Weekly rest breaks?

OK I’ve got a couple of questions, I’ve asked fellow lorry drivers and each person seems to have a different answer so if u could clear the air for me on these.

1: can you stop on the hard shoulder if you have to have a break when stuck in traffic, either the 45 mins or 30 mins and you’re not getting to a service station any time soon?

2: ok the rule I know is you can’t go over 60 hours a week of driving time/ other work.
But on a regular basis I’m doing between 13-15 hours and roughly 7-8 hours of driving. I’ve been told 2 things regarding your weekly rest,
1 - it’s based on a 24 hour period so for example saying you start at 15:30 and finish at 05:30 (14hr) and I wasn’t starting work the next day till say 20:30. Would my rest be 10 hours or would it be 15 hours as I’ve been told 2 different things.

3: how many times can i work over 13 hours?
I’ve been told it’s 3 times a week regardless. I’ve also been told as long I don’t drive more than 9 hours and my weekly hours don’t go over the 60 hours I can work 6 15 hour shifts if I wanted to or is strictly 3 times a week whatever the driving time?
(bearing in mind a ■■■■ load of breaks in there lol)

Thanks for the help

Jonny17291:
OK I’ve got a couple of questions, I’ve asked fellow lorry drivers and each person seems to have a different answer so if u could clear the air for me on these.

1: can you stop on the hard shoulder if you have to have a break when stuck in traffic, either the 45 mins or 30 mins and you’re not getting to a service station any time soon?

2: ok the rule I know is you can’t go over 60 hours a week of driving time/ other work.
But on a regular basis I’m doing between 13-15 hours and roughly 7-8 hours of driving. I’ve been told 2 things regarding your weekly rest,
1 - it’s based on a 24 hour period so for example saying you start at 15:30 and finish at 05:30 (14hr) and I wasn’t starting work the next day till say 20:30. Would my rest be 10 hours or would it be 15 hours as I’ve been told 2 different things.

I’ve been told it’s 3 times a week regardless. I’ve also been told as long I don’t drive more than 9 hours and my weekly hours don’t go over the 60 hours I can work 6 15 hour shifts if I wanted to or is strictly 3 times a week whatever the driving time?
(bearing in mind a [zb] load of breaks in there lol)

Thanks for the help

1. Nope you cannot stop on hard shoulder, if you fail to take a rest due to unforseeable delay such as traffic accident, stop soon as possible in safe place.

do printout and write reason on back

If however you go over hours due to poor planning its infringment.

1. Your weekly driving cannot exceed 56 hrs 1 week and 90 in ANY 2 weeks. Working time is 60hrs maximum a week but averaged to 48hrs over normally 17 (26 week extended) week period (i believe this is employers duty to keep control of)

It would be 15 hrs rest from you last work.

15 hrs work with 9 hr daily rest - only 3 times a fixed week
13 hrs work with 11 hr daily rest
[emoji3]

Jonny17291:

No you cannot legally stop on the hard shoulder for a break, plan your stopping places so you can have your breaks where it’s legal, if you get caught out stop as soon as you can and write an explanation on a printout.

However if you’re stuck in traffic that is not moving and not likely to move soon you can put your tachograph on break, but do not pull onto the hard shoulder where you may obstruct emergency vehicles.

Jonny17291:

You’re confusing the 60 hour week with the daily rest periods, they’re completely separate rules.

For the working time regulations you cannot work more than 60 hours in a fixed week but that does not include breaks or POA.

You need to have an 11 hour daily rest period completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift, the daily rest period can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods (not 3 time per fixed week) .

Any rest taken that does not fall within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift does not count towards the daily rest period:
-Therefore if you start work at 15:30 and finish at 05:30 you’re having a 10 hour reduced daily rest period because only the rest up-to 15:30 (24 hours from the start of the shift) counts towards the daily rest period.

Jonny17291:

You can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between 2 weekly rest periods, therefore on single manned journeys you can do shifts of over 13 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods, that is of course assuming that you don’t do a 13 hour or less shift and still have a reduced daily rest period by having less than 11 hours rest…

However, there is such a thing as a split daily rest period, a split daily rest period is when you have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift and another 9 hours rest after the shift, again this has to be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.
A split daily rest period does not count as a reduced daily rest period, so you could do 15 hour spread-overs every shift if you have split daily rest periods.

Jonny17291:
(bearing in mind a [zb] load of breaks in there lol)

You’ve been told wrong, neither your driving time nor the 60 hour week have much to do with how many times you can do shifts over 13 hours, the maximum length of the shift is dependant on getting your daily rest period into the 24 hour period from the start of the shift, that’s regardless of whether it’s a reduced daily rest period or a split daily rest period.

slapstick:
[emoji3]

only 3 times between weekly rest periods

Why do you think it is 3 times per fixed week :question:

Stopping on the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway or a motorway is a big no-no. Dual carriageways will have no stopping signs as you enter - there’s no exception to these other than the obvious (breakdown, RTC). Motorways have their own special rules, you must never stop on an M-road.

If you find yourself trapped on a motorway and you’re about to run out of time - carry on. You’re permitted to take your truck on past hours in order to stop at the first available safe and legal place to stop. Depending on how long the infringement went on for - do a printout, write an explanation on the back. This is acceptable, but is a provision for instances when you can be trapped on a motorway for several hours at a time (traffic, breakdown, RTC), it’s not there to cater for your bad planning - so you will get into trouble if you have a pattern of this happening.

You can stop on the hard shoulder for a 45 if you have PL, RO, BG or LT on your number plate, in fact seen some nighting out just after the 2nd Severn crossing last year.

You can reduced 3 times between weekly rest and not always a fixed week!..
The 3 reduces get re set after you have taken a 24hr or 45 hour off . If you work Monday to Friday you can have 3 reduces or if you have a midweek start lets say Tuesday you can have another 3 reduces intill Monday .
A weekly rest must start no latter the 6 24 hrs periods 144 hrs from youre last weekly rest but must be attached to a fixed week being Sunday midnight to Sunday midnight :slight_smile:
You only have 2 ten hr drives in a fixed week

Horley:
You can reduced 3 times between weekly rest and not always a fixed week!..
The 3 reduces get re set after you have taken a 24hr or 45 hour off . If you work Monday to Friday you can have 3 reduces or if you have a midweek start lets say Tuesday you can have another 3 reduces intill Monday .
A weekly rest must start no latter the 6 24 hrs periods 144 hrs from youre last weekly rest but must be attached to a fixed week being Sunday midnight to Sunday midnight :slight_smile:
You only have 2 ten hr drives in a fixed week

Someone knows their stuff :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

slapstick:
[emoji3]

only 3 times between weekly rest periods

Why do you think it is 3 times per fixed week :question:

I always get saturday and sunday off so for me is fixed week. Bad choice of words[emoji14]

Cheers all for for the replies appreciate it, still waiting for it to click lol it will eventually. Going to give some hours below can you just say if you can do this or it’s a big no.

Mon - 15:30-05:30 = 14 hours
Tue - 15-30-06:30 = 15 hours (10hours rest)
Wed - 15:30-05:00 = 13 1/2 ( 10 1/2 hours Rest)
Thu - 15:30-06:30 = 15 hours (9 hours rest)
Fri - 17:30-08:00 = 14 1/2 hours (11hours rest)

Is this aloud?

Fri- 15:30-05:30 = 14 hours
Sat- 15-30-06:30 = 15 hours (10hours rest)
Sun- 15:30-05:00 = 13 1/2 ( 10 1/2 hours Rest)
Mon - 15:30-06:30 = 15 hours (9 hours rest)
Tue - 15:30-08:00 = 14 1/2 hours (9hours rest)

As the week resets on a Sunday can u do this?

Jonny17291:
Cheers all for for the replies appreciate it, still waiting for it to click lol it will eventually. Going to give some hours below can you just say if you can do this or it’s a big no.

Fri - 17:30-06:00 = 14 hours (11hours rest)

Is this aloud?

No you’ve gone over 13 hours to many days and not had enough 11 rests

Jonny17291:

Fri - 17:30-08:00 = 14 1/2 hours (11hours rest)

Is this aloud?

Fri- 15:30-05:30 = 14 hours
Sat- 15-30-06:30 = 15 hours (10hours rest)
Sun- 15:30-05:00 = 13 1/2 ( 10 1/2 hours Rest)
Mon - 15:30-06:30 = 15 hours (9 hours rest)
Tue - 15:30-08:00 = 14 1/2 hours (9hours rest)

As the week resets on a Sunday can u do this?

Neither of those weeks are legal unless you have at-least 2 split daily rest periods in each week, as I said before a split daily rest period is when you have 3 or more consecutive hours rest during the shift and 9 hours rest after the shift and all completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift.

You cannot legally have 5 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods.

10h rest after a 15h day? 25h in a day then lol. Something my old work place would try if they could.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Meant 9 hours lol
Well the person who told me what I can do himself is being a very naughty boy but what you guys are saying and I’ve been misinformed.

So quick summary,

I can do max 3 15 HR shifts and 3 13 HR shifts in 1 week bearing in mind 2nd week I must have a 45 hour rest in there?

I can reduce my rest to 9 hours 3 times in any given week maximum and all the rest will have to be 11 hours rest e.g if I finish work at 06:00 I can’t return now until 17:00?

However if I have a 24 hour rest in the middle of the week my 3 reduced rests now reset?

And during a during if I’m having a 3 hour break, I can now reduce my rest to 9 hours again?

Hopefully it’s cracked and I understand it lol