Had enough of company but worried about limited experience

So I’ve been on my first class 1 job for six months now (tramper) but I’ve had just about enough of the company I’m working for constantly messing me about. Issues ranging from stupid 12am Monday starts with no extra night pay to getting me an RDC delivery booked in for the following day but telling me to get rid of it the night before!!

Problem is I’m worried without the magical 1 year experience and not being over 25 I’m pretty much stuck here until then.

Would appreciate any suggestions :slight_smile:

All experience is better than none. You got this job with less experience than you have now.

Have you tried applying for anything? Can look and have nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain

Magical 1 year experience? Has it reduced from 2? It has been 2 in most cases over recent years, largely because of insurance limitations and higher excesses.

Yes, there are jobs available with less than 2 years, maybe a handful with 1, and a smaller handful with none required, but I wasn’t aware 1 year was the normal threshold now.

Find another job first, then jump ship. If you can’t find another job, you might do better just taking the pasting where you are until you’ve become more marketable with greater experience under your belt. The first couple of years are the hard grind, from there you can start getting a bit picky and choosy.

Who are you driving for Djt?

eagerbeaver:

Maybe best done by PMs.

Lots of bosses (and sly people who’d snitch to the boss) lurk on these forums. :wink:

You are best off to get applying now,You stand more chance while driving.
I left a few grotty places ,Now i can only get the odd day on agency .Do not leave yet fella …

The 2 yr thing is gone we’ve been taking new passes with no experience and their good drivers , company’s are starting to realise by taking fresh pass drivers they can be moulded into the way the company works .

nick2008:
The 2 yr thing is gone we’ve been taking new passes with no experience and their good drivers , company’s are starting to realise by taking fresh pass drivers they can be moulded into the way the company works .

Not lorry driving but my boss recently said similar to a new staff member with no experience who expressed surprise to him about getting the job.

I think it’s a pretty good mindset. New pass is likely to be more enthusiastic, hasn’t learnt many bad habits and can more easily be moulded to the companies way of thinking.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

dieseldave:

eagerbeaver:

Maybe best done by PMs.

Lots of bosses (and sly people who’d snitch to the boss) lurk on these forums. :wink:

Who knew? :grimacing:

My suggestion is when listening to the next gaffer telling you what you want to hear, know full well that he’ll be spinning you just as much of a yarn as the present gaffer did, we’ve all been there mate, listened to a pack of lies and crapped on from a great height cos they could.
If half of them told the truth about the real wages for the long hours worked and general messing about they’ll put you through once signed up, no bugger would work there.

Have a poke nose about, don’t look where they advertise for drivers look at places where they don’t, go and knock on the door make a bloody nuisance of yourself being polite and insistent about wanting a proper job, sooner or later you’ll gel at the right place and you’ll never look back.

Hire and reward is the very worse sector of lorrying.

Get your skates on and go ask. My job only came about because I happened to call the TM of said firm way back in August last year! Kept calling in the meantime to keep me in his mind and then on the 31st of March this year I got my start. It did help that I returned the application form to the TM in person and I got to meet the boss (although I didn’t know it at the time).

Its all about the appearance. You turn up looking presentable, clean boots, trousers and high viz in the car. Make sure your car is washed. Greet the TM with a firm handshake and then set your stall out. Don’t beat around the bush but also don’t throw your last lot under the bus just yet. The haulage world is some what small and you don’t know if this TM knows your current boss so don’t bad mouth!

I got my start where I’m at now with only 6 month on Class 1 and that was night work delivering auto parts. I did have in my corner though, multidrop experience and 2 years on Class 2. It also helped I had my ADR. Apparently I was quite the catch :grimacing:

Juddian:
My suggestion is when listening to the next gaffer telling you what you want to hear, know full well that he’ll be spinning you just as much of a yarn as the present gaffer did, we’ve all been there mate, listened to a pack of lies and crapped on from a great height cos they could.
If half of them told the truth about the real wages for the long hours worked and general messing about they’ll put you through once signed up, no bugger would work there.

Have a poke nose about, don’t look where they advertise for drivers look at places where they don’t, go and knock on the door make a bloody nuisance of yourself being polite and insistent about wanting a proper job, sooner or later you’ll gel at the right place and you’ll never look back.

Hire and reward is the very worse sector of lorrying.

:wink:

But I don’t think you’re wrong, the hard it bit is finding the right door to knock on? :confused:
And that’s where the 2 year thing CAN come in, as I’ve experienced it…

Don’t worry that special 1/2 year “experience” crap… go for interviews/ assessments etc with other companies… who knows you might drive better then someone with 30 years experience & they may take you on…

nick2008:

This ^^^^ New starts are glad of the chance to get a gig and being new to the game will listen and be glad someone has taken the chance to get a start.
Good company + proper training will lead to proper drivers something judging by the nobsausages on the road some thing this industry is sadly lacking.

Radar19:
Get your skates on and go ask. My job only came about because I happened to call the TM of said firm way back in August last year! Kept calling in the meantime to keep me in his mind and then on the 31st of March this year I got my start. It did help that I returned the application form to the TM in person and I got to meet the boss (although I didn’t know it at the time).

Its all about the appearance. You turn up looking presentable, clean boots, trousers and high viz in the car. Make sure your car is washed. Greet the TM with a firm handshake and then set your stall out. Don’t beat around the bush but also don’t throw your last lot under the bus just yet. The haulage world is some what small and you don’t know if this TM knows your current boss so don’t bad mouth!

I got my start where I’m at now with only 6 month on Class 1 and that was night work delivering auto parts. I did have in my corner though, multidrop experience and 2 years on Class 2. It also helped I had my ADR. Apparently I was quite the catch :grimacing:

Good post. Someone comes to me with 20 years experience with a side order of BO and a I’m a god’s gift attitude versus someone with 6 months experience, clean and polite, it’s not difficult to work out. Way I look at it is that I let my drivers out there and they represent the firm, so I want someone that isn’t a hovel-dwelling idiot.

I’ve (nervously) taken on under 25s with no experience, and it’s worked out well for both parties.

And I agree with Nick 2008, I think firms are relaxing the no experience rule.