for having double stacked toilet roll in a similar way. Ie not every pallet but a cross strap every other stack. And it was a load bearing curtain. So if they ain’t happy with that they ain’t going to be happy with seeing drinks with anything other than every single pallet strapped.

After seeing that insulation load and hearing several stories like yours, if I pulled a curtain I would just be doing what I normally do, 2 over the back and go because there’s literally no point as nothing is good enough for the vermin and their wee power point. You’re going to get fined no matter what it seems, so just crack on.

TheUncaringCowboy:

DickyNick:

After seeing that insulation load and hearing several stories like yours, if I pulled a curtain I would just be doing what I normally do, 2 over the back and go because there’s literally no point as nothing is good enough for the vermin and their wee power point. You’re going to get fined no matter what it seems, so just crack on.

+1

Never been pulled in over 20 years of driving lorries and it’s a good job because i would be bankrupt by now with the amount of unstrapped loads i have driven with. Crack on driver, don’t let the barstewards get you down

DickyNick:

They’d have a ■■■■■■■ field day if they did a purge on all the glass loads out of Ardargh and Allied as all loads are strapped like this 52 pallets of glass no load would go on the road. I’ve always said going by DVSA load securing guidelines that it’s not sufficient to have 2 internals cross strapped through the top 2 pallets which the DVSA deem only appropriate for pallets up to 400kg securing 8 pallets of glass bottles.

marlow:
I think us time served drivers generally agree that all this load restraint nonsence is simply revenue generating.

I would if it weren’t for the almost daily reports on the traffic news of some twonk or another who have thrown their load all over the road causing misery for thousands of motorists for hours and hours as it gets cleared up.

I just do the best I can with the equipment I’ve got and the load I’m carrying. It will never be good enough for DVSA so if I get pulled I’ll most likely get fined which leaves me thinking why should I bother but hey ho.

It’s an impossibility. Yesterday I picked up pallets of tennis balls in cardboard boxes. Each pallet weighed 600kg so ratcheted over the tops with corner boards and as soon as any tension was applied the boxes started to compact. Got to end destination and the straps had lost all tension.

Until legislation has changed to ensure goods are sent ready for travel then I can fully see the argument for not bothering.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

DickyNick:

They’d have a [zb] field day if they did a purge on all the glass loads out of Ardargh and Allied as all loads are strapped like this 52 pallets of glass no load would go on the road. I’ve always said going by DVSA load securing guidelines that it’s not sufficient to have 2 internals cross strapped through the top 2 pallets which the DVSA deem only appropriate for pallets up to 400kg securing 8 pallets of glass bottles.

I used to load 52 pallets of glass jars out of Ardargh at Doncaster and it was like trying to strap giant jellies.

Here’s the solution, a few years of research to establish the criteria for it and there will be no more need for guesswork.

Tilt test (vehicle safety test)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tilt test is a type of safety test that certain government vehicle certification bodies require new vehicle designs to pass before being allowed on the road or rail track.

The test is an assessment of the weight distribution and hence the position of the centre of gravity of the vehicle, and can be carried out in a laden or unladen state, i.e. with or without passengers or freight. The test can be applied to automobiles, trucks, buses and rail vehicles.

The test involves tilting the vehicle in the notional direction of the side of the vehicle, on a movable platform. In order to pass the test, the vehicle must not tip over before a specified angle of tilt is reached by the table.

In the United Kingdom, double-decker buses have to: “be capable of leaning, fully laden on top, at an angle of 28 deg without toppling over before they are allowed on the road.”[1]

The same 28-degree requirement is in place in Hong Kong for double-decker buses. For single-deckers the requirement is 35 degrees.[2]