Owner Driver, should I, shouldn't I?

Hi
I am new to TruckNet and I have joined for various reasons, but my burning question is- should i go it alone.
I am an experienced driver of nearly ten years (34yrs old) of PCV and LGV both domestically and in Europe and I have my C+E(class one), all ADR classes except explosives and radiation and fully driver cpc’d.

I have worked freelance in the past including as a driver trainer/ assessor but never worked as an actual owner driver.
I am currently due next month to study my managers cpc in order to be able to apply for an O’Licence should I decide to.

My other work has been with various companies and agencies and I now reside at Veolia as a Fleet Compliance/ Contract Supervisor.

I have been looking into some of the contract haulier schemes and wondered if anyone had any views on this. The ones I have been looking at are Maritime, Wincanton (although they are very hard to deal with) and Tarmac/ Lafarge.
The issue been I have done the tramping days and don’t really want that or at least not a lot, so would rather be local(Sheffield). Maritime say they could possibly do something but my feelings would probably be Tarmac as the best choice for this.

But I was hoping for some advice and is it actually a good earner■■?

If you have a decent employed job, working for a reasonable employer and are earning a fair wage then my advice would be to stick with that.

The options you are looking at i aggree with HM you will be better off as an employed driver at any half decent firm.

Stick with the job you’ve got and try for promotion (TM or similar)

splitshift:
Stick with the job you’ve got and try for promotion (TM or similar)

That makes +4.

Unless you’ve won the lottery and don’t mind throwing money away, in which case I’ll accept a bankers draft or cash only…

Stick with it ,when you’ve got the cpc as well you could climb even higher and earn a lot more than you would doing for the companies you mention .get an old tractor unit to show or ride round in ,you’ll thank me one day !

Golden rule of transport ‘Burn other peoples rubber.’

Heres a free tip, it,s 10% of what you know and 90% of who you know that gets you the work.

Well thanks for all the replies, I don’t think I need to ask the audience anymore.
I accept that times are uncertain and probably turning my back on a secure position would be ludicrous!