Loading tractors

As the title says in going to pick up 3 tractors Monday for the first time on a step frame wondering if chains or straps are best. Also any dos and donts for carrying them. One of the other drivers at my place is going to kind of run through it on Monday but more advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance Andy

I move forklift trucks and we use 5t straps, there are no lashing points built into our forklift trucks and we are not to use chains, we have never had any issues even when a trailer went over on the M62/M57 junction with three H60’s on weighing in at about 7.5t each VOSA where happy with the way they where lashed down.
I tend to use two straps on a truck that is under 5t and anything over I chuck another one or two on it.

As long as the vehicle is stable and will not move fore or aft and made sure the handbrakes are good and wheels face forward :wink:

Oh this is an ace write up by 8Wheels :wink:
8-wheels-toolbox.blogspot.co.uk/

Is there a show on this week :question: ive seen loads of tractors on trailers on the a1 today :unamused:

Straps are fine and most you can usually load so the tyres are touching. Loads of choice for where to strap round tyres, axles or put hooks in wheel itself. One thing to watch out for is nose weights on front one catching on back of unit if you put it too far forward.

Also just because they’ve got nice fat tyres don’t get blase with driving on and off still perfectly easy to go off the sides.

Royal highland show at Edinburgh I’m taking them to Doncaster!

Great advice already so can’t add too much.
If there basic tractors with no buckets or attachments try and but them up to each other rubber to rubber.
Watch the weight distribution though and remember you may be tipping somewhere off road so get some weight over the front axles.

If its a step frame with a swan neck that has moveable ramps (like a Noteboom I used to use) drive the first one on front wheels up the neck then move ramps in and but rear wheels up against the swan neck/step.
Reverse the next one on rear wheels to rear wheels then see how it looks for the last one.

Straps over the big tyres is passable but I used to try and get at least two chains on each and a strap here and there.

Get there early, take your time visualising the load and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Oh and measure the height of course before setting off if they have cabs.

One other thing, be very careful on motorway slip roads and roundabouts, my bed is quite high for the job my wagon does so the centre of gravity is very high, just take it easy especially on an adverse camber, slow and smooth…

seth 70:
Is there a show on this week :question: ive seen loads of tractors on trailers on the a1 today :unamused:

UK farming season is in full flow now, things will be being pulled out of the ground like no tomorrow and with many in the farming community saying it’s going to be a bumper crop they’ll need all the tractors they can get their hands on.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Used to carry a lot back in the early 80’s no straps then just rope. Always did what we called wheel hitches around the tyres bit like a barrel or pipe hitch but linear instead of across the bed. Never move and works just as well with a strap. Still use them a lot on curtain work. Ask the bloke training you to show you how and you’ll have no problems and you will be amazed how often you use the same basic hitch for securing many different items.

Thanks for all the advice guys :slight_smile:

Hi Andy

Here is a picture of one I loaded last year.

All 4 wheels are strapped and pulling away from each other ( fronts pulling forwards , rears pulling back ).

You can chain them if you want , but have never has a problem carrying them this way.

Remember to fold the mirrors of the tractor in and if they have flashing becons on the roof remove them and chuck them in the tractor cab as they can get broken on branches if your delivery point is overgrown.

Just take your time with it as depending on the weight and size of the tractor it can be a wee bit top heavy.

Nice one had a look online for pics but they weren’t very clear. Can see clearly on yours how the straps are :slight_smile: thanks.

seth 70:

there was a big show on called cereals down near duxford somewhere

Used to load tractors from Renaults in le mans,3 on a 40ft f/bed all bunged up tight together,all h/brakes firmly applied,one strap round the back of each one never had any probs.
regards dave.

Dingo has replicated the wheel hitch with his straps. Perfect. Won’t go anywhere.
Use the same hitch for pipes or barrels too just across the deck laterally instead of linear.
Most useful hitch I’m aware of. Rope or straps it works the same.

If they have back actors, make sure they are locked in place. If they have legs, you can lower them to help with stability (but don’t forget to lift them again :blush: ) and if you are lifting buckets up and over another, beware of sinking hydraulics! If you will have them on overnight, lift them up and lower them again in the morning. Straps are fine - preferably pulling in towards the middle.

Are you loading/unloading them yourself?

Nobody has mentioned there are a THOUSAND different types of gearboxes in a tractor!!! :open_mouth:

As far as I’m aware there being loaded and unloaded by the client were picking up for.

Big Truck:
Are you loading/unloading them yourself?

Nobody has mentioned there are a THOUSAND different types of gearboxes in a tractor!!! :open_mouth:

there would be some head scratching with a Fendt vario :laughing: