Mobile Project Vehicle!

Good morning all

Trucknet virgin here. I’m in the process of setting up a mobile art gallery assisting my wife with her business. We are looking at 7.5t race trucks and ex mobile libraries (again 7.5t). Can anyone offer any advise on this one. I’ve spoken with DVSA / VOSA and still awaiting an actual response (last communication was an out-of-office until August 31st) but thought I would pick some brains from the real world if I can?

The venture falls under the remit of mobile project vehicle in some much as it is recreational, instructional and educational however it is effectively a commercial entity as it will display my wife’s art and possibly sell pieces and associated paraphernalia such as smaller pieces, books, etc… She is also looking to collaborate with other artists so she may display other peoples work as well. The vehicle is merely a tool to display her art in a static setting and the driving aspect is purely the means to the end in moving from base to the various display sites.

I’m not looking for any authoritative response just some helpful advise if possible to help us along. We will both be getting some relevant driving lessons to ensure we can competently drive the vehicle (whatever it may be) but we won’t be going for CPC or HGV licencing. It seems a bit of a grey area in terms of CPC and operators licence / plate but again, looking for some feedback where possible?

Many thanks for listening.

however it is effectively a commercial entity as it will display my wife’s art and possibly sell pieces

And thereby lies the problem. As such, I believe it will need restricted Operator Licence (carrying own goods in connection with a trade or business - which you are). Drivers will need a C1 licence.

I would consider this to be outside the scope of driver cpc as you are not driving “professionally”. But I may well be misguided on that point and stand to be corrected. Until test cases have been to court, it’s difficult to say. In any case, I would advise driver cpc - - you cant be wrong to do it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Have you not thought of getting an event/exhibition trailer instead? It would be much less aggro in the long run and you can tow it on a BE licence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response Pete, it is appreciated :slight_smile:

Based on what I have seen so far I think you may be right. DVSA / VOSA were a bit woolly in their initial verbal response hence my subsequent email and awaiting response from them.

I’ll look into CPC a bit more based on your comments. We both want additional training anyhow as it’s a tad bizarre in my opinion to go from a B licence to a 7.5t truck without appropriate experience.

I’m not trying to circumnavigate the law, just looking for clarity and it just doesn’t seem to be available. I’m not going to invest in the cost and time of an operators licence if its not needed is all.

Thanks again.

Lee

Hi Lee1976, thanks for the suggestion, yes we did and looked at a few, the problem is that most have restricted head height among other more specific issues and an all-in-one solution is the preferred choice at this stage.

We are keeping it on the table but a single vehicle makes more sense right now, logistically anyhow.

An important question is when you both passed your tests?

Do you both have 7.5 ton entitlement on your licences?

If you don’t hace c1 i.e passed after 97 I think it was then you would have to pass your c1 test to be able to drive anything over3.5 ton.

Hi simcor, yes we both passed 1990/92. Sorry, I should have mentioned that looking back.

That being the case, you may be able to get your driver training that you suggested credited to cpc hours. Two birds, one stone.

The cut off point for operator’s licence is 3.5 tonnes MAM. I cant see any exemption that applies to your use. There is nothing to worry about provided you intend to operate the vehicle correctly.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
That being the case, you may be able to get your driver training that you suggested credited to cpc hours. Two birds, one stone.

That’s good to know, thanks.

Peter Smythe:
The cut off point for operator’s licence is 3.5 tonnes MAM. I cant see any exemption that applies to your use. There is nothing to worry about provided you intend to operate the vehicle correctly.

I think I’m being dumb here, what do you mean in regards to the cut off point being 3.5t?

In a basic nutshell what are the requirements from applying and operating a restricted o-licence? I’ve just trawled through the Gov literature and it’s like walking in treacle with constant caveats.

Sorry if I’m being dumb here.

Truck9:
The venture falls under the remit of mobile project vehicle in some much as it is recreational, instructional and educational however it is effectively a commercial entity as it will display my wife’s art and possibly sell pieces and associated paraphernalia such as smaller pieces, books, etc… She is also looking to collaborate with other artists so she may display other peoples work as well.

If you’ll be getting a commission for selling other peoples artwork it may bring you into the standard operators licence category, you need to be careful about this because if you need a standard operators licence you will also need a Transport managers CPC, don’t confuse this with the drivers CPC which most of us regard as nothing more than a tax on drivers, a TMs CPC is much harder and more time consuming to obtain than a drivers CPC.

Having said that, I think selling other people artwork will mean you need a drivers CPC anyway., though I could be wrong :wink:

If you’re just displaying other peoples artwork I think you should be fine with a restricted operators licence, but if you’re receiving a commission for selling other peoples artwork it’s a whole new ball game.

Being a goods vehicle operator

tachograph:
If you’ll be getting a commission for selling other peoples artwork it may bring you into the standard operators licence category, you need to be careful about this because if you need a standard operators licence you will also need a Transport managers CPC, don’t confuse this with the drivers CPC which most of us regard as nothing more than a tax on drivers, a TMs CPC is much harder and more time consuming to obtain than a drivers CPC.

Having said that, I think selling other people artwork will mean you need a drivers CPC anyway., though I could be wrong :wink:

If you’re just displaying other peoples artwork I think you should be fine with a restricted operators licence, but if you’re receiving a commission for selling other peoples artwork it’s a whole new ball game.

Being a goods vehicle operator

Thanks for this tachograph.

I don’t believe she will be taking commission.

Started to get some details trickle through from DVSA. I will post it up when I have more clarity.

Just to update on this one, appreciate you guys have already told me this but wanted to add DVSA’s official response for completeness and in case anyone else searches and comes across this discussion.

They were quite clear and actually quite helpful in several email exchanges.

Essentially if there is a link of financial benefit in regards to my wife’s own business then it will need restricted o-licence, should it involve financial benefit from other people or business then standard o-licence is required.

Again, I know this has already been advised here but just wanted to complete the picture is all.

Looks like we go the restricted o-licence route unless we can rework the trailer route.

Anyhow, many thanks everyone, your time is appreciated. I’ll go and do some more homework. If anything comes up relevant to this thread I’ll post it up as well.

Lee

Truck9:
Looks like we go the restricted o-licence route unless we can rework the trailer route.

I would have thought that even with a walk-in trailer you’re going to have a hard time keeping the gross weight bellow 3.5 tonnes, once you go over 3.5t for commercial purposes you’ll need an operators licence.

tachograph:

Truck9:

I would have thought that even with a walk-in trailer you’re going to have a hard time keeping the gross weight bellow 3.5 tonnes, once you go over 3.5t for commercial purposes you’ll need an operators licence.

I’ve looked at getting a bespoke trailer built with a bare chassis and then building a lightweight a frame / shell to fit the job. Should be able to get it within limits.