Going for my CPC and going it alone

Been driving since 2004 and I’ve decided to try and get my national and international CPC and try go for it on my own in the next couple of year. It’s always been a dream of mine to own and run my own truck ever since I got up them 3 steps and behind the wheel. I know there are some horror stories but also some success stories out there so it would be nice to hear them all and if anyone could give me a few tips that could be a help to me they would be very much appreciated. I’m doing the them both at home as I can study when I want and at my pace. I would be gratefull if anyone could point me in the right direction for continental work for owner drivers also. :slight_smile:

I’ve decided to try and get my national and international CPC

I thnk there is only one operator cpc now

Yes you are right, they are both included in the pack. You had to do them separate before I think.

Where do I start if your doing it purley to make loads of money forget it but if your doing it because you want to own your own lorry and want a sense of achievement and earn a livin wage go for it
I been an o/d now for 3 years n have no regrets yes there are days when nothing goes right and all you want to do us wallk away from it but arnt employed jobs like that aswell
What I would say is be carefully who you pull for its ok earning xxxx but if you got to wait 90 daysto get paid its a waste of time as fuel company’s wont wait that long for payment generally a week to two weeks
Some people think ye I’ll just go out n buy a ten grand unit and ring up a container company and pull for them I’m not sayin this is wrong or right but what you need to remember is an old lorry will cost you an awfull lot in repairs and down time
Then there’s otheres that get an all singin all dancin lorry on ridiculous repayment terms I’m not saying this is wrong or right either you will have less downtime n maintance costs should be low but that high repayment will have to Be met every month
I myself would buy a two to three year old motor with an r n m the motor would be considerably cheaper than brand new as it would have already depreciated considebly
And still be quite real able I’m not saying this is right or wrong either
Just as a rough and I mean rough pointer my costs are
850-1000 pound for fuel
Unit incl r n m 350
Insurance 75
Tax 15
There’s other things to consider tyres etc holiday pay
Persanal tax
This is rough general outline
I’m not sayin I’m an expert or I’m the best o/d out there but I’m still at it never been other drawn n my bills get paid there’s a lot of doom n gloom merchants on here but there’s also some with good and sensible advice you will also need a o licence I could list the costs etc but if you go on the vosa website it’s all there good luck terry

Thanks for the advice. The unit I’m driving now with the company I work for is only a year old a merc mega space actors so by the time I hopefully get my CPC I could ask our general manager if he could do me a deal on the unit as he always keeps them for 5 year and buys new.

SteveBarnsleytrucker
try emailing harrymonk he has just started out on his own and seems happy with his choice and doing ok , there will be plenty of people on here who will think your mad , if i had to go back driving then i would be looking into doing the same.
good luck.

Cheers Gazza. Everyone has to start somewhere don’t they,and I guess if you put the effort in and are willing to graft the rewards will come in time.

Good luck u will need it i was od for 4 year 2006-2010 luved every min of it bein own boss but it never stops i was on int work even when at home weekends was still at truck getting little jobs done it was litraly 24/7 wife not impressed no prob if ur single i pulled for a French man reasonable rate on 30 days of invoice and always paid on time but still at only made livable wage andstarted with a cpc not much left my mistake was too much start up debt it all happened to quick got the chance and rushed in 1st 2 yrs had to pay out £250 a month for a cpc holder for o lic untill i got my own(took me 4 attempts its not easy ) started with a 10k loan to keep me goin till payments start and there’s not enough in the job to service these plus all other costs certainly if subin 3rd hand u got a chance if work first hand .i dint go bust just come to realise all the hard work and big investment for little reward was mad so sold up paid all debts at a cost of about 20k to me i now work for abbey road tanks on int work no worries hassle and even tho we weekend out more time at home and more wages than i could pay myself .so wish u all the best but think carefully about it

Steve
A good mate of mine is an o/d from barnsley
Lee hawke he is on here
hes been at it about 10yr
Has sum nice new trucks mite be worth having a word
With he is a good lad and may be able to help got his own garage
A think he still looks after a couple of his mates trucks

I ve been an o/d since the seventies at times ran more than one but it just seemed more hassel, some good advice been given you ,all i can add is walk before you run, keep your eye on the cash flow dont let these firms string you out over payments ( ifthey say thirty days dont let them get to 35/40 get on their case right away) they WILL try it on , as your man says a good second hand moter , if you break even first year and make a small profit second year your not far out ,dont listen to the doomongers , go with your gut instict if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. All the best it can be a rewarding experiance.

