Gaining experience any advice appreciated

Hello to all,

I’m 33yrs old, Fit & Healthy Non Drinker, Non Smoker, CPC Card, Digicard, No Points, Clean Licence,
passed my class 1 artic over a year ago (June /2013) passed the test first time with no issues,
since then Ive driven 2 solo runs from Ireland to Southampton Docks, delivering plant machinery, both
trips went well with no problems, I have also done a few odd jobs with a curtainsider trailer
this work came from my brother who is an owner driver, he continues to let me do jobs here and there for him
but doesnt have enough work for both of us.

I see plenty of jobs advertised in Ireland / UK but they all request a min of 1/2 years experience, problem is I dont have 1/2 years experience.

Can anyone tell me how they got their first start? what companies are willing to give newbies a chance?

I am willing to work as a trainee on a reduced wage as I really need to gain the experience required
so that hopefully I can get working and provide for my family.

Thanks in advance for any advice :smiley:

Don’t work for free.

I know this is easy to say but you have a “sellable” skill albeit the ink is still wet on the license.

It drives your eventual rate down as well as everyone else’s.

Tried agencies? Coming up to Christmas and the 2 year rule seems to go out of the window.

Totally ignore the “2 year” thing. There’s simply not enough drivers out there with 2 years experience looking for a change.

Absolutely avoid working for nothing - - unless you are shadowed by an experienced driver just for a shift or 2. If you’re on your own, you must be paid or you’re robbing another driver of a paid shift.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ignore the adverts that say two years experience required and apply anyway. If you are good enough they will take you on. You will get experience in assessment drives and exams etc. At the end all they can say is no. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, yeah I guess I’m gonna have to take a chance and just apply for some jobs ignore the 2 yr thing and hopefully its not too much of a big deal I’m confident that if I get a start or assessment they,ll be happy with my driving and keep me on.

That’s a good positive attitude. You may well find it a bit easier than you imagine.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I started training a lad 6 weeks ago on the C category and passed He then came back and passed his CE then last Friday passed his module 4, I got a text that evening from him saying he had got a driving job in Castleford.
He went knocking on doors.

I got a great deal of job satisfaction!

Paul :smiley:

God he wasnt hanging about eh? fair play to ye lad.