5 axle tipper trucks?

Ive discussed this topic whilst waiting to tip, anybody have any information on this kind of spec? Seen that they’re readily available in Ireland with volvo fmx and renault, but unsure about england.
Of course another axle means an increase in payload and overall gross weight, seen the number 56t gross pop up on one of the pages i visited (dont quote me on this), would this make it an abnormal vehicle that requires extra licensing or permits like heavy haulage does? Will contact Volvo and enquire, but figured id ask and see if anyone had any info or thoughts

I think thy can gross 40 ton in Ireland although the design weight may be more.
However how much rates go up for one is another question

I’d have a guess a new one would be eye watering dough specced up for tar!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Looked at volvo FMX specced up around 150kish upwards, but this is converted from euro, seen that the limit is 40t for 5 axle on uk roads, meaning dependant on tare, only an increase of around 4ton payload? weighing up whether cost of wagon + extra axle worth of tyre is worth the slight increase in rate

The Dutch use them a lot, design weight up to 59 ton, legal roadweight 49 ton.
Volvo, Terberg and Ginaf built a lot of them.

A good idea harveybajwa but I’m afraid your plan has a fatal flaw. The maximum gross weight for a rigid vehicle with 4 or more axles in the UK is 32 tonnes, so by going for a 5 axle vehicle you will reduce your payload by at least a tonne and increase both standing and running costs. So before ordering a chassis you need to lobby your MP on June 9th, and get the RHA if you’re a member to lobby DfT, for a change in the law to allow for 40 tonne rigids or like the Netherlands 50 tonne rigids, some hope of that happening, 50 tonne I mean. If the right people make the right case 40 tonne should be possible but don’t hold your breath.

5 axle ridgids are allowed to gross 39 tonnes in Ireland if registered before, I think the end of April this year,anything after that is 36 tonnes gross. 6 axle artic and wagaon and drag can gross 46 tonnes provided they have EBS and the manufacturer can plate them for that weight.
Lots of Concrete companies are using 5 axle block/brick trucks with a rear lift and steer axle and the drive axles also on air,Volvo and Renault being the most popular. This setup is fine for tippers doing Asphalt/aggregates but not ideal for site deliveries and muckaway,most hauliers on that work are fitting the 5th axle in front of the drive axles,this axle is non-steering.
There was talks at first of them being allowed to Gross whatever was on the manufacturers plate (maybe 49 tonnes) but there is no way that would ever happen as it would make a joke of the whole vehicle weights laws.
Chassis and cab 5 axle FMX rear lift and steer approx 115,000 eruo plus vat.