The next step.

Well - two months down the line since my two Ivecos went to work - and what an eventful couple of months its been.
What have I learnt?

1. Used Ivecos (520 v8’s especially) are a false economy on Euro work.
  2. Tyres cost a fortune.
  3. Breakdowns are a nightmare (especially abroad).
  4. UK and Italian fuel is a rip-off.
  5. Swiss tax and the Blanc will soon empty your wallet.
  6. German tolls - Austrian tolls expensive. 40 euros just to buy the Austrian Go-Box, then you’ve gotta top it up.
  7. Everone wants a slice of your money.
  8. I hate ferrys.

I could go on, but whats the point?
Every owner-driver will be nodding his head 'cos they know this already.
For the last 2 months, I’ve had more money going out than has been coming in.
no wages for me - but my driver is doing very well thank you.

So, whats the plan?
Last week, my bank told me to get rid of my second truck and my driver.
My wife crunched the numbers and said that we’d be no better off if we did that, so we should carry on down the path we’re currently on.

By the end of the coming week, I will have 2 large vans on the road to offer an express service to customers.
The 2 Ivecos are going.
My white 430 has been a good 'un - with the exception of the ferry incident which was caused by having 2 immobilizers fitted to the unit, and one deciding to go US. The V8 I won’t be sorry to see go.
Its had fuel transfer problems - I had it breakdown last Thursday on the side of a French motorway… Cracked cylinder head… Accelerator cable went on it, bodged up with a paperclip and an elastic band to get it home… Various bad air leaks… New tyres all round (£1600)
:open_mouth:
White ones just had new tyres apart from routine servicing (when I could get them in of course…) :unamused:

I do know what I’m doing to replace the trucks, but until the deal is stamped up, I’m keeping quiet. (Not a word Rob K ).

Just started new driver this morning. He’s experienced in Euro work, which is what I desperately needed, and he also has been covering my trucks when they needed a driver, so the job was promised to him a while ago.
He’s in my white one, while I’m back here sorting a mountain of paperwork and hopefully giving the van side of things a kick-start along with my brother who will be driving one of them to get some experience in Euro work before he gets his mits on any HGV keys.

Trailers.

Nightmare again.
I’ve got 3 Euroliners.
One Samro which is a ■■■■ good one. Purchased without being refurbed.
I’ve also got 2 Eurotrades. These are the ones that are causing me a headache.
Basically, they were refurbed by the dealer selling them. They are both 2001 in year.
The supporting posts that hold the roof and body were protruding quite a bit at the top, and making a rather noticable bulge in the curtains.
I told the dealer to rectify this and straighten them.
What did the muppets do?? :confused:
They cut each of the 4 supporting posts down on both sides, and didn’t even leave any scope for adjustment! :open_mouth:
Theres a big argument now between myself and the finance company and the dealer.
The bodies on the trailers flex really badly.
Its like towing a banana!
Even when there is hardly any wind on the roads, you’d think you were going over Shap in a force 9 gale - its really hard to keep them in a straight line.
The only time you don’t really notice it is when you’re loaded floor to ceiling, which for my work isn’t often.
Upto this day, I’ve told the finance that I’m gonna take the trailers to the hire companies yard who are going to supply me with some good ones, and dump them there. They can see me in court.
They don’t like that! :laughing:
I don’t care anymore though - I’m past caring.
Companies think that they are doing you a favour when you’re a new start by even considering you for supplying rolling stock and the finance to go with it.
Well I’ve had enough, and its time to take a stand. :imp:

Apart from all that, everythings fine and dandy! :laughing:
I’ll let you all know the outcome of all this very soon because I know you all like reading about other peoples misfortunes! :laughing: :laughing:

Ian.

:frowning: Sorry to hear of your troubles Ian; you’re a braver man than me to take it all on that’s for sure :smiley: .

Good luck with the van venture but I think you’d do well steering clear of Iveco’s altogether meself, regardless of how cheap they are :bulb: .

Just go steady for a while and get your head back above water money wise before you go mad with your big plans (you know what I’m referring to :smiley: ).

Got to go through with the plans Rob.
The repair bills and all the down time isn’t doing me any favours.
It’s gonna cost me an arm, a leg, a kidney, my prostate, and an eyeball - but I think its best.
I need to be able to offer a top class reliable service to my customers (not Archbolds), and I can’t guarrantee that with the stock I’ve got at the moment.
In for a penny - in for a pound.
Unless you’re Scottish of course, then it’s “In for a penny? Bugger that!” :laughing:

ianyng:
Got to go through with the plans Rob.
The repair bills and all the down time isn’t doing me any favours.
It’s gonna cost me an arm, a leg, a kidney, my prostate, and an eyeball - but I think its best.

… yes, and your house and livelihood if it all goes belly-up for whatever reason :open_mouth: .

It’s all well and good having these big plans and putting all your eggs in one basket, but what happens when the cheque for the past 2 months work you’ve just done doesn’t turn up, or the company you’re pulling for goes belly-up, or a driver stacks your motor and trailer into a tree, or half the load gets nicked overnight or … etc etc. These are all very realistic and could happen at any time.

