Newly qualified driver with a few q's

this forum always seems to come up when doing searches so thought id join :slight_smile:

right, i was lucky enough to bag a job as a multidrop driver the day i completed my course :smiley: (only frozen foods lol)
the question is does driving and working come combined on this? as im not continuously driving. I know if you do 9 hours you have to take 45 mins break which is the 15 min break first. Ive tried speakin to the TM few times but always seems busy. Tbh ive been thrown in the deep end and a case of sat nav and see ya later :confused: He said i Have to take a break of 30 mins before my 6 hours is up, so either take it at 12.30 or even 12.55 aslong as 6hrs is not up or gone over…

There was a day when i started my shift i was driving first (i was double manned this day) after half hour of me driving the tacho was telling me to take a 30 min break. So we swapped drivers. I think the reason for this was the previous day,i had a long day i had taken 30 mins (my lunch) at 12.30 till 1 then i set off for the rest of the day and i got back to the yard for 7 and ejected my card. I think what i should have done is had another 30 min break before setting off to the yard.is that what could have happened do ya think? How do you tell the tacho your done for the day? cos i just eject the card and i think thats where im ging wrong too.

Also whats with Manual entries? ive tried reading up on it,basically if you hav’nt done anythin since lasttime you dont need a manual entry, just press no and your good to go. is that right? I have asked a few other drivers that ive been out with and they’re just as bad , they just say press ok, ok, ok etc and its done…idiots i need to learn! and tbh my TM is useless too :imp:

Cheers
Mike

This is a wind-up, isn’t it?

Roymondo:
This is a wind-up, isn’t it?

I hope it is…

Now I can’t advise you to do this but I know that 95 percent of the drivers on the road today if they are honest will tell you that the break mode gets used at some of there stops while delivering just don’t tell Mr Vosa then you can take your break when you want too without worrying if you have went over your 4.5 driving hours or your 6 hour working time directive or your 9 hour working time directive.
P.S. I would start learning your tacho rules ASAP or else your tm will have a big pile of infringements for you to sign

why take the â– â– â– â– ? im a new driver! all start somewhere! thats why im asking for advise!!
is driving time and working time combined. after 4.5 hours ive always took a 15 min break then upto 6 hours ive took 30 mins. Normally im back in the yard and done for the day before i need a break again

Mike…are you seriously saying you don’t know about Driving hours and that you don’t know that you MUST by law have a 45 min break after a 4.5 hours drive■■? which can be split into 2 smaller breaks…15 min then 30 mins. The other law is that you must have had a 30 min break by your first 6 hours…this is the Working Time Directive…not to be confused by Drive time…and yes…the 45 min break you would/should have had would cover the 30 mins in 6 hours WTD rules.

Now I am a newbie and have not passed my class 2 and even I knew this. Have you done your CPC by the way as this is all covered in the modulesâ– â– ?

Please tell me you have not already broken the law…VOSA will have you heavily for that.

just be careful in the future pal

miked82:
why take the â– â– â– â– ? im a new driver! all start somewhere! thats why im asking for advise!!
is driving time and working time combined. after 4.5 hours ive always took a 15 min break then upto hours ive took 30 mins. Normally im back in the yard and done for the day before i need a break again

Best bet is after 4 hours take a 45min break that will reset all your break times then if you are comming up for 9 hours take a 15min that covers your 9hr rule and then if you get near another 4.5 driving time just take 30min break simples :wink:

space1999:
Mike…are you seriously saying you don’t know about Driving hours and that you don’t know that you MUST by law have a 45 min break after a 4.5 hours drive■■? which can be split into 2 smaller breaks…15 min then 30 mins. The other law is that you must have had a 30 min break by your first 6 hours…this is the Working Time Directive…not to be confused by Drive time…

Now I am a newbie and have not passed my class 2 and even I knew this.

Please tell me you have not already broken the law…VOSA will have you heavily for that.

i do know about the driving hours, but all the working time regs and driving time regs is confusing me. the law is if your doing 9 hours of continuously driving you must take a break of 45 mins right? im not doing continous driving? im in and out all time? so cos of this i just take 15 mins then another of half hour? as a few drivers said do it that. (yeah on the 15 min break they shove it on rest whilst they do their drop)

miked82:
why take the â– â– â– â– ?

I don’t think anyone is. But by the sound of it you do need to do some homework in addition to asking questions…

You might want to have a good read of this for a start:

gov.uk/drivers-hours/overview

You’ve got two things going on here:

1. You must take a 45 minute break after 4.5 hours accumulated driving time. You can split the break into two, the first of 15 minutes and the second of 30 minutes (but not the other way around).
  2. Working Time Directive rules mean you must take a 30 minute break if your shift exceeds 6 hours. So, if you have taken a driving break then you’re also covered for your WTD break. However, if you spend lots of time doing ‘other work’ and don’t need your driving break then you might need to do a 30 minute WTD break before 6 hours shift expires. Your shift includes both driving and other work.

ORC:

miked82:
why take the â– â– â– â– ?