First thing before anything is find your own customers and work direct

Then find some more

then buy a truck suitable for what they need not what you want to drive…

Almost every one I know who has made a success of going it alone has contacts and does as little subbying as possible - the good (ok decent) paying work is out there but

1. you have to get into a niche area
  2. be good at it and reliable
  3. get as wide a customer base as possible to spread your risk
    You can just keep going subbying for a single client - but your only as good as they are , and if they close shop owing you 60 days - its goodnight to your dreams

Theres a guy up here only runs two trucks - both day cab Hiab fitted, its not the glamorous continental Haulage most dream of - i doubt in a day they go further than 100 kms from the yard- but he works for cabin companies, builder merchants plant hire firms , landscape gardners , builders steel fabricators, - his wagons get 4-5 small jobs ( in lift move drop) in most days and I bet his (in fact I know) his profit margin is way above the 3-5% that is the norm for haulage.

Not the glamorous end of haulage, but he makes good money

My tip, if it fits in a tautliner its not worth touching…

The above two posts are very good advice. Containers ferry trailers any of the mobs advertising in magazines etc is a waste of time. Only way to make money is work direct and something a bit niche.

Daf Man 480:
Steve
Lee hawke he is on here

I know who you mean mate, he started with a DAF with custom made spray job with miners on it. Used to go to same school as me, think he subbied for our company in past.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Daf Man 480:
Steve
Lee hawke he is on here

I know who you mean mate, he started with a DAF with custom made spray job with miners on it. Used to go to same school as me, think he subbied for our company in past.

Christ who aint Hawkie subbed for!!! thats more like it

I’m only in my sixth month, so I’m very much still a novice but things are pretty much going to projection. I make a living at it and a small profit, but that’s all.

Two pieces of advice I was given back in the 1980s when I first asked an Owner Driver (there were loads of them then) about operating a truck.

1. If you have a reasonably decent employed job for a firm which runs legally and treats you with a reasonable amount of respect, then stick with that.

2. Don’t ever borrow money against your family home to buy a truck.

I’ve got some things right and I’ve made some mistakes. I’m sure every OD ever would say the same thing. All you can do is to learn from your mistakes and move on.

As to whether you should do it, yes you should. It might all go ■■■■-up but if you have always wanted to do it and you bottle out now because of some negative opinions from internet losers who have never taken a chance or had a dream in their lives, then you will regret that for the rest of your life, far more than you will regret any money you lose trying and failing.

If you have an itch to scratch, then scratch it. :wink:

Harry Monk:
I’m only in my sixth month, so I’m very much still a novice but things are pretty much going to projection. I make a living at it and a small profit, but that’s all.

Two pieces of advice I was given back in the 1980s when I first asked an Owner Driver (there were loads of them then) about operating a truck.

1. If you have a reasonably decent employed job for a firm which runs legally and treats you with a reasonable amount of respect, then stick with that.

2. Don’t ever borrow money against your family home to buy a truck.

I’ve got some things right and I’ve made some mistakes. I’m sure every OD ever would say the same thing. All you can do is to learn from your mistakes and move on.

As to whether you should do it, yes you should. It might all go ■■■■-up but if you have always wanted to do it and you bottle out now because of some negative opinions from internet losers who have never taken a chance or had a dream in their lives, then you will regret that for the rest of your life, far more than you will regret any money you lose trying and failing.

If you have an itch to scratch, then scratch it. :wink:

Some good advice there Harry…

Thanks for all the advice lads :slight_smile: it won’t be for another year or two and then I’ll give it my all and follow my dream.