Weekly Rest

can someone please help me with this one.

i undersatnd that you must take weekly rest of at least 45 hours, which can be reduced etc.

at the mo this weekly rest can be split over two days, say sunday and wednesday.i hear that this is due to, or has changed to 45 hours of uninterruped weekly rest (again which can be reduced)

can someone clarify this please.

many thanks

A weekly rest can be split over two seperate days?? Was not aware of that

TheBear:
A weekly rest can be split over two seperate days?? Was not aware of that

only if one of the days has 36 hours :wink:

I have been reading alot on here about rest breaks,what i have read is you can reduce your weekly or daily rest,what i have not read is that you can only reduce your breaks when you are away from your base.Both the police and ministry say if you are at a daily rest in your base you must take 11hrs,they say most ppl live 30mins to a hour away from there place of work so if is so all though you have a 9 hr break you can spend up to 2hrs get home and back so in truth you only have a 7hr break and its the same for your weekly rest.

alf apsey:
I have been reading alot on here about rest breaks,what i have read is you can reduce your weekly or daily rest,what i have not read is that you can only reduce your breaks when you are away from your base.Both the police and ministry say if you are at a daily rest in your base you must take 11hrs,they say most ppl live 30mins to a hour away from there place of work so if is so all though you have a 9 hr break you can spend up to 2hrs get home and back so in truth you only have a 7hr break and its the same for your weekly rest.

I’m afraid you’re wrong there Alf.

There is no requirement to take travelling time into account.
You can take a 9 hour rest at base and travel home and back during it.
You can take a reduced weekly rest of 36 hours at base, or 24 hours away from base.

The Police and Ministry might prefer us to take longer rest periods to allow for travelling time. I suspect that most drivers would prefer to take longer rest breaks for the same reason. But, there is no requirement to do so.

For some further reading on tacho rules, follow this link.

If you take a reduced weekly rest, it has to be compensated for, by adding the reduction to a daily or weekly rest period. It must be taken as one block. So you can take a 24 or 36 hour reduced rest on Sunday, drive for a day or two and then take a daily rest break plus the compo’ for the weekend. In effect, spreading your weekly rest period over two days.

alf apsey:
I have been reading alot on here about rest breaks,what i have read is you can reduce your weekly or daily rest,what i have not read is that you can only reduce your breaks when you are away from your base.

The reason you haven’t read that on here is that it belongs in the Top 10 Driver’s Urban Myths, and usually sits quite high up the chart. :wink: :smiley: There is nothing in the regulations that state this and the only limitation on rest periods and being at base, mentioned in the regs, is the fact you can only reduce weekly rest to between 24 and 36 hours while away from base.

Perhaps someone could tell all this to the Richard Head in the office at Willi-Betz in Genk.

I had a huge argument about this a few weeks ago where I was not going to get home until Saturday afternoon and told the office they’d have to get someone else to tip the trailer on the Monday morning.
Why? came the reply
Because when I’ve had my reduced weekly rest of 36hrs I won’t be in time to tip on Monday.
Well,Mr.Head say’s,I don’t know if you realise,but the law has changed a few months ago,you can now take 24hrs rest.
Yes,but only away from base!
No,at home too.
Well,until I see it in black & white it’s 36hrs!

Clear all your stuff out of the truck,leave it in Genk and phone Monday!

So I did.
I also got a new job!

Merchant Banker’s!!!

KW:
Perhaps someone could tell all this to the Richard Head in the office at Willi-Betz in Genk.

I had a huge argument about this a few weeks ago where I was not going to get home until Saturday afternoon and told the office they’d have to get someone else to tip the trailer on the Monday morning.
Why? came the reply
Because when I’ve had my reduced weekly rest of 36hrs I won’t be in time to tip on Monday.
Well,Mr.Head say’s,I don’t know if you realise,but the law has changed a few months ago,you can now take 24hrs rest.
No,at home too.

Clear all your stuff out of the truck,leave it in Genk and phone Monday!

So I did.
I also got a new job!

Merchant Banker’s!!!

They’re unbelievable some of them. You should report to the authorities what they try to get you to do, and that is break the law.

KW:

Why? came the reply
No,at home too.

You’ll have to wait until nearer April 2007 to see it in black and white, that’s when the rules change, although you can see it in documents detailing the forthcoming changes now. From next April you will be able to take a 24 hour weekly rest at base, although the new rules will mean you will have to take a full 45 hour break at least every two weeks. It appears your Mr Head was getting a little ahead of himself. :wink: :smiley:

why would anyone want to take a reduced break at home

If you’d met my ex-wife you’d understand why :wink:

tintobg:

If you’d met my ex-wife you’d understand why :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hitch:

I can think of many occasions when it would have suited me to do so. I very rarely take a full 45 hour weekly rest, probably only had two in the last 4 months but that will have to change next April when I will have to take one every two weeks. As a result I will be taking as much advantage as possible of being allowed to take a 24 at base.