first shift

Hi, just a quick query, it’s my first ever shift tomorrow on class C.
When I put the card in the tacho do I need to manually enter what I’ve been doing Monday to Friday this week? (van and office work 40 hours).
Also I understand I can do max 10 hrs driving with the 45 mins break, if I’m doing 30 mins drive, 30 unloading etc is it just the 30 mins driving that counts to the 4.5hr limit?
Also is there a max working and driving time ?
Thanks

spacemanZ10:
Hi, just a quick query, it’s my first ever shift tomorrow on class C.
When I put the card in the tacho do I need to manually enter what I’ve been doing Monday to Friday this week? (van and office work 40 hours).
Also I understand I can do max 10 hrs driving with the 45 mins break, if I’m doing 30 mins drive, 30 unloading etc is it just the 30 mins driving that counts to the 4.5hr limit?
Also is there a max working and driving time ?
Thanks

By the way I won’t be working Sunday and back to non tacho next week.
Thanks

Sounds like you need to brush up on your drivers hours regulations.

Driving is driving, and you can accumulate 4.5 hours of this before having to take a break of 45 minutes which will reset your driving hours. You can then accumulate up to another 4.5 hours before you’re done for the day on driving. Two times a week, though, you can do up to an extra hour of driving (10 hours ■■■■■■■■■■■■

It is an accumulation, so if you have non-driving time then this is usually ‘other work’ that does not count towards your driving total. Most tacho units will automatically switch between the two depending on whether the truck is moving.

You could manually input all your week’s ‘other work’, but that would take up most of your shift so it may be better keeping paper records instead. The back of the tacho paper has a chart you can fill in and keep.

Thanks Orc, I got the 4.5 hr bit then 45 min break or the 15 & 30. So as I understand I could work upto 13hrs tomorrow as long as only 9 or 10 is driving, I’ve had breaks and the rest is other work. Cheers.
I do have a log of weeks work just in case.
Thanks

spacemanZ10:
Thanks Orc, I got the 4.5 hr bit then 45 min break or the 15 & 30. So as I understand I could work upto 13hrs tomorrow as long as only 9 or 10 is driving, I’ve had breaks and the rest is other work. Cheers.
Thanks

Mate, have a look at this thread that Muckles just bumped.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134561

P.S. You could do a 15 hour day if you use 1 of the 3 reduced rests you get between your weekly rests.

Evil8Beezle:

spacemanZ10:
Thanks

P.S. You could do a 15 hour day if you use 1 of the 3 reduced rests you get between your weekly rests.

15 hours!! Pipe down mate :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:

spacemanZ10:
Thanks

Good thread cheers

So far so good MAN 18T fully auto clean and got an induction, no biggies yet apart from confusing km with mph on speedo for first mile, thought this thing hits 50 quickly!! :blush:

All went well for a first day as a ‘limper’. Got a run through, everyone friendly, even at the stores I dropped at, staff came out to act as banksman! Mind you it was virtually a cul de sac as wide as the truck, in go left then reverse down. Then forward and reverse to the right to straighten, using another narrow road. Both drops were patient for a newbie and back at depot got help and guidance on my return. Hoping to go back again next week if poss!
I imagine not all companies are this helpful and I may hate it next time, I’ve popped my cherry and had a good day.

spacemanZ10:
So far so good MAN 18T fully auto clean and got an induction, no biggies yet apart from confusing km with mph on speedo for first mile, thought this thing hits 50 quickly!! :blush:

An Auto 18ton TGM Man don’t get any speed quick try driving a 8 year old one fully loaded up the A34 above Newbury :blush: I get fully loaded Artics pass me

spacemanZ10:
All went well for a first day as a ‘limper’. Got a run through, everyone friendly, even at the stores I dropped at, staff came out to act as banksman! Mind you it was virtually a cul de sac as wide as the truck, in go left then reverse down. Then forward and reverse to the right to straighten, using another narrow road. Both drops were patient for a newbie and back at depot got help and guidance on my return. Hoping to go back again next week if poss!
I imagine not all companies are this helpful and I may hate it next time, I’ve popped my cherry and had a good day.

Nice one pal, glad it went so well…

And you’re right, they won’t always be so good! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

blue estate:

spacemanZ10:

An Auto 18ton TGM Man don’t get any speed quick try driving a 8 year old one fully loaded up the A34 above Newbury :blush: I get fully loaded Artics pass me

Well, on the M1 empty got the overspeed warning come up?? WTF I’m only doing 56 on a motorway! Got it explained that downhill I must have gone over the limiter for the short while :confused:

spacemanZ10:

blue estate:

spacemanZ10:

Well, on the M1 empty got the overspeed warning come up?? WTF I’m only doing 56 on a motorway! Got it explained that downhill I must have gone over the limiter for the short while :confused:

Chill it’s only a warning, registered overspeeds cause the tacho unit to flash, doubt anyone will give a monkeys about the odd overspeed anyhow.