Drivers Hours Weekly Rest

Hi

Being new please excuse my proberbly simple question! well you guys did say dont be afraid to ask!

I cant get my head around the weekly rest period, the litrature states
When taking the weekly rest period, a daily rest periodmust normally be extended to at least 45 consecutive hours. The weekly rest period can be reduced to a minimum of 36 consecutive hours if taken either where the vehicle is normally based or where the driver is based. If it is taken elsewhere it can be reduced to a minimum of 24 consecutive hours. Each reduction must be made up by an equal period of rest attached to a weekly or daily rest period and taken in one continuous period before the end of the third week following the week in question.

HELP! does this mean that if (when im working full time) I park my lorry and go home a weekly rest period can be classed as 24 hours? or do i hvae to take 45 hours off?

HELP! does this mean that if (when im working full time) I park my lorry and go home a weekly rest period can be classed as 24 hours? or do i hvae to take 45 hours off?

hi mickey and welcome to TruckNet :smiley:

right if you was to take your weekly rest at the vehicles base (yes you can go home :wink: )you can reduce your rest to 36 hours or take a full 45 hours off.

if for instance you worked 6 days and ended up at tibshelf services you could then have 24 hours off and then start your weekly driving again.

i’m sure neil (coffeeholic) will put it in plainer english then me :wink:

jon

Your version seems plain enough to me Jon. :wink: :smiley:

mikemay:

You have to have at least 36 hours off. If you’d ended up parking up away from home/vehicles base then you could’ve had 24 hours off.

Remember that the rest period is actually 45 hrs so what that means is that if you had 36 hours off this week then either the week after or the one after that, you’d need to have a weekly break of 54 hours as you need to “claim back” the 9 hours you reduced this weeks weekly break by.