DRIVER CPC!!!

Just a quick question really!!! Do guys/girls making a living through driving up to 7.5 Tonne vehicles on grandfather rights have to undergo the soon to be introduced CPC■■? Or would there be any kind of exemptions due to the fact that they were awarded the C1 entitlement with a Car Test pass■■?

Have to do the periodic ongoing driver cpc of 35 hours by 2014 unless I believe it is eg horsey types who drive not for hire or reward. ROG will be here soon with the definitive answer i’m sure

RichEllis:
Do guys/girls making a living through driving up to 7.5 Tonne vehicles on grandfather rights have to undergo the soon to be introduced CPC■■?

YES - it is a LGV C1 - those on grandfather rights will have until 10 Sept 2014 to complete the 35 hours.
THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC

Those that have C1 but do not drive one for a job do not have to do the Driver CPC and it will not stop them from hiring one for such things as doing personal removals or using one for a horsebox providing their is no aspect of hire or REWARD (rosette !!)

Thanks Rog!!! I have another scenario to add though!!! What about those that drive C1 vehicles where the driving is only an INCIDENTAL part of the job, ie, my local authority requires the gardeners/grasscutters to have C1 because the vehicles are 5.5 Tonne Crewcab Renault Mascot vans. Do these type of workers need to comply with the periodic CPC■■? As far as I can see, they are not technically “professional” drivers, due to the fact that the Driving is only a means to an end of completing their ACTUAL JOB!!! It starts to get a bit confusing for me with issues such as this!!! :open_mouth: :unamused:

RichEllis:
Thanks Rog!!! I have another scenario to add though!!! What about those that drive C1 vehicles where the driving is only an INCIDENTAL part of the job, ie, my local authority requires the gardeners/grasscutters to have C1 because the vehicles are 5.5 Tonne Crewcab Renault Mascot vans. Do these type of workers need to comply with the periodic CPC■■? As far as I can see, they are not technically “professional” drivers, due to the fact that the Driving is only a means to an end of completing their ACTUAL JOB!!! It starts to get a bit confusing for me with issues such as this!!! :open_mouth: :unamused:

Those that use LGVs just to get to the job are exempt.
If the LGV transports the equipment and crew to an area then it is parked there for a whole morning - moves all to another area and then stays there all afternoon - follwed by transporting all back to base at the end of the shift then it is exempt - it would be deemed that the LGV is not the main part of the job but just a tool in which to move crew & equipment.

If it was moving from place to place say, every hour, then that might be a different matter !!

I can see that the authorities are going to have ‘fun’ with this from both sides of the fence so perhaps anybody wanting to get a definitive for a particular job should contact the DSA.

ROG, you amaze me with your knowledge!!! A real mine of information!!! I can see all this regulation for regulations sake tying itself up in knots!!! It seems to me a case of When is an LGV not an LGV■■? Its getting beyond parody now!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It;'s not case of

RichEllis:
When is an LGV not an LGV■■?

but what the actual job is that the driver is doing :wink:

The same applies to the tacho regs & RTD (WTD) - most are on EU regs but many are on Domestic regs.

So to conclude - all truck drivers in LGVs but needing to know what rules to follow for the LGV job that is being done.

I know, there are lots of different rules…

… and it would be nice if the new driver cpc was there to sort them out with a test for a driver to be sure that they KNOW and UNDERSTAND them - but, alas, the powers that be missed a trick - yet again… :frowning: