Help Required!

I run Tockwith Training in York, we have a customer who trained with a different company locally and now wants to train with us instead - i’m trying to help him out of his situation. However on his last test with this other company he refused to operate the tail-lift on the vehicle to show the examiner that the vehicle was indeed laden and no one was available at the test centre to assist him as he had no idea how it functioned - at this point he fell out big style with the examiner and started arguing with him. The DVSA have now refused to complete his test unless there is 3 seats in the vehicle for a supervisor to attend his test.

Basically all our lovely Volvo trucks have just two seats and the bed cannot be used as a seat, does anyone know where I can hire a 3 seat Cat C vehicle - there are loads of hire companies that have 2 seat 18 or 26 ton vehicles to hire but none with 3 seats except for 7.5 ton C1 vehicles. I would even consider a vehicle swap with another driving school but only if the vehicle is modern and well looked after, ours are all automatic 2014 and 2015 trucks.

If this is not possible I’ll end up just having to turn him away, which is a shame as he is very nice chap having met him once but obviously he lost his temper with the driving examiner and now regrets what situation he has put himself in, or if any trainers in Yorkshire could let me know which of you have 3 seat vehicles I could see who I can recommend. The daft thing is we used to operate 3 seat trucks for years but now Volvo don’t offer 3 seats on our model of truck unless a bench seat is specified at the factory - send me a text if you can help on 07730065149 or give me a call in the office on 01904 737049.

Thanks for reading this.

Just to let readers know I contacted Tockwith after seeing this to see if I could be of assistance in a way that suits all concerned.

I feel although we are in business together it’s important that trainers can work together at times.

It was nice that Rog rang me to make sure I had seen it and also had a nice chat with him.

Paul

Hope you have both come to an agreement that does suit all

Although yep you are both in the same business it is nice if you can help each other out at times like this as you never know when you may need a hand

Tockwith are a good training provider with fantastic facilities and vehicles. They are a lot bigger than me and have been around for many decades.

I have no hesitation recommending them if I can’t accommodate a customers needs I also have good friends who are instructors for them which is good for a bit of banter.

As long as we are all getting a slice of the cake we all keep happy.

Paul

Mercedes have a 3 seater training vehicle used for DCPC training.
It might be worth giving your local Mercedes dealership a shout or in fact any main dealer as Mercs can’t be the only ones .

Thanks for the offer Paul, I just spoke to him today and he only want to learn in an automatic - not a manual, i’ll keep trying to find a vehicle to hire.

Tockwith Training:
Thanks for the offer Paul, I just spoke to him today and he only want to learn in an automatic - not a manual, i’ll keep trying to find a vehicle to hire.

No worries Laurie, offer is still there and there is the option of using the Mercedes that is a straight six box so a lot easier than the range change.

But one tends to think after rocking the boat with the DVSA his options seem very limited.

Paul

Slight tangent - how do schools offer 2:1 training if not a 3rd seat? Whys it ok for that but not test? It’s not like 3rd person is supervising test , just acting as a mediator in reality .

He must have REALLY lost his temper! Can’t he ring and profusely apologise and explain that 3 seat options are non existent in his area and beg forgiveness and a chance to do his test ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
Slight tangent - how do schools offer 2:1 training if not a 3rd seat?

2:1 training can’t be done if no 3rd seat but even though I have 3 seats in my trucks I don’t offer it.

Let’s not open that debate again
Paul

elmet training:

dcgpx:
Slight tangent - how do schools offer 2:1 training if not a 3rd seat?

2:1 training can’t be done if no 3rd seat but even though I have 3 seats in my trucks I don’t offer it.

Let’s not open that debate again
Paul

Ha ha I’m not going to.

Still think a well offered apology might help they poor guy though. Even if he has to go to some ’ interview ’ panel . Surely DVSA recognise the problem of getting a 3 seater in an LGV ,not like a car is it, so options very limited

dcgpx:
Slight tangent - how do schools offer 2:1 training if not a 3rd seat? Whys it ok for that but not test? It’s not like 3rd person is supervising test , just acting as a mediator in reality .

He must have REALLY lost his temper! Can’t he ring and profusely apologise and explain that 3 seat options are non existent in his area and beg forgiveness and a chance to do his test ?

If they are saying they has to be a third party there I’m guessing it was more than just verbal abuse the examiner got… (or atleast threatening behaviour)

I don’t think any of the providers in Hull even have 3 seats anymore…

Thanks for everyone’s help - the DVSA has now decided to let him take is test on the 17th Feb - I quoted that it was very difficult to find a compatible vehicle due to cab design and because of their own policies they won’t accept a 3rd seat on the engine hump as its too cramped, blah, blah and they will now take the test in a truck with 2 seats! Wonderful - glad we went the extra mile for this customer as it has paid off.

dcgpx:
Still think a well offered apology might help they poor guy though.

“Poor guy”, he lost his temper with the examiner and started arguing so what’s he going to be like when he’s driving large vehicles on public roads, I’m sure many of us have done daft things in our lives but the fact that he was incapable of doing a driving test without losing his temper sets alarm bells ringing in my head.

The ‘poor guy’ should have acted differently i’m sure but as the driving examiner refused to carry out his driving test with his last driving school due to him being unable to operate the taillift, i guess he felt between a rock and a hard place.

The guy will not be a truck driver, maybe this is fortunate, he needs the licence to drive a mobile crane - or is that even worse??

I’m not here to judge, which means i’m in the minority on a forum, only to help one of our customers succeed and prosper where possible.

I was learning on a scania

It had 3 seats and is a 14 tonne I’m not sure

Google Pcm training stoke on trent

They might be able to help you out in finding 1 with 3 seats.

TRy a rental company based in stoke on trent called TVC

Hope that helps

The chap in Question, he passed - obviously he was over the moon after the rough ride he had with another training provider!