New Pass, Getting a foot in the door

I knew it would be a struggle but it seems nobody wants to take the new boys and girls on it seems without at least 1 yrs experience and how the hell do you get that :cry:

I have applied for a good 6-10 jobs and literally 1 had the decency to ring me up and explain it was Tramping, never knew that was a thing in the Class 2 world!!

One other emailed me a rejection based on experience :unamused:

So, how did you lot get a start? It seems it’s stacked against the newbies probably due to insurance companies grrrrr :imp:

I’ll plod on but it is a bit disappointing.

Rant over!!

Firstly congratulations on the pass!

Agency work can be a good way to gain experience, but it brings the risk that you are dropped in at the deep end (although that’s sometimes the best way to learn).

I have 18 months of ad-hoc experience after picking up an induction with Tesco via agency in March 2022 and am still not getting any bites at all on jobs that I am applying for (albeit cherry-picking jobs I would be happy giving up my current job for). So far not even an interview offer.

Stick at it and I’m sure you’ll get a start soon!

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

This experience of one or two years needs to be eradicated as if the driving test to drive a lorry on a public road is acceptable and safe so in theory the next day you could get a job.

Maybe telling some white lies or get a friend or relative to make out you worked for them, or some of us older guys would be shipping out abroad the same day of being offered a continental job.

Any friends who are drivers ? Don’t just email firms, go around knocking on doors. Start on work no one wants, food delivery or skip work.

When I passed in 2017 my friend got me a class 1 job where he worked straight after I passed. I was put in the oldest truck in the yard 500,000+ km’s on and clapped out.

After a year, places where I collected from started offering me jobs. Stuck with the firm I started with though and year 2 they handed me the keys to a brand new Volvo. The place was only 10 minutes from my house, super handy.

Back though where I left before driving (Local Council) same money as I was on driving (just left before the shortage and rates going up) and only doing 37 hours pw not 55+. I still keep in touch with a few of the lads and always get job offers which in a year’s time I will possibly take up as I take early retirement, going to get my hands on my deferred pension before the government starts playing around with them.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Some other types of work that nobody wants is septic tank emptying or sewage tankers or fallen livestock collection from farms , zoos and safari parks, as you can imagine a cow that’s been dead for a few days tends to have its body expand with gases from the bacteria, if a hole is made and it explodes the smell would make a billy goat puke.

As said, forget the emails, I suspect they are not even looked at, another option is to look on the website for DVSA applications and decisions pages that lists all the owner operators ,owner drivers, small to large fleets in area that you never knew they existed to drive to and ask a few questions.

When calling at their premises it’s best to avoid the busy times.

Wearing a suit is not necessary, casual and tidy and all the gear including PPE in case a driver has called in sick that day and they ask you to cover a shift.

Many new starters who get a full time job tend to start with class 2 on pallet multi drops, you can either hate or love it, a Marmite job,the customers do not live in the real world sat at home ordering cheap tat off the internet, what they are told by whoever is selling their stuff is totally different to what they expect on delivery.

The drivers job is kerb side drop only,as in the pallet is pump trucked off on to the tail lift and dropped there and not what the customer expects which is pump trucked over their long driveway over shingle stone or cracked and uneven paving because the regular or last driver always does it they always say.

A pallet of turf can weigh a lot and one customer expected five pallets to be pump trucked over the lawn, another wanted six pallets of paving slabs taken up a steep driveway in to the rear of his property.

Or they want the pallets stripped down then hand ball every small item in to their garage or house.

If it’s hotel, bar or restaurant their storage area is down a cellar and the chef or manager wants it hand balled down there.

Some pallets can weigh a ton ,or the heavy ones are compost, turf, bricks,stone, patio slabs, horse feed, haylage,pet food, stoves, ovens, Aga’s, marble,granite, kitchen packs, bathroom packs, flat pack furniture, exercise bikes and the list is endless.

Because customers get a good deal on their purchases online they still expect a premium first class service for the delivery and are shocked that the drivers job is to just drop the pallet.

Ignore them if they say the regular driver always does this or does that.

Any problems or issues you phone in and if the customer is messing about and being awkward the planner will say to you refuse the delivery and move on to the next drop.

You can’t afford to mess around arguing with these people as some customers have paid extra for timed deliveries such as pre 09.00 am or pre- 12 pm, the hauliers are penalised by the pallet hub networks for being late.

One wealthy and posh lady in a posh village expected her ten pallets of peat and compost to be hand balled over her garden wall to her house, the garden centre flogging it must have said to her that the driver will do that.

After five phone calls it transpired that she had to ring her husband to get him to come over and do it.

our DHL depot used to take on brand new passes…but recent months had so many who can’t even answer basic tacho questions…and or driving skills are so poor they’ve stopped taking them on.

