Looking for information on owner driving, starting on my own

Hi there. I’m a 26 year old driver wanting to work for myself. I have thought long and hard about becoming an owner driver and going self employed. I’m currently working for a removal firm and I know it might sound like I don’t have a clue but believe it or not we do dock runs with over seas containers, warehouse deliveries, multidropping, European haulage aswell as moving people’s home and business. I feel like I have outgrown the firm and feel like I could work well working for myself. Obviously because of the driving not paying enough I don’t have a spare £30,000 to start up. Does anybody know if I was to do this and was to write up a business plan then I could gain this money through a business loan? I’m aware it’s expensive and I’m trying to weigh up costs. I have decided that I will rent a truck instead of buy one to start and am currently looking up at all the money I will need. So besides my question of can I do this with a bank loan? Is there anymore advice anyone could give me so I can take it on board? I’m a class1 license holder with 6 years experience. Mainly roadtrain experience but some articulated.

Hi Jbredda

I’m a bit groundhog day answering these, so may I suggest you look at past posts on this board going back at least a year and you may find your question has been answered already.

No. You couldn’t make it. Because you are too stupid to use the search function and find the near identical question asked a week or two back. Also you are too lazy to take a look through the Maritime subbies thread where we have covered a large part of this too.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:
No. You couldn’t make it. Because you are too stupid to use the search function and find the near identical question asked a week or two back. Also you are too lazy to take a look through the Maritime subbies thread where we have covered a large part of this too.

Excellent response you answered one thing for me which I thank you for! Only thing is I’m new to this site so unfortunately me and my “stupid” ways don’t know quite how to work it yet. I must add you seem like a very busy person to be commenting like this on a post you are clearly bored of seeing!

Here is a tip. Go to Google and type trucknetuk.com: owner driver.

I am perfectly happy to share my wisdom. Even when it opens me up to a bit of ridicule for doing it wrong, just ask anyone in here. What I’m not perfectly happy to do is repeat myself over and over again for people who think they fancy a willywavers lorry but can’t be arsed to do the research themselves.

Wow it’s the season at the min :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

With the advice of long standing hauliers!

Punchy Dan:

Do you think it coincides with returning to school - playtime is over, we all feel we should knuckle down and do something? :unamused:

Hi jbredda, I can only add that right from the kick off you are going to struggle if you borrow 30k ish from a bank (doubt they would give you it anyway) without any previous experience of running a business. firstly the usual question…do you have any regular WORK/CUSTOMERS lined up to start making some money to run your business, this is your first step…If not then as others have said read all the previous stuff on this forum about becoming your own boss before you go any further, or your done before you,ve even started…go for it but do it properly and for the right reasons.

J, despite other quotes, you are entitled to ask for your own advice. Starting a business the way you propose is the classic way; drawing up a credible business plan with cashflow forecasts etc. Your problem for now is that the bank will almost certainly want any investment they make, to be matched by you, pound for pound.
Far better to try and raise cash through another source. If you do your plan correctly, and show business acumen the bank will perhaps offer you an overdraft facility with your account. Could come in handy. In the meantime, ask about in your current job, and see what opportunities are available. In my job I have met one or two self-employed removal guys, who book containers for overseas removals and pack them themselves. Good luck.

You’re 26 so don’t be in such a hurry, work on a 5 year plan, you can shorten it if thing fall into place, I assume you haven’t got an Operators CPC, so get one of those, save as much money as you can, learn as much of the business side as you can, far more than just being able to drive a truck, get to know what the average rates are and what your costs are likely to be, see if the figures work, especially if you have to pay off a large loan as well, work on getting to know potential customers, I believe they call it networking.
And read the many threads on here and if there is something you’re unclear about, ask the question, mostly sensible specific questions will get some constructive answers and it will help you build you knowledge from the many on here who’ve done it.

I joined Trucknet WAY back in 2003 and if I’d a £ for every similar thread I’ve read in That time,
Boys a boys be on that beach in Spain sipping cool Sangria!!![emoji41] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk