Hours question from yesterday

Started at 6am yesterday finishing at 5.10pm. I took my 15 break at 11.30 so that fine. What im wondering is did I need to take my 30 break by 5.45 pm(6 hours) or by 3pm(9th hour of shift)■■ Im positive its the first one?Thanks .

By 5.45 is the answer providing you didn’t hit 4.5 hrs of driving beforehand, but you would have needed another 30 before finishing but not right at the end of your shift.

So in theory you needed a 30 min break starting no later than 4.39 finishing at 5.09 and a minute of work.

Cheers mate. Yeah im on multidrop and very rare I get near the 4.5 before ive taken a full 45 break.Thanks for clearing that up mind was boggling yesterday haha.

You did a total shift of over 9 hours working time so you needed a total of 45 minutes break for the shift, you had 15 minutes after 5.5 hours, you never did another 6 hours working time after the break so as long as you never did 4.5 hours driving time you could have the other 30 minutes break at any-time except the immediate end of the shift.

Apart from the 6 hour rule there is no regulation that says how much break you must have before going over 9 hours.

ValleysTrucker:
Cheers mate. Yeah im on multidrop and very rare I get near the 4.5 before ive taken a full 45 break.Thanks for clearing that up mind was boggling yesterday haha.

Remember you could start at 06.00 have a15 min break from 12.00 to 12.15 then you wouldn’t necessarily need a break till 18.15 .

bald bloke:

ValleysTrucker:

Remember you could start at 06.00 have a15 min break from 12.00 to 12.15 then you wouldn’t necessarily need a break till 18.15 .

Great I always wondered wether i would need to take the full 15 BEFORE the 6hour mark or as long as its started before it comes to 6th hour if you get me.

I used to work with a bloke who thought that the 6 hr rule meant you needed to have completed a 30 min break before exceeding 6 hrs so in other words at no later than 5.30 hrs duty time he’ll stop for a 30 break and he’s been driving longer than me ffs :open_mouth:

bald bloke:
I used to work with a bloke who thought that the 6 hr rule meant you needed to have completed a 30 min break before exceeding 6 hrs so in other words at no later than 5.30 hrs duty time he’ll stop for a 30 break and he’s been driving longer than me ffs :open_mouth:

That’s nothing, one of our transport Managers also thinks the same! :unamused:

RichardJ:

bald bloke:

That’s nothing, one of our transport Managers also thinks the same! :unamused:

I’ve had arguments with our compliance manager over hours and he’s ex-VOSA!