Drivers Tacho Card Time

Hello,

Currently learning to drive a hgv lorry. Once in a full time position you contracted for a set number of hours a week say 45 hours, however if work is low and you finish early does that come off your contracted hours or are you paid with most companies?

Also, what if weather conditions are terrible snow and unable to drive does drive time affect your salary with most companies?

Thanks.

I doubt there’s a realistic answer to your question, your contract will depend on the company you work for.

Generally speaking if you’re contracted to do 48 hours per week they can expect you to do 48 hours per week working time.

Confused? If you can’t make a delivery due to traffic or a breakdown say you completed 45 hours of driving time in a 48 hour contract do you manually enter the driving time in the digital tacho card machine and the company pay on your driving time or contracted time and pay?

Braveheart2009:
Confused? If you can’t make a delivery due to traffic or a breakdown say you completed 45 hours of driving time in a 48 hour contract do you manually enter the driving time in the digital tacho card machine and the company pay on your driving time or contracted time and pay?

You cannot manually enter driving time into a digital tachograph.

Most companies pay either on how many hours you’re contracted to work or they pay by the hour, you do 30 hours work you get 30 hours pay, you do 60 hours work you get 60 hours pay.

You’re over complicating it with all this driving time malarkey, as a new driver you will generally be paid for what hours you work :wink:

tachograph:

Braveheart2009:

Most companies pay either on how many hours you’re contracted to work or they pay by the hour, you do 30 hours work you get 30 hours pay, you do 60 hours work you get 60 hours pay.

You’re over complicating it with all this driving time malarkey, as a new driver you will generally be paid for what hours you work :wink:

Well, i seen it done maybe it was start time and finish time rather than driving time.

Do, you get paid for your 2 or 3 45 mins breaks?

In an office job your contracted to work Mon-Fri 9-5 which is 40 hours however you take lunches and breaks off that 33 hours (45 min lunch and 2 x 15 min breaks) then you have your training/briefing/meeting throughout the week takes you to about 30 hours per week however you still get paid for 40 hours.

I would imagine it would be different hours per week/month only by a few hours depending on traffic and any other delays throughout the month?

Braveheart2009:

tachograph:

Braveheart2009:

Well, i seen it done maybe it was start time and finish time rather than driving time.

You cannot manually enter driving time into a digital tachograph, driving time is recorded automatically when the vehicle moves.

You may have seen someone manually enter other work or POA or break/rest but you have not seen anyone manually enter driving time into a digital tachograph.

Braveheart2009:

In an office job your contracted to work Mon-Fri 9-5 which is 40 hours however you take lunches and breaks off that 33 hours (45 min lunch and 2 x 15 min breaks) then you have your training/briefing/meeting throughout the week takes you to about 30 hours per week however you still get paid for 40 hours.

I would imagine it would be different hours per week/month only by a few hours depending on traffic and any other delays throughout the month?

Haulage is a different world to office work, some firms pay breaks others don’t. If you are lucky enough to find a firm that will give you a conrract to only work 40 hours then that is what you will work, if you have 10 hours break a week you will be at work 50 hours. Remember haulage is one of the few jobs where you can work 82 hours every week.

Brave heat …you have been a member on this site for a long time much longer than me…and to me your questions just seem a bit ,well .in my own view a “wind up” you must have realized that any road transport job is nothing in this world like a office job .forget the driving you will not make it,in my opinion too much telly driving…

Braveheart2009:
Hello,

Currently learning to drive a hgv lorry. Once in a full time position you contracted for a set number of hours a week say 45 hours, however if work is low and you finish early does that come off your contracted hours or are you paid with most companies?

Also, what if weather conditions are terrible snow and unable to drive does drive time affect your salary with most companies?

Thanks.

45 hours?..

peggydeckboy:
Brave heat …you have been a member on this site for a long time much longer than me…and to me your questions just seem a bit ,well .in my own view a “wind up” you must have realized that any road transport job is nothing in this world like a office job .forget the driving you will not make it,in my opinion too much telly driving…

Go back to school.

mac12:

Braveheart2009:

Haulage is a different world to office work, some firms pay breaks others don’t. If you are lucky enough to find a firm that will give you a conrract to only work 40 hours then that is what you will work, if you have 10 hours break a week you will be at work 50 hours. Remember haulage is one of the few jobs where you can work 82 hours every week.

82 hours is their not a limit the number of hours you can work per week?

There’s 168 hours in a week, take 45 off for your weekly rest (or 24 or whatever it is for reduced… I don’t bother with reduced, emergencies only imo), then take off 6x your daily rest…
80 odd hours is an honest working week, I’ve done 100 hour weeks as a taxi driver before now, people on 37.5 hour weeks don’t know what a proper job is.

Isn’t 73 hours the most you can work In a single week ■■

168 hours in 7days
24 reduced weekly rest
9hr reduced daily rest X3 = 27
11hr normal daily rest X4 = 44

So 168-24-27-44=73hrs

EU rules state you are not allowed to drive more than 9 hours per day
UK rules say it’s 10 hours per day?

So, that makes it between 45-50 hours per 5 days?

Braveheart2009:

Are you referring to purely driving time or to total work/shift/duty time :question:

Braveheart2009:

Yes but that’s only the actual driving time, I doubt there are many drivers who drive for 9/10 hours then park up every day.

Add a few hours other work onto the driving time and you can easily be doing 12/13 hours per day.

TheNewBoy:

168 hours in 7days
24 reduced weekly rest

So 168-24-27-44=73hrs

3 x 15 hours plus 3 x 13 hours equals 84 hours.
In the above example you are counting the rest over 7 days and adding it to the weekly rest. When you reach the end of your week you start a weekly rest, you don’t have to complete a daily rest first, hope that makes sense.

1968kg:

TheNewBoy:

168 hours in 7days
24 reduced weekly rest

So 168-24-27-44=73hrs

3 x 15 hours plus 3 x 13 hours equals 84 hours.
In the above example you are counting the rest over 7 days and adding it to the weekly rest. When you reach the end of your week you start a weekly rest, you don’t have to complete a daily rest first, hope that makes sense.

Have a Gold star, i was waiting for some one to spot my error

iomex:
people on 37.5 hour weeks don’t know what a proper job is.

Never gonna complain about my 38 hours a week contract ever again.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

In fairness, rotting away infront of a computer for 38 hours a week, listening to people prattle on about office politics is probably more tiring and draining than sitting in motorway roadworks

So, true iomex i would rather sit in a queue listening to my favourite tv show and havin a laugh.