Tacho Question Re Van + Trailer

Hi guys, this may have been answered somewhere already but I’ve checked all govt literature on the matter and I’m still a bit unclear.

I know once I put a trailer on a vehicle that puts it over 3.5t I need to be on tacho and EU drivers hours regs. I currently run a van with an analogue tacho and a trailer.

However I had a situation the other day that I’m not sure about. I went to an event with my trailer in tow on tacho as usual, but then I left my trailer at the site as I went back to pick up a friend’s caravan as a favour, they’re working the event as well. On the journey back, since I was down to just a 3.5t van but in the same working day, did EU drivers hours still apply? I left the chart in and as it transpired I was well within drivers hours and WTD. If one half of the journey is ‘out of scope’ during the same day with the same vehicle, should I remove the chart and make a manual record to cover that period? If so, should it be on the back of the chart with a brief explanation as you would if the tacho broke down, or in a separate logbook for example?

Also, I assume that picking up this caravan is out of scope as it’s not a commercial journey, but if this is wrong please feel free to correct me.

I also know if I drive under eu regs in one day of the week, I need a record of my activity for the rest of that week before and after. I’ve either been putting a chart in while I’ve been on site with the van even though it’s been static and just recording work and rest, or I’ve made a manual record on the back of a chart when I’ve been working away from the van for another company (not eu scope driving) Is this ok? Also do rest periods need to be recorded, or are they assumed?

Apologies for the wall of (hopefully not too stupid) questions, but I figure this is one of the best places for a decent answer.

1 - Commercial with trailer from home/base to event = EU regs
2 - Private from event to pick up caravan, tow caravan then return to event = out of scope of EU regs
3 - Commercial from event back to home/base = EU regs

Recommend using one analogue card but marking on the back that number 2 is out of scope with the reason why

The whole of the commercial journey has been covered which makes doing that legal provided all break and rest times have been adhered to

Ok thanks, that’s pretty much how I saw it, although I would have used a separate chart to cover the noncommercial miles. Is the rest of what I’m doing alright, using charts for manual records when away from the van? I assume I need to keep an unbroken record of the past 28 days including rest then?

FTBlunder:
Ok thanks, that’s pretty much how I saw it, although I would have used a separate chart to cover the noncommercial miles. Is the rest of what I’m doing alright, using charts for manual records when away from the van? I assume I need to keep an unbroken record of the past 28 days including rest then?

Using two charts is ok for the same day providing they are listed as 1 of 2 and 2 of 2
Rest days need no records as it is assumed no record means rest
A diary is always a good idea as well as official records as it gives more scope to say what you were doing in more detail