Finland

I went to Finland on work related stuff last week. And saw this! Never seen one in the flesh before.

It’s a 40 tonne rigid! (FMX tipper) And actually when I got closer, it was well designed and had a rear steer, so it’s probably just as manoeuvrable as a standard 8 wheeler.

The one thing I loved about Finland and I’m sure it’s the same for other European country’s, they are not afraid to spec something different, they look for ways to improve things. It feels like in the uk some operators just follow trends or just ask the dealer what’s best.

Do you know any other great configurations that other country’s use that we don’t?

Ages ago didn’t BigLorryBlog have some 5 and even 6 axle rigids showed from Euorpe? 50 Tonnes IIRC.

A 6!! That’s something I would love to see.

ibson:

I went to Finland on work related stuff last week. And saw this! Never seen one in the flesh before.

It’s a 40 tonne rigid! (FMX tipper) And actually when I got closer, it was well designed and had a rear steer, so it’s probably just as manoeuvrable as a standard 8 wheeler.

The one thing I loved about Finland and I’m sure it’s the same for other European country’s, they are not afraid to spec something different, they look for ways to improve things. It feels like in the uk some operators just follow trends or just ask the dealer what’s best.

Do you know any other great configurations that other country’s use that we don’t?

they have quite alot of this type of configuration in holland, they are impressive to look at

Trying to find a link now, bear with me :slight_smile:

Sadly the pics are broken: commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … othing-wha

It’s built to comply with the local regulations, probably allowing 5 axles rigids at 40 tonnes.
Would a UK operator benefit from specing a 5 axle rigid when I believe the maximum weight is 32t on 4 axles.

It’s the same as most European tractor units running 4x2 because they run 40 tonnes on 5 axles, but we run 6x2’s because we can run at 44 tonnes with 6 axles.

Hi all. We have a couple of those configurations on rigids,then they have 4 axle trailers behind.
Northland Resources have 5axle rigids with 5axle trailers in Kaunisvaara running at 90ton gross.
We run 4 and 5 axle rigid tippers in the mine at 60ton gross.Mike

Can we not spec 40 tonne on 5? We do on artics, is it not the same as if we did the same on a rigid like they do? I don’t think it is local is it?

hutpik:
Hi all. We have a couple of those configurations on rigids,then they have 4 axle trailers behind.
Northland Resources have 5axle rigids with 5axle trailers in Kaunisvaara running at 90ton gross.
We run 4 and 5 axle rigid tippers in the mine at 60ton gross.Mike

They sound impressive, Do you have any pictures?

ibson:
Can we not spec 40 tonne on 5? We do on artics, is it not the same as if we did the same on a rigid like they do? I don’t think it is local is it?

I’m pretty sure it’s only 32 tonnes on 4 axles with road friendly suspension. The max weight isn’t just to do with axles on the road, but the spread of those axles. I suppose a Rigid being shorter wouldn’t spread the load far enough.

Can’t really see the Tipper industry missing a chance to get another 8 tonnes on a truck for the sake of another axle. :laughing:

Hi all.Ibson. If you google Northland Resources Kaunisvaara,or LKAB,or Aitik.You can see the new trucks they are using up here and get an idea of what is used in the mining industy.
If you scroll through the ex pats site for the post ‘driving in the north of sweden’ you see some posts about life up here.mike

muckles:

ibson:

I’m pretty sure it’s only 32 tonnes on 4 axles with road friendly suspension. The max weight isn’t just to do with axles on the road, but the spread of those axles. I suppose a Rigid being shorter wouldn’t spread the load far enough.

Can’t really see the Tipper industry missing a chance to get another 8 tonnes on a truck for the sake of another axle. :laughing:

Yeah it is only 32 on 4 as far as I know, I thought you meant we couldn’t have 5 axles on a rigid, I’m not sure if that’s right or not, I have never seen information restricting a vehicle in the uk to 4 axles and if we were allowed 5 why it would be restricted to 32 tonnes.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

muckles:

ibson:

Just thinking about what you said, would spreading the load over a longer distance with the exact same number of axles really make a difference? It’s still the same number of contacts to the floor :s again I’m sorry if I’m wrong or stupid lol

ibson:

muckles:

ibson:

Just thinking about what you said, would spreading the load over a longer distance with the exact same number of axles really make a difference? It’s still the same number of contacts to the floor :s again I’m sorry if I’m wrong or stupid lol

I suppose even though you have the same contact patch, the total weight is spread over a shorter distance on the road. This might be a problem especially on bridges.

Something about axle spread and weight on the bottom of this page.

dew:
Trying to find a link now, bear with me :slight_smile:

Sadly the pics are broken: commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … othing-wha

That thing is epic!

hutpik:
Hi all.Ibson. If you google Northland Resources Kaunisvaara,or LKAB,or Aitik.You can see the new trucks they are using up here and get an idea of what is used in the mining industy.
If you scroll through the ex pats site for the post ‘driving in the north of sweden’ you see some posts about life up here.mike

Thanks hutpik :slight_smile:

Something I’ve wondered about for a long time, you can have a 4x2 unit with a short tandem trailer running 38t so why can’t my 8x2 with a deisgn weight of 36t run at that.

Also I’m surprised that 15m coaches are allowed as long as they have a certain turning radius yet trucks are restricted to 12m.

I know there are mobile cranes and concrete pumps etc that are classed as plant but I’m talking about everyday trucks.

muckles:

ibson:

muckles:

ibson:

I suppose even though you have the same contact patch, the total weight is spread over a shorter distance on the road. This might be a problem especially on bridges.

Something about axle spread and weight on the bottom of this page.
Vehicle Axles | Transports Friend

That’s really interesting, I think we have missed a trick! Lol

Thanks for the info muckles.

8wheels:
Something I’ve wondered about for a long time, you can have a 4x2 unit with a short tandem trailer running 38t so why can’t my 8x2 with a deisgn weight of 36t run at that.

Also I’m surprised that 15m coaches are allowed as long as they have a certain turning radius yet trucks are restricted to 12m.

I know there are mobile cranes and concrete pumps etc that are classed as plant but I’m talking about everyday trucks.

That’s very true, I think they need to sort the regs out!

Careful of what you wish for, we’ll end up with one of these with a 100t/m crane and a beavertail body. Yes of course I can move your D8 for you!