I think you’re taking a huge risk for very little gain if you go ahead right now. :frowning: :bulb:

Good luck ianyng with whatever your plans are, I would love to be starting up something on my own, thought about it many times ( vans, tippers,traction work) just havn’t got the balls to do it, plus from some of the stories you here it doesn’t seem like its worth all the hassle, maybe one day ill take the plunge but for now ill just keep on driving for a wage with no hassle and without the risk of having to sell my new baby. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Gav - you can pull a trailer with that!
Get a 5th wheel fitted in the loadspace!

HAHA, you lot would start slating me then though because id be just like a farmer using his fastrac, all id need then was to run on cherry and id be well away :smiley:

janny.your two trucks are they 2axled or 3 ,why because by law you can carry in two tanks 1500liters of fuel,just make sure that no tank is bigger than 900 liters as you come into the ADR/HAZ regs with 1000liter tanks,do you fill up cash or card if cash get the driver to find a garage off the motorway which will be cheaper also fill up in luxemberg it is worth the trip due to the price of fuel and the vat you get back as well,if your doing italy and your trailers are 4.00meters and under use the hucapac
in FREIBURG::—D----NOVERA::I THIS WILLSAVE TIME; CLEAN DISIC:also
you get from calais—freiburg in 10hrs driveing via LUXEMBERG, if you look there are posts about this system of rail transport posted, next in france try to use the national roads, they are okay as well.in regards to useing the train system in germany you can ask them to confirm this quote…“” when useing the train you are exempt the driveing ban in germany
when you have a fax confirming you reservation place on the train,
COME ON THE REST OF YOU O/D,s OUT THERE GIVE HIM A HAND AND PUT SOME TIPS HIS WAY SO THAT IT MAKEWS HIS LIFE A LITTLE BIT EASYIER:

good luck with it ian i really hope everything goes ok for you and dont tell anyone your plans always keep them too yourself to see if it all works out ok.

there isnt a thumbs up emoticons but heres one anyway

THUMBS UP :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck Ian :smiley:

Yes Good Luck, Even if it does sound like a large comitment all at once,

What the idea with the vans, UK or Euro work? or both

What vans you got?

Are you gonna get some real trucks now then? :open_mouth: :smiley:

The vans are Iveco Dailys, and they will be doing Euro mostly.
Well, thats the plan anyway… :laughing:

and what do you mean real trucks?
Scannies?
Not likely! :laughing:
I’ll tell you next week, maybe. :wink:

Buying fuel in Italy is a big no-no, it takes months or years to reclaim VAT. Luxembourg is ok if you are using the train, but I reckon for the extra mileage and wear and tear, you are better off filling up in French Supermarkets, ok it might involve a cash float to get the best deal or an open CB card which puts temptation in the way.

To get totally slated by Rob K :stuck_out_tongue: A good used Renault Premium will not let you down, they are not the most fanciable truck on the market, but they are reliable and cheap. to buy and run. I regularly get over 9mpg with mine.

Another destination might be advisable too. Italian Insurance is ridiculous, and Spain pays very similar rates to Italy, tolls are cheaper in France and fuel is cheaper in Spain and you are not using the Tunnels.

just my 2 pennorth. and Ian, no one wants to read of misfortunes, some of us have been there. The bank will give you a free umbrella, until it rains, then they want it back plus the raincoat

ianyng:

Scannies?

You are a sucker for punishment with these iveco things are’nt you! :laughing:

And what do you mean “Not likely” They are a tad more reliable than them Italian things! :open_mouth:

I’m gonna hide in the corner now, and wait for the tidal wave of abuse!!! :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
To get totally slated by Rob K :stuck_out_tongue: A good used Renault Premium will not let you down, they are not the most fanciable truck on the market, but they are reliable and cheap. to buy and run. I regularly get over 9mpg with mine.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Such a thing doesn’t exist !!!

Don’t listen to him Ian, no no no no no no !!!

Discopete:

ianyng:

Scannies?

You are a sucker for punishment with these iveco things are’nt you! :laughing:

Yeah, too right :laughing: . You’re not the only one to have told him that. He has no taste in colour either because for some extremely bizarre reason he thinks that Securicor Omega Express turqoise is a “very nice colour”. :open_mouth:

Obviously with the amount of time he’s had that box on his head he’s forgotten how vile they look :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses: .

It gets worse

They are ex Securicor Vans!!!

Put it this way where i work we had an iveco garage up the road, They used the same recovery firm as us and I’ll let you guess what spent most of there time getting lifts to the garage

Securicor blue can hardly be a “very nice colour” :open_mouth:

:laughing:

Well I told him to get Sprinter’s but he wouldn’t have it. I think as well as a Sea-France and ferry fetish (let’s not mention his florescent coloured thong fetish :laughing: ), he’s also got a fetish for anything Iveco. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

There’s no hope for him is there :unamused: .

:smiling_imp:

I like the colour - matches my eyes, ok? :sunglasses:
And whats wrong with bright coloured thongs?
Nothing - thats what!
Vans have got good mileage on them also, and they’re in great nik.

ianyng:
Vans have got good mileage on them also, and they’re in great nik.

All Ivecos have low mileage…it comes from being off the road so much :laughing: :laughing:

Personally I think he is doing the right thing running to Italy …He can save money on the parts