Getting itch to set up on own

Hi guys a it of a newbie. I’m a third generation trucker so got some experience going out with my dad. Live in north east uk. And getting itch to start up on my own is it worth the risk.
I’m thinking of getting the study papers for transport manager cpc and going from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144113
Read this>get at least a couple of years driving experience>read again>if in any doubt walk away.

seriously just give it a good scratch and it will go away.

Obtaining an Operator’s CPC can only ever be a good thing to do, it’s a professional qualification. As for running a truck, that may or may not be a good thing to do, it depends on a lot of factors including both hard work and luck. Eddie Stobart started with one truck.

Best advice I could give to an aspiring OD is “Make sure you always have an escape route”. It would be an awful thing to have your home repossessed because you had financed your truck against it and you were knocked by your main customer.

I did it for four years, and I earned a reasonable living at it, but not enough more than an employed driver to make it worth replacing the truck when it needed replacing. I don’t regret doing it though, not for a New York minute.

It will work for some and wont for others. Working for yourself though is what its about, not being a slave to an employer lining their pockets when you could be lining your own.All i can say is that i now make more money than ive ever done in my life…

The only thing I would need to consider is what type of work I would do. Where I live theres tee sport which if clever could provide good income. There boc tankers/ container work also and loads of small firms to and the famous Wilton site to

Teesport will provide a regular income for an owner driver but you wont make good money on containers, by the time everyones had there bite theres not much left

chaversdad:
Teesport will provide a regular income for an owner driver but you wont make good money on containers, by the time everyones had there bite theres not much left

That is a popular myth, but depends on a load of factors. For some reason, most people only think of maritime and wincanton subbies where boxes are concerned. Local work on job rates will give you a living, between ok and good depending on your truck. Most of our subbies are all running kit under 6 years old. A few with older, but on the whole they all seem content

Wouldn’t touch maritime lol not mad lol

An owner driver wont get direct with a sbjpping line out of teesport so your gonna be a subby for maritime wincanton or containerships and your not going to be buying new trucks every year on that

AndrewG:
It will work for some and wont for others. Working for yourself though is what its about, not being a slave to an employer lining their pockets when you could be lining your own.All i can say is that i now make more money than ive ever done in my life…

• at least a 100. :smiley:
    OP
    I don’t pull anyone else’s trailers only my own.

I also don’t get my work through another transport company ( not saying i ever would as you never know).

I went directly to the clients door.

Dannyboy,

I’m only a little ahead of you in a similar plan. Some advice from someone who has just gone through it:

1. Home (or cab) study can seem like a good idea, mainly on the basis of cost, but going on a course will give you a much better experience and a greater chance of passing. The FTA do a two week intensive course, which is the way I did it. Two four day weeks back to back in the class room at FTA in Leeds with a class of 13 people. DId a bit of networking and lot of learning, with the multi-choice done on a laptop there and then at the end of the course.

A month later it was back to Leeds for a two day case studies revision course which covered the high notes again and gave us a mock to sit before it was off to a local hotel for the big day. My certificates turned up yesterday so Yay!!

Side note, my Certificates turned up yesterday, 27/04/2017. My exam was 03/03/2017 and of course unless you have an external TM lined up, you cant put in the O-Licence application, (9 weeks wait) until the certificates turn up because you have to prove your own competence.

1. Wincanton are offering £1.30 per mile on the boxes at the moment with a fuel escalator of 0.4% per penny fuel rises above £0.98 per litre. They told me their subbies are invoicing about £2.2 to £2.5k per week based on five days. Last I heard Maritime were tracking about £0.05p per mile behind that but these things do flex a bit. Both offer week one paid in week two so help start up cash flow but if you can hold off on being paid for a month or so, try getting on the RoRo trailers out of different ports, because from what I’ve been told, (second hand but from a reliable source) the rates are about £0.07 per mile higher which doesn’t sound like a lot but over a weeks work it could very well add up to four sets of nights out money.

2. I have found that you will get the best deals on trucks by renting rather than buying or leasing straight off. I’m looking at a 64 plate Actros BigSpace 2551 for around £380 per week, compared to a new 2545 for £429 per week on lease. That should do me until I’m on my feet properly then, with a bit more experience under my belt of running a truck rather than just driving it, I can spec up what I actually want new on a lease, or take the more risky but cheaper option of buying something second hand.

I was always sure that going owned was better than going leased but have had my mind changed by a friendly local operator. Yes, leasing is more expensive than buying, and at the end you don’t own it, but you know than unless you are unlucky enough to get a nail through a tyre, the truck is only going to cost you £429 a week, where as if a turbo goes on an older, owned unit, you could need to find £6k plus in hurry.

1. The new online Operator Licensing system is very good, apart from the fact that after submitting everything electronically, you then have to do all the old manual paperwork as well. Oh, and the Office of the Traffic Commissioner ■■■■■■■ about having lots of work to do, but the case workers seem to be on a rota of one week work, two weeks leave, one week work…

2. Insurance will be eye-watering. Your car record, or even your truck driving record for other operators counts for nought when getting your first truck policy. Anticipate quotes from £6500-£12000.

3. Unless you have exceptional credit, and your company has been trading for while with filed accounts, expect to pay a fairly hefty bond for your fuel cards. You eventually get it back but most fuel card providers will ask for effectively 3 weeks up front as security, then as you prove you can be a good boy and pay each invoice on time, you start to get it credited back to you. Fuel card credit terms are usually 14 days after invoice for newbies, and they invoice weekly, (and usually Thursday too so you cant be cheeky and sneak a fill up in to the next week of funds are tight)

If you have the itch, by all means scratch away! You will never forgive yourself in ten years time if you don’t at least try it.

Good luck.