I don’t think anyone is. But by the sound of it you do need to do some homework in addition to asking questions…

1. You must take a 45 minute break after 4.5 hours accumulated driving time. You can split the break into two, the first of 15 minutes and the second of 30 minutes (but not the other way around).
  2. Working Time Directive rules mean you must take a 30 minute break if your shift exceeds 6 hours. So, if you have taken a driving break then you’re also covered for your WTD break. However, if you spend lots of time doing ‘other work’ and don’t need your driving break then you might need to do a 30 minute WTD break before 6 hours shift expires. Your shift includes both driving and other work.

yeah i am doing. ive done all 4 module hence me being new driver.yeah i had to revise but now its putting it all into practise.

its the wtd and driving time thats confusing me thats all.

miked82:

space1999:
Mike…are you seriously saying you don’t know about Driving hours and that you don’t know that you MUST by law have a 45 min break after a 4.5 hours drive■■? which can be split into 2 smaller breaks…15 min then 30 mins. The other law is that you must have had a 30 min break by your first 6 hours…this is the Working Time Directive…not to be confused by Drive time…

Now I am a newbie and have not passed my class 2 and even I knew this.

i do know about the driving hours, but all the working time regs and driving time regs is confusing me. the law is if your doing 9 hours of continuously driving you must take a break of 45 mins right? im not doing continous driving? im in and out all time? so cos of this i just take 15 mins then another of half hour? as a few drivers said do it that. (yeah on the 15 min break they shove it on rest whilst they do their drop)

Law states 4.5 hours continuously driving take a 45 min break if you drive for 9 hours you should have taken 2 x 45min breaks you really need to do some homework serious homework just being honest or mr Vosa/police will hammer you even take you license off of you

Hi
I did not mean to come over I know so before…I was just in shock and did wonder if you were a VOSA person testing us forumites… :blush:
I am quite concerned though that you are out there driving and leaving yourself wide open for heavy fines…please do as ORC suggests and read up again and take on board

I do wish you well and btw congrats on passing your test and getting your first job…

i know all that after 4.5 hours is a 45 min break. What im saying is im not continuously driving, im driving, then delivering, then driving etc

The 4.5 hours of driving is â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– 

You could, for example, do other work for 1 hour, drive for 1 hour, other work for 2 hours, then drive for 2 hours. That means your shift has reached 6 hours and you need a 30 minute WTD break. If you stick to 30 minutes, then 15 of them can count towards a split driving hours break, so you’ll need only another 30 to cover your driving hours break later.

Alternatively you could extend your break to 45 minutes which would cover your WTD break AND reset your driving hours to zero.

However, if you did 15 minutes other work, 2 hours driving, 15 minutes other work, 2 hours driving, 30 minutes other work, then 30 minutes driving, you hit your 4.5 hour ■■■■■■■■■■ driving limit and you must take a 45 minute break. That will cover both your driving AND your WTD obligations…

ORC:

thanks

ORC:
The 4.5 hours of driving is â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– 

You could, for example, do other work for 1 hour, drive for 1 hour, other work for 2 hours, then drive for 2 hours. That means your shift has reached 6 hours and you need a 30 minute WTD break.

However, if you did 15 minutes other work, 2 hours driving, 15 minutes other work, 2 hours driving, 30 minutes other work, then 30 minutes driving, you hit your 4.5 hour ■■■■■■■■■■ driving limit and you must take a 45 minute break. That will cover both your driving AND your WTD obligations…

right that makes sense now. thats where i was getting confused with comulative driving hours and wtd directive.

ps, im not thick, it just takes me a while to understand things.
as i said in my op, all drivers ive spoken to seem useless and so does my tm

thanks

miked82:
ps, im not thick, it just takes me a while to understand things.

I’m not thick either, and I know exactly what you mean. It is all rather fiddly to get your head around.

I’ve added an edit to my post to explain a couple of options you have to cover the two sets of regulations.

Watch out if your shift goes over 9 hours as the WTD requires another 15 minutes then…I think. Hopefully, though, you’ll have put in a 45 minute driver hours break so you’ll be covered.

The easiest way to work out your breaks for driving time and WTD is, say you start at 7am.
At 11.30am check to see how much accumulated driving I have done. If its under 3hrs then I know I can wait until 1pm to have a 45min break, which will rest my driving time and can get me back to the depot for 5pm.
If my driving is more than 3hrs, say 3hrs 45min then at 12 I would have my 45min break and still have enough driving time to get back to the depot for 5pm.

Work out where in the day is your half way mark(mines is 12 noon) so I try and have the start of my break between 12 and 1. so I know I have enough time without having to have another 45min break.

yeah ive just noticed it. Thanks. It is confusing sure ill be right once i get my head around it.

I sometimes do do more than 9 hour shift.

Eat My BB:
The easiest way to work out your breaks for driving time and WTD is, say you start at 7am.
At 11.30am check to see how much accumulated driving I have done. If its under 3hrs then I know I can wait until 1pm to have a 45min break, which will rest my driving time and can get me back to the depot for 5pm.
If my driving is more than 3hrs, say 3hrs 45min then at 12 I would have my 45min break and still have enough driving time to get back to the depot for 5pm.

Work out where in the day is your half way mark(mines is 12 noon) so I try and have the start of my break between 12 and 1. so I know I have enough time without having to have another 45min break.

yeah start at 7 till 5 (if not later or earlier due to work load).