Tachograph Rules Simplified Please

Morning I have a 3.5t Van that I tow a 3.5t catering Trailer with.
I always drive the outfit myself, I don’t drive it for more than 4hrs in a day.

The Van is fitted with a digital Tachograph box. What do I need to stay legal?

My own Drivers Card
A Company Card?
A Card Reader?
Analysing software?

Do I need all of the above? Or can some elements be written recorded? Looking to keep it as simple and cost effective as possible. Just a bit confused. I am a self employed person with one outfit, that is only in EU rules when hitched to the trailer.

Do you go more than 100km radius of base :question:

You must adhere to EU drivers rules and tachograph use unless you are exempt.

From the list of exempt vehicles…

DVSA:
"Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are used for carrying materials, equipment or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of their work and which are used only within a 100 km radius from the base of the undertaking and on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity.

This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or builders carrying tools or materials for their own use."

So…

DVSA:
“The driver of a vehicle that is exempt from or not in scope of the EU rules is not required to use recording equipment, even if it is fitted”

Both quotes from the Ministry of Transport’s web pages.

Thanks for your response. I also thought that I might be exempt as I am carrying my own tools. However I was told that due to the trailer being over 1020kg I would need to have an O Licence and that having this meant that I fell under the EU rules■■?

I have tried calling different agencies VOSA included. All I get is pointed to the website and told to seek my own Legal Advice. The cynic in me thinks they want people to screw up, so they can continue to “self-fund” from the fines they impose.

antong:
Thanks for your response. I also thought that I might be exempt as I am carrying my own tools. However I was told that due to the trailer being over 1020kg I would need to have an O Licence and that having this meant that I fell under the EU rules■■?

I have tried calling different agencies VOSA included. All I get is pointed to the website and told to seek my own Legal Advice. The cynic in me thinks they want people to screw up, so they can continue to “self-fund” from the fines they impose.

The cynic in you would be mistaken - DVSA don’t get the money from fines and fixed penalties. The only “self funding” they get is from test fees (both vehicle and drivers).

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Fair Enough, but to a non professional Driver the rules seem as clear as Mud. Just looking for clarification.

I believe unfortunately I probably do fall under EU rules, but my question is: what do I need to comply in the simplest and most cost effective manner?

Being under an O licence does not mean you must be under EU driver regs

Take each law in turn -
Do I need an O licence ?
Am I exempt EU driver regs?
Do not put the two together as they are separate

Looking at the O licence requirements you MAY need one although it seems a bit heavy handed for a catering trailer.

DVSA:
Motor vehicles and trailers

You’ll need a goods vehicle operator’s licence for a motor vehicle and trailer combination if:

The motor vehicle and the trailer(s) are plated and the total of their gross plated weights is more than 3,500 kg.
The total unladen weight of the vehicle and trailer combination is more than 1,525 kg.

You do not need an operator’s licence if your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg and you only carry your own goods.

This still does not necessarily mean you need to use the tacho. See above

It also begs the question as to whether the catering equipment contributes to the UNLADEN trailer weight.

Interesting question… :confused:

For instance what would happen in a case where a builder using a 7.5 ton dropside for his gear worked locally all the time but then did a one off job 80 miles away. Would he then have to use a tacho forever after?

Towing commercially pretty much always requires a tacho.

This doesnt mean you need an o-license though.

What about the exceptions?

How far are you away from base?

Towing also isnt a part of your main “job”.

you dont need an o-license if you tow commercially with a pickup (ford ranger etc) just a tacho i believe ?

Glad to see i’m Not the only one that found there seems to be more than one way to interpret this.

I have got an O License as the equipment is fixed in the trailer, therefore cannot be removed to achieve an“unladen weight”.

Whilst most of what I do is within 100kms of base, should i want to go further then I would need to be set up.

I really just want to know what I need to do?

Vehicle has a digital Tacho and I have just got it calibrated, I know I need a drivers card.

Think I need a company card, the rest I am still unsure about.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do, card reader■■? Software■■?

Needs to be as simple and cheap as possible.