Five axle rigid

Hi All,
Today I saw something I have never seen before on the road in the UK , a five axle rigid (10 x 4 )…with no body on it . A Volvo , first three axles steer and rear two are the drive.
It was on trade plates being delivered to somewhere to put a body on I presume.
But who would want or need it in this country ? I would love to know, and what body ?
Someone must know.

Hi all.It could be going to be used for some sort of ‘‘off road’’ work where weights are higher.Up here we have a lot of 5 axle trucks running in the mining sector at between 60 and 70 t gtw.

They are fairly common as tippers in Holland. Think it’s to do with spreading the weight over a larger area to lessen road-wear, but I could be wrong.
No idea what it would become here.

Yes weird looking things.They run on a 50 tonne chassis.
Hell of a beast,saw one in Rotterdam at a fuel station pulling a short tri axle drag trailer.
More bloody wheels than you can shake a stick at!

There was a 5 axle Volvo at Bradwell Power Station in Essex last time I was in there. Large capacity hiab and flat body. Navy blue colour and signwritten ‘Magnox’, the main company.

Heavy recovery with a crane on top?

Heavy recovery was my thought

Actrosman:
Heavy recovery was my thought

I know Gregorys have had a few go over recently but that’s a bit OTT :grimacing:

Have seen a couple ,usually with a tanker on the back.
Used for ■■■■ sucking/high pressure water drain cleaning.

Camfaud use 4/5/6 axle rigids for pumping concrete.
camfaud.co.uk/

It could be a mobile crane or some sort of large access platform, like a very high reach or underbridge one.

I had not considered crane or heavy recovery , it was fairly short with near equal spacing on the axles . Wish I had asked the trade plate driver .
It was the old brain being a big slow !!!
Surely not a “normal” truck as the weight would be far to much to get a reasonable load aboard and be legal.

5 axle Volvo (tridem) with probably at least 500bhp would probably be going to have a 60t plus “rotator” recovery body fitted.

Quick update to my previous post.
The rigid at Bradwell Power Station is a Terberg FM2850. LHD FM Globey cab and Fassi F1500 crane.

This one?

Magnox Terberg FM2850 with Fassi F1500XP by Scammell Amazon, on Flickr

img851.imageshack.us/img851/6920/img2008y.jpg

used to see them in Siwtzerland all the time on tipper work

commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … een-on-the

Glen A9, that’s the kiddie! :smiley:

That’s a nice bit of kit but can carry bugger all on the road as it still 32t gvw. It’s basically a mobile crane that can carry loads around the site. They fill it up at Morrisons Maldon, looks funny in there.

There’s an Iveco on an exactmix concrete firm round here too.