Get out on foot, asking at companies running trucks in your area.

Be smart and tidy, you’ll be surprised how many jobs are available to walk-ins.

If you are keen to learn and get stuck in with other duties it can go a long way.

sixfoottwo:
I knew it would be a struggle but it seems nobody wants to take the new boys and girls on it seems without at least 1 yrs experience and how the hell do you get that :cry:

I have applied for a good 6-10 jobs and literally 1 had the decency to ring me up and explain it was Tramping, never knew that was a thing in the Class 2 world!!

One other emailed me a rejection based on experience :unamused:

So, how did you lot get a start? It seems it’s stacked against the newbies probably due to insurance companies grrrrr :imp:

I’ll plod on but it is a bit disappointing.

Rant over!!

What region are you looking for? I am connected up to Linkedin. Even agencies won’t take on inexperienced because of insurance purposes. It is not them,but the companies they are involved with

Someone that has already left a career or is already driving on agency would be an option with less baggage for the prospective employer.

The hiring manager may know the probationary period has a churn rate of 1 in 5 or whatever.

Just a tip that others have said it can pay off and that is to go to a port and see what companies are going in and out then contact them.

sixfoottwo:

I passed class 1 four months ago.

1. I registered with EVERY agency I could find (about 15)
  2. Made it clear to Agencies that I was prepared to pick the shifts nobody else wanted (eg Sat/Sun nights) driving ANYTHING from 3.5 up.
  3. As agencys confidence in me grew and number of shifts & the size of the trucks grew.

I’m a now working full time doing class 1"Drop’n’swop" Night trunking for Evri and loving every minute of it.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Back on Guys!

Thanks for all the replies, some really good advice and interesting comments which I’ve enjoyed reading!

I’ve got an interview tomorrow which is good now it’s not the best job going - it’s paying per hour probably around £1.30 less than what I earn at the moment although that is balanced out (money wise) by working more hours so I’ll be more overall 50hrs compared to 33hrs that I currently do.

Salary: £27,000.00-£30,000.00 per year - this was a bit strange, why not say one or the other exactly? Guess I’ll find out!

The way I am looking at it is it’s a stepping stone in order to slowly climb the ladder and gain experience and eventually move on to something better.

The job seems to tick a few boxes, fairly local to me, no weekends which was a requirement due to family commitments. They also train you up on the ADR (Current ADR qualification is an advantage but full training can be given) so that looked interesting to me.

Can you go to a interview in shorts? I am one of these people who wears shorts all year round!!

sixfoottwo:
Can you go to a interview in shorts? I am one of these people who wears shorts all year round!!

Had a lot of interviews recently,
For Interviews with Agencies at there office I’ve worn Std office attire.

For Site interviews (which normally include a driving assessment) I’ve worn Black Jeans (smarter than combats) with a nice polo shirt, Clean boots and new or clean Hi viz/ Gloves.

If you look at it through the interviewers eyes, sombody who makes an effort for the interview is probably going to make an effort in the job, But… Sombody who can’t be arsed to make an effort for the interview probably isn’t going to arsed to put any effort into the job.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

The dress code for driving job interviews isn’t the same as most jobs, but even still, I wouldn’t wear shorts.

Cheers guys.

I bought some black combat pants from toolstaton! Nice fella, went OK BUT he asked how long I’ve been driving Class 2’s :unamused: obviously he didn’t look at my CV very much!!

It finished with, I’ll have to speak to the insurance people but we may be able to start you on the vans then 7.5t.

I already know the answer to that one! Glad I went though just to see what’s what.

I found class 2 work pretty easily when I passed BUT it was the â– â– â– â–  no one wanted, Doing 30/40drops a day for a local food supplier. Fed ex take new passes for class 1 so assume class 2 would be the same.

Sounded like you described Freightroute. They gave me a start straight after passingy Class 1. Crap money but a brilliant training ground to earn ££ whilst gaining invaluable experience. Stuck at it for 2 months then went full time at One Stop.

Just lie about experience if necessary. But there are plenty of firms willing to take on brand new passes, certainly around Manchester/Liverpool there is anyway. Can be crappy work but it’s the start anyone needs :slight_smile:

8wheels:
Get out on foot, asking at companies running trucks in your area.

Be smart and tidy, you’ll be surprised how many jobs are available to walk-ins.

If you are keen to learn and get stuck in with other duties it can go a long way.

Yep, that’s good advice, I reckon, shop around, some times of year are better than other times of year and, that changes, so go on indeed start applying and, as advised, boot leg it around and just turn up - seems to be the best way - that way, they get a good look at you and can read you quicker than a C.V. and anytime you’re offered an assessment test, you know you’ve nearly cracked it, it’s nothing like the driving test but don’t be shoddy.

It’s a lot of